Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Top tier metal of the last decade (2003 - 2013)

Avzhia Key of throne
Demoncy Enthroned is the Night
Beherit Engram

There is a thread here from 2012, where there is a list of top bands. It is gatagorized by genre, and someone argued the inclusion of Gorgoroth.  I've searched unsuccessfully for this over the past week. Does anyone remember the thread title or care to post a link?

Much appreciated.

Thanks for starting this thread. There have been numerous "Best of the Year" threads, but this gives us the chance to look through these "Best" albums and see the new classics have really stuck and are worth listening to.

Those albums are great choices, I would add:

Summoning - Oath Bound
Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Profanatica - Profanatitas De Domonatia
Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument
Lord Wind - Ales Stenar
Thoth - Zamglenie

I agree about the mentioned Summoning albums.

Personally, I would also recommend:

BM
Averse Sefira - Advent Parallax

DM
The Chasm - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
Zealotry - The Charnel Expanse

PM/HM/NWOBHM
Adagio - Underworld

I'm going to get behind the Profanatica release in addition to the OP.

Summoning:
Oath bound has moments of greatness next to plodding disaster.
Old Mornings Dawn while excellent, isn't really a metal album.

Lord Wind:
Honestly, this music is just GAY. Like some bad LARP soundtrack. It looks too much to the past. I'd rather hear genuine folk relevant to now. Not not BS psuedo pagan populism.

Averse Sefira:
Musically brilliant, but the objectification of emotion at the core of the music is wanting. Don't get me wrong, the band deserves high praise, but they are just under top tier.

The Chasm:
They peaked long ago and it shows. This record isn't bad by any means. Adventurous but lacking in concise presentation of ideas.

Zealotry:
Excellent debut hampered by muddy production that loses the music under the vocals. The songwriting does need some work. There are awkward transitions between ideas here and there. On occasion, portions of the internal narrative feel forced. Highly recommended but again, just under top tier.

My submission: Imprecation - Satana Tenebrea whatever

Clear concise communication. This is an album with a purpose. It sounds inspired and unlike much of the OSDM crowd it manages to have its own voice.

Summoning:
Oath bound has moments of greatness next to plodding disaster.
Old Mornings Dawn while excellent, isn't really a metal album.

Agree. Summoning is top-tier epic synth music along with Ildjarn-Nidhogg - Hardangervidda.

Avzhia Key of throne

Your post prompted me to listen to this album, and WOW. I have not been this floored by a piece of music in a long time! This is absolutely phenomenal black metal. I had to try In the Nightside Eclipse again and again before I appreciated it, but for some reason The Key of Throne resonates with me very naturally.

To me, Oath bound is way better than Old Mornings Dawn though. OMD is quite uninspiring except for three songs.

To me, Oath bound is way better than Old Mornings Dawn though. OMD is quite uninspiring except for three songs.

I thought Oath Bound sounded a bit too linear and repetitive compared to the follow-up. Though I can see what they are trying to accomplish and for the most part they succeed at it.

Avzhia Key of throne

Your post prompted me to listen to this album, and WOW. I have not been this floored by a piece of music in a long time! This is absolutely phenomenal black metal. I had to try In the Nightside Eclipse again and again before I appreciated it, but for some reason The Key of Throne resonates with me very naturally.

Hell yeah. It had that effect on me too.
It's one of the few albums from the last decade that I can honestly say is a sure thing.

I thought Oath Bound sounded a bit too linear and repetitive compared to the follow-up. Though I can see what they are trying to accomplish and for the most part they succeed at it.

Oath Bound was too linear???? @@

Independently of the vagueness of the term, I am going to roll with that description and assume I interpreted it correctly.  I usually use this term in the context of structure arrangement, but it seems you are using it to describe something along the lines of texture.

As far as I could tell, there was more voice independence in Oath Bound (thus more widening of the sound, more divergence; contrapunctal), which is why I liked it more than OMD (which sounds more "linear" -- line-dependent-- to me) at first. But then I learned to appreciate them as two different approaches.  OMD  has less independence in the voices and not only chord completion among them but echoing a same idea or melody from one instrument to the other. Oath Bound's independence in the voices means you will hear more DIFFERENT ideas going on at the same time (similar to what you can hear in the Khazad-Dum, from the album Dol Goldur. that being said, I did not think it was too messy, but it is rather difficult to control and it is probably the reason why it seems to get boggy at times.  OMD sounds, to me, more focused and rather efficient at achieving a solid result.

Oath Bound was too linear???? @@

Independently of the vagueness of the term, I am going to roll with that description and assume I interpreted it correctly.  I usually use this term in the context of structure arrangement, but it seems you are using it to describe something along the lines of texture.

As far as I could tell, there was more voice independence in Oath Bound (thus more widening of the sound, more divergence; contrapunctal), which is why I liked it more than OMD (which sounds more "linear" -- line-dependent-- to me) at first. But then I learned to appreciate them as two different approaches.  OMD  has less independence in the voices and not only chord completion among them but echoing a same idea or melody from one instrument to the other. Oath Bound's independence in the voices means you will hear more DIFFERENT ideas going on at the same time (similar to what you can hear in the Khazad-Dum, from the album Dol Goldur. that being said, I did not think it was too messy, but it is rather difficult to control and it is probably the reason why it seems to get boggy at times.  OMD sounds, to me, more focused and rather efficient at achieving a solid result.

I was actually thinking in terms of the structural arrangement of individual songs (something which has long been their biggest obstacle). Perhaps as an album, Oath Bound is more sweeping and has a better progression between each song, but the songs themselves rely on a formula that, though well hidden, becomes a bit predictable after 5 minutes. Many people have identified this as their downfall, suggesting that they should either trim the songs down or inject more 'feral' energy etc.

Old Mornings Dawn overcame this somewhat by relying less on a sequential formula and expanding the thematic cross-over within individual songs, allowing for a greater immersive experience within, yet not between, each song. Still I think it is a big step forward.

Summoning - OMD, Oath Bound
Graveland - Cold Winter Blades, Fire Chariot of Destruction
The Chasm - Farseeing...., Spell of Retribution
Skepticism - Alloy, Farmakon
Sorcier Des Glaces - Moonrise, Puressence of Primitive Forests
Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument, Ales Stenar
Morgion - Cloaked By Ages, Crowned in Earth
Beherit - Engram
The new Empyrium when it is released
Key of Throne was a damn good album, agreed

I had to re-visit Key of Throne because of this thread, and yes, whoa, way better than I remember it!  It's a keeper and they even incorporate that sort of choir/monk humming/murmuring thing, always a favorite technique.

There is a thread here from 2012, where there is a list of top bands. It is gatagorized by genre, and someone argued the inclusion of Gorgoroth.  I've searched unsuccessfully for this over the past week. Does anyone remember the thread title or care to post a link?

Much appreciated.

I think you are referring to this list: (the thread is probably removed).

HEAVY

* Angel Witch
* Judas Priest
* Iron Maiden
* Black Sabbath

HEAVY/SPEED

* Motorhead

SPEED

* Metallica
* Nuclear Assault
* Exodus
* Voivod