Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Further ruminations

Further ruminations
February 24, 2014, 01:57:56 PM
I have always focused on being correct.

As it turns out, that's not much of a resource -- in this world, you need popularity/money to get anything done.

Some are thus content writing small blogs, for a small fixed audience... but I see that as throwing the future into the past, not the past into the future as I intend to do.

Even with people such as Jon Wild and Mike Alexander contributing, it takes a good hour minimum daily to keep this site running and updated. Some days (as recently) I don't have the time.

If underground death metal fans had their shit together, they'd chip in on this site because it is correct. It is the way to defend metal and nurture it toward better ends.

But, as we have observed, when the fanbase is faithless, the good musicians go elsewhere. The same may eventually be true of writers.

We don't have the advantage of massive media connections or influential people who will stand up for us, with a few notable exceptions. We're doing the right thing, not the popular (fawning, pandering) thing.

We do however have a lot of stalkers. Once you step outside the easy-lazy transactional framework, the basement greebos and casual neckbeards show up. They waste as much time as they are given.

Many have over the years encouraged me to reverse the way this blog works: instead of blogging to put out information, put the information in a product and use the blog to support it, like everyone else.

If that happens, as far as I'm concerned, the blame lies with the community for not supporting a free and open resource. What got in the way was your own pretense and egomania.

As far as this forum goes, it has for years -- literally a decade -- been a liability that I have defended in the name of free speech and giving people a place to hang out. Instead the neckbeards (kvlt version) have tried to make it into a clubhouse.

Crow's presence here was a test of sorts. He provided real intellectual content; could people step up out of the pseudo-intellectual internet bullshit lord zone, and respond to something that was both unfamiliar and stimulating? Some of you did; I praise those. But the majority remain inert.

That inertia is why you're watching the world crumble around you. McDonald's didn't do it to you, The Jews(tm)(r)(sm) didn't do it to you, nor did government. We The People did it. You did.

I don't have that problem. I'm not inert. Crow's not inert, nor were the classic death metal bands. It's time to either step up to the plate, or have this place go away.

This actually ends up being a very good test:

Come up with a good argument why this forum should persist.

Otherwise, consider the countdown started. Crow, I and others who are not inert are looking forward to reclaiming this time, energy, server resources, etc. for something that succeeds.

Re: Further ruminations
February 24, 2014, 03:40:36 PM
If you're looking for constructive conversation, it's not going to be found in the metal crowd. Period. Most metal heads are fatalists or to some degree drop outs. Fuck em.

If anything, an Amerika.org forum would be far more productive in building a real community around conservatism. Not simply towards the conversation end, but in organizing real community action; the next step after talking and building a loyal readership.

The unfortunate reality, and this is something built into the psychological framework of the internet, is that people get to ventilate, put their beliefs and opinions out there in public and that "feels" like accomplishment. Most never get round to meaningful action.

February 24, 2014, 03:54:13 PM
This may not be much of an argument for keeping the forum around but if not for DMU, I would not have known about Grave, Immortal, Infester, Morpheus Descends, Demilich, Mmassacra, Therion, Ildjarn, Fate's Warning - I needn't continue, my point is made. There are others out there, who are like I was, bored with metal after only a few years, ready to give it up if nothing new and interesting is available. Like myself, they probably would never think that the freshest and most advanced metal would be uncovered deep in the past. Who listens to music from 20 years ago, anyway? That's just not cool.

This is a great place for listeners or musicians who are looking to expand their depth of understanding toward metal. There are a lot of us out there still.

February 24, 2014, 05:06:09 PM
You are right. If this website and the ideas behind it are important to me, then surely I will give back in exchange for what I take. Otherwise I am a leech. In what specific ways do you want forum-goers to contribute to this website? Writing, spreading the good word?

February 24, 2014, 06:55:15 PM
Is not Time for whining.
neither yours nor mine or CROW.
you just have to move on, and this forum has been through worse times, sages come and go and ideas too.
inert am because of my bad English (a fatality since I have so much to say).
Nihilism = fuck all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7yVLWFWUVI

this is the attitude.

