Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Bitter End.

The Bitter End.
February 14, 2014, 08:58:41 PM
"The Bitter End" is a common saying in the English language, but few understand its origins.

It is a nautical term that referred, at its inception, to the end of a length of rope - or 'line' in nautical terms - having no knot, no attachment to anything, and being completely useless, merely awaiting some function being applied to it.
It is, in the hands of competent sailors, neatly whipped with 'marline', to prevent its fraying, since in the past, all lines were comprised of twisted strands, rather than being braided, as is common nowadays.

It is a clean ending, with no specific purpose, yet available for adaptation to incidental need.

I recently found myself, flat on my back in an ambulance, in overwhelming pain, being offered laughing gas by a concerned paramedic.
"I don't actually feel much like laughing, right now", I whispered. And so declined to be gassed.

Actually, beyond my indestructible sense of humour, there was method in my madness...

When my time comes, I want to be there, at the bitter end. To experience that most elusive and rare of moments, where life merges into non-life. I'd really hate to miss that.
And, no, there is no bitterness inherent in that idea.
The Bitter End refers to a completely clean, unobstructed, state of readiness for whatever comes next.

Just in case something does.

Re: The Bitter End.
February 15, 2014, 12:40:13 AM
When I get my bitter END, I just want to have sugar in my pocket, not that damn saccharine or stevia.