Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Conformal Cyclic Cosmology

Conformal Cyclic Cosmology
March 01, 2014, 11:25:11 PM
Roger Penrose explains his emerging theory of conformal cyclic cosmology
Short version: Roger Penrose is promoting a view of cosmology similar to the eternal recurrence. The two driving principles are a reinterpretation of entropy and the observation that in the absence of the Higgs Boson the universe lacks a natural metric, thus any concept of distance or time becomes meaningless. In light of this, the state of the universe at the beginning of the big bang is identical to that as time approaches infinity. The universe is self-sustaining and cyclic... maybe.

I was quite happy to find a serious attempt at driving physics forward on this topic without resorting to string theory shenanigans.

Re: Conformal Cyclic Cosmology
March 01, 2014, 11:39:43 PM
It will finally come clear even to those super-clever types, that the closest a human can ever come to knowing the Universe, is to accept: It Is What It Is.

March 02, 2014, 02:26:32 AM
Roger Penrose explains his emerging theory of conformal cyclic cosmology
Short version: Roger Penrose is promoting a view of cosmology similar to the eternal recurrence. The two driving principles are a reinterpretation of entropy and the observation that in the absence of the Higgs Boson the universe lacks a natural metric, thus any concept of distance or time becomes meaningless. In light of this, the state of the universe at the beginning of the big bang is identical to that as time approaches infinity. The universe is self-sustaining and cyclic... maybe.

I was quite happy to find a serious attempt at driving physics forward on this topic without resorting to string theory shenanigans.

Thank you. Will watch with great interest.

March 03, 2014, 03:13:30 AM
It Is What It Is.

But what exactly is it? Well, whatever it is, that is what it is!

Over and over they pass this parcel. And only the strong can survive.

Everyone else's brain either explodes or they fall asleep.

March 03, 2014, 09:36:14 AM
I believe that there's a switch in human brain, after thinking too much about some things (maybe, coincidentally, the universe is the greatest one of these things) ti goes off and you become crazy, or in denial.

A friend of mine calls this state (or the fear of this state) "The pins" because one time he had a panic-attack and felt like a trillion pins were colliding inside his brain. :P He is a very intelligent fellow btw but he gives the complete middle-finger to technology, otherwise I would have him join this forum.

One day I was discussing with him this exact topic. And we concluded that either of these two things exist:

1. The universe has a purpose of absolute intelligence, hinted by the existence of evolution. Why? Maybe because someone (...) can later use this intelligence to fight another intelligence in his giga-cosmic fighting board game? who knows. The Consequence? The (this) universe is probably going to end when the realization comes.

2. The universe has the purpose of a "majestic story being told". Why? For the beauty of it. A great love story has a great beauty in it. Even something absolutely horrible like Operation Barbarossa despite the miserable onslaught of everyone involved, has some kind of awe and morbid beauty, you'll have to admit. The Consequence? Absolutely no-one can suggest absolutely nothing, a movie could end in miserable futility (Thelma and Louise), marginal hope (Terminator 2 - The Judgment day), heroic defeat (Braveheart), or even heroic victory (Scent of a Woman). That might suggest cyclic cosmology too.

Any thoughts?

March 03, 2014, 06:29:35 PM
One thought...
Whatever It is about, and whatever Is going on, our own part in It is to be exactly as we were intended to be, in as accomplished a way as possible. This is surprisingly easy to achieve...
The obvious realization, for each identity, is that It is important, and not the individual.
The part the individual plays is to be part of It. To see, to know, to live.
Too easy, so far, for the billions of individuals to recognize.
Too simple to see.

March 03, 2014, 07:53:32 PM
One thought...
Whatever It is about, and whatever Is going on, our own part in It is to be exactly as we were intended to be, in as accomplished a way as possible. This is surprisingly easy to achieve...
The obvious realization, for each identity, is that It is important, and not the individual.
The part the individual plays is to be part of It. To see, to know, to live.
Too easy, so far, for the billions of individuals to recognize.
Too simple to see.

...the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living Father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty, and it is you who are that poverty

March 03, 2014, 08:01:42 PM
People often confuse God with Devil, Devil with God.
They can do this only because they have no idea who/what they, themselves are.
Ironic, isn't it, that Devil-Worshipping deathmetalheads often come closer to being 'Christians' than Christians do?
Forgive me while I allow myself a quiet chuckle :)

March 03, 2014, 09:25:59 PM
Christianity shot itself in the foot by closing the door to individual religious experience and the only ones left inside that room are vain materialists with no eye whatsoever for what's behind the veil. They all deserve to be mocked, scourged and spit upon.

March 04, 2014, 02:35:55 AM
I feel it is of some importance to differentiate between what Christians have lately become, and what they historically once were. They seem not even to be of the same species.
Sadly, I have reached a point where I can have no more truck with any of them.

March 04, 2014, 03:38:23 PM
And you'd be correct. I was speaking in the present tense. Christianity as a sensibility has legitimate value and its institution did save Europe after the fall of Rome. Unfortunately that institution is the one that really shut the door which was never opened even after the various reformations and schisms that brought it to where it is to today. I will go out on a limb though and say the Gospel of Thomas really needs to be preserved and taught above all other Christian texts for a variety of reasons I'll need more coffee to go into.