Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Why?

Why?
March 10, 2014, 05:37:02 AM
I have a big Maine Coon cat. Every time I look at it, it is looking at me. Right in the eye.
I have a rabbit, too, that pretty much does the same thing.
Raccoons look at me. Birds...

Humans are the only creatures that ask questions in order to 'learn'.
But they don't learn anything by asking questions.
Any answer they may get inserts an abstraction between themselves and what they wish to 'learn'.
They 'learn' words associated with whatever it is. But they learn nothing about it.

What is 'God'? Who is going to tell you? Who knows?
Creatures do not ask, or wonder. They do what they always do. They live.
I am one of them.
You could be, too.

Re: Why?
March 10, 2014, 08:08:48 PM
I was reminded of these beautiful verses penned by Angelus Silesius:

Die Rose ist ohne warum; sie blühet weil sie blühet,
Sie acht nicht ihrer selbst, fragt nicht, ob man sie siehet.

The Rose is without 'why'; she blooms because she blooms,
She cares not for herself, asks not, whether she is seen.

March 10, 2014, 08:30:47 PM
That was well said.
We are encouraged, early, to have questions. Adults want children to provide them with opportunities to supply answers. But what use is an answer, without the experience that provides the answer? Nothing can be 'known' unless it is experienced, first-hand.
Perhaps I could answer any question, but my answer would be dependent upon the context I have, through being me.
In order to make actual use of my answer, the questioner would - in effect - have to be me.

Prozak, Stevens, crow, have one thing in common: a tendency not to supply answers, but to supply the encouragement to find one's own answers, via one's own experience.
What the crowd knows is not knowledge at all. It is mere buzz.
What the individual learns, through living the individual's own life, is the only real knowledge it is possible to have.

Ergo: to gain real knowledge, ask no questions.
Observe. Experience. Live.

March 10, 2014, 09:12:04 PM
answers kill the mystery of life

March 10, 2014, 10:01:58 PM
Yes. Also they stand-in for the living of life.
Perhaps a man, if sufficiently self-disciplined, could benefit from the knowledge of others, in addition to his own experience. But men are notably lacking in self-discipline.

March 10, 2014, 11:35:02 PM
If there is any answer, it is this:

If your mind has the capacity to think up a question, then surely it can produce an answer as well.

That's something I've read someone else say. But I thought that was very insightful, and it made me look at my own questions in a different way. It made me question myself as a being asking question.

Did I learn anything from it? Well yes and no. It pointed me in the right direction - by reminding me not to look where I already knew there was nothing to be found.

If your looking for light, don't seek out the darkness.

Perhaps Plato was right when he said that all learning is remembering (re-cognition).

March 10, 2014, 11:50:17 PM
Ah! That's truth. Plato rocks. Probably because he spent so much time considering rocks. Good to see you!

March 10, 2014, 11:55:06 PM
Plato spent much time considering rocks. Untill there was nothing left to consider. Then he left the cave.

Thanks! Decided to give the forum another shot.

March 11, 2014, 03:18:24 AM
How is any experience not an abstraction?

March 11, 2014, 03:25:16 AM
Haven't you had any experiences? Surely you can answer your own question.
You know something by doing it, ie: living it. Nothing abstract about that.
Abstraction occurs when you hear of something, then imagine the experience of what you hear as being your own experience. You have never lived it, therefore you can not know it.
Pretty basic stuff.

March 11, 2014, 04:22:27 AM
There is a difference between physical experience and intellectual information, but is it as strong