Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Be Poor!

Be Poor!
March 03, 2014, 08:34:03 PM
Nothing wrong with being poor. I highly recommend it.
The best thing about being poor is not being poor, but having been poor.
So that when you no longer are, you can really appreciate it.

In fact, you will never not-be poor until you have been poor.
And so it is important never to try to deny anybody the opportunity to be poor.

People are always claiming that they have to do things they hate, and deal with people they hate, in order to make a living. But this is just another form of delusion.
Choose poor, and do it on your own terms, not somebody else's.

The only really bad kind of poor, is to be poor while having not-quite-enough stuff.

Re: Be Poor!
March 03, 2014, 11:24:00 PM
I've observed many a person to be materially/financially rich but poverty-stricken in spirit. Though I can honestly say this isn't an issue for me, I do get worn out just trying to keep up with the rest of the world (for which it largely is). Eventually hoping to make a break for it though.

March 04, 2014, 03:35:16 PM
We may have a lot more poverty up ahead because the old non-wealth generating bloat is deflating. Off the top of my head Blockbuster, JC Penny, Checkers and today Radio Shack are going through downsizing, usually shutting down locations and booting out the excess employees. Other big names have also done so or have cancelled some growth strategies which includes no new hires (promoting from within) and no new store locations. This is great in the large, long term view but many people are going to have harder lives than otherwise with the junk wealth locked up or dissipated.

March 04, 2014, 05:03:49 PM
Jobs remain highly overrated.

March 04, 2014, 08:25:58 PM
Ascetic zeal - beware of hubris.

March 04, 2014, 08:43:13 PM
Being an ascetic in the West really isn't an option. Not one in a million would achieve it, as things currently stand.
Whereas hubris...

There's nothing especially wonderful about being poor, except perhaps when one has never achieved such a state.
It is a good thing to have known, as a matter of the perspective it can give. Some things are unimaginable, until experienced.

Almost nothing is anything like as bad as one imagines, when one is actually experiencing it.

March 05, 2014, 10:26:56 PM
Ascetic zeal - beware of hubris.

Being an ascetic in the West really isn't an option. Not one in a million would achieve it, as things currently stand.

Whereas hubris...

I agree with this. Stripping away all earthly possessions is incongruent with this modern life. It would completely miss the point for most people. Generally I try to let what I need rather than want be my guiding star. Of course there's always the chance that I get those two confused or argue that "a little indulgence is necessary every once in a while".