February 24, 2014, 06:56:27 PM
I agree with hell. The forum should be kept. Even if things have gone downhill lately (which personally I don't think they really have) it is still way better than just about anything else out there and that's a lot. My only advise would be for people to try and relax a bit more. Keep the conversations serious but civil, and you will enjoy it more. The world is a big enough mess already and I'm certainly not going to let interactions via the internet affect my day so profoundly.

February 24, 2014, 07:05:35 PM
The forum should be kept. Even if things have gone downhill lately (which personally I don't think they really have) it is still way better than just about anything else out there and that's a lot. My only advise would be for people to try and relax a bit more. Keep the conversations serious but civil, and you will enjoy it more. The world is a big enough mess already and I'm certainly NOT going to let interactions via the internet affect my day so profoundly.

Thank You Aquarius for put it better.

February 24, 2014, 07:11:53 PM
In the meantime, anybody with anything negative to say about any named names, especially mine, is gone.
That will leave only those with some faint clue.

February 24, 2014, 08:09:13 PM
Kill it.  Pull the trigger and never look back.

February 24, 2014, 08:39:09 PM
What is that? Advice? Opinion?
Not up to you, is it?
What will be, will be.

February 24, 2014, 08:53:47 PM
What is that? Advice? Opinion?
Not up to you, is it?
What will be, will be.

If the forum is an unproductive drag on bandwidth, and the goal here is something other than vanity, then kill it.  This isn't some short-term experiment that needs more time to develop clear results.  The forum has been around in one iteration or another for like, 15 years.  It is what it is, at this point.  If the forum has not yet produced results commensurate with the resources expended upon them by now, it is unlikely that there is a realistic possibility that they'll add more value going forward.  That's a value judgment better left to folks on the inside who know the score as far as how many resources are being devoted to the forum, but my inclination is to trust that, if DMBM says that the return on the investment hasn't been worth it, it hasn't been worth it.  In which case, my advice is "kill it."

February 24, 2014, 09:06:34 PM
That advice would be valid if every member was a useless deadbeat, but that is not the case.
There are some gems who fly by from time to time.
It is a tough decision to bulldoze their landing-strip without careful thought.
And careful thought entails a process subtly different from impulse and intuition.
It will take a little longer to divine the course ahead.

February 24, 2014, 09:40:52 PM
That advice would be valid if every member was a useless deadbeat, but that is not the case.
There are some gems who fly by from time to time.
It is a tough decision to bulldoze their landing-strip without careful thought.
And careful thought entails a process subtly different from impulse and intuition.
It will take a little longer to divine the course ahead.

There have been non-deadbeat members of the forums for 15 years, but the net result has been what, exactly?  Like I said, this hasn't been some fly-by-night experiment; it's an ongoing project of well over a decade's duration.  It has gone through multiple iterations of reform and reversion to the mean.  I have neither the desire nor the power to impose here; I'm just a witness for the prosecution.

February 24, 2014, 10:38:24 PM
That's the spirit. Too many seem to see themselves as running the joint, while unconsciously wrecking it, instead.
Meanwhile...
I am buried in snow here. The power has been out for 24 hours and I'm staggering along under battery power.
At any moment a huge snow-laden tree may crash down on my house, and that would be all she wrote.
So who knows? What may happen next?
It is supremely beautiful, outside. Beyond any description. What the consequences will be remains to be seen.
If I summarily vanish, myself, this will likely be why.

February 24, 2014, 10:43:54 PM
I see this forum as a gateway to something greater, not a end in itself. I have learn a lot from it so I am grateful to the forum and the site and I am sure that other people have learned and will learn from it if it continue. But if you feel the effort of getting the ''gateway cleaned'' doesn't provide with the result that you have in mind, you may as well put your time in other ventures.

I don't have much to say right now than to go with your heart.