Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Crimea 2014

Re: Crimea 2014
March 17, 2014, 02:43:54 PM
All these mechanisms ensure that nationality is a fleeting thing.

There are many pressures on everything on earth. If a thing does not resist, it is destroyed. That does not mean we should assume the destruction as a given.

As Shiva dances he creates as he creates so he destroys. I don't see where creation begins and destruction ends. Do you?

March 17, 2014, 05:06:18 PM
Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.

Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?

Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.

March 19, 2014, 11:28:17 PM
What is freedom?

Coca-cola?

McDonald's?

The privilege of having your laws decided for you in Brussels?

To say otherwise is to render yourself a demon.

Apples and oranges. The EU being a trainwreck doesn't make Russia a positive influence on the Ukraine. If this situation gives ethnic Ukrainians more autonomy it's a positive thing

The thing is people don't always want autonomy until they find out what it is, and even then it can be a facade, a false promise. If Ukraine honestly wants to forge it's own identity then that's great, I can sympathize with that. But should the path towards that identity involve cutting all historical ties, modernizing for the hell of it?

Whatever the case, you have to admire the way Putin seemingly couldn't give a damn in the face of western hyper-moralistic vitriol.

March 21, 2014, 07:10:58 PM
I know that stalinist Russia is often associated with some conservative principles, but pure power should have certain content for that to be true. It's common western misconception since.... when? "Scratch the Russian and find the Tartar", that decadent West must be warned about its delsions?

A hint: Russia claims, that she is fighting there against fascism and for a world peace. It is exactly same propaganda as in 1939. One may say, that it is purely cynical, But In fact, at its core, Russian oligarchy is after same things as western liberals. That is, if you can see past their rhetoric. Westerners of course are conditioned to tremble before any traces of fascism, so this strategy is effective on many fields. Westerner thinks: it would be better if Putin take care of that barbaric land full of such disgusting rabid dogs.

I'd also add that the Russians have pretty much been an imperial people since the day they first emerged into conscious existence as a nation, while the Ukrainians have pretty much always been a subject people.  That's one of those iron truths of history, and it's why Ukraine has no real history as an independent state: it is and has always been an appendage of the Russian Empire.

Are peasant origins of Switzerland or Finland also so important? Do you believe that it would be somehow better if Finns were governed by Russians? Nevertheless, they were trying to do that. Didn't it occur to you, that maybe it's Russia which represents crowdism in that conflict? It's brutal oligarchy vs people, which I would call "primordial". Right wing, paramilitary organizations (even C18!) showed some spirit there. They have won skirmishes with regular militia squad, then forced captives to make vows of loyalty. Now they are calling for renewal for whole Europe, with Ukraine as a starting point. Unprecedented chance for something entirely different. Of course it's very unlikely, that people of merit will play any further role. New elites are already saturated by liberals, who wish to open Ukraine for financial colonization by UE.

Fuck Russia. 
Every Ukrianian I know wants them out of their country.  No matter what you intellectuals say about their roots the fact of the matter is Ukrainian people want their country to be free.  The fact that their government has been ridden by corruption and always influenced and sabotaged by Russian power and other foreign forces is a different matter.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/people-in-crimea-are-taking-selfies-with-soldiers?s=mobile

They sure look like they hate those awful, imposing Ruskies.

Ethnic Russians are the majority in Crimea.

Yeah, but not only that. Let me explain.
Russia's policy at least since Stalin's time is a vicious ethnic management. Ethnic blending and transfers of people loyal to them and usually placed on privileged positions, in order to disrupt unity within native population. So, they import contingent of ethnic Russians to some place, and then, they can even resort to democratic instruments to maintain their influence. Not to mention, that they often install paid elites comprised of traitors in order to secure Russian interest. With time, thanks to such socio-political engineering, identity of common people is withered, they became misguided, demoralized and somehow they start to identify with foreign interests, often with pretense of some abstract justice and universal ethic. Such nations are forever crippled, with enemy within impossible to overcome. At the same time, identity and interests (be it ideological or purely financial) of collaborating elites remembering about their obligations to their principals remains stable.

March 22, 2014, 06:35:06 AM
Westerner thinks: it would be better if Putin take care of that barbaric land full of such disgusting rabid dogs.

No they don't at all. Ukraine isn't considered non-Western in a biological or cultural sense. Incivility isn't as important: we can read the crime reports about our own kind in our own newspapers. Such contempt is sometimes held for non-white foreign people however.

April 17, 2014, 03:36:44 PM
About some of the pro-Russian side:

Jews in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk where pro-Russian militants have taken over government buildings were told they have to "register" with the Ukrainians who are trying to make the city become part of Russia, according to Israeli media.

Jews emerging from a synagogue say they were handed leaflets that ordered the city's Jews to provide a list of property they own and pay a registration fee "or else have their citizenship revoked, face deportation and see their assets confiscated," reported Ynet News, Israel's largest news website.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/04/17/jews-ordered-to-register-in-east-ukraine/7816951/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomWorld-TopStories+(USATODAY+-+World+Top+Stories)

April 19, 2014, 02:21:06 AM
Yeah, but not only that. Let me explain.
Russia's policy at least since Stalin's time is a vicious ethnic management. Ethnic blending and transfers of people loyal to them and usually placed on privileged positions, in order to disrupt unity within native population. So, they import contingent of ethnic Russians to some place, and then, they can even resort to democratic instruments to maintain their influence. Not to mention, that they often install paid elites comprised of traitors in order to secure Russian interest. With time, thanks to such socio-political engineering, identity of common people is withered, they became misguided, demoralized and somehow they start to identify with foreign interests, often with pretense of some abstract justice and universal ethic. Such nations are forever crippled, with enemy within impossible to overcome. At the same time, identity and interests (be it ideological or purely financial) of collaborating elites remembering about their obligations to their principals remains stable.

Oh yes,  I am very aware of the policy of Russification.  It is more at work in places like Ukraine and areas adjacent to the Caucasus at this time, but it has left its mark so much that even some Asiatic peoples in Siberia identify as being Russian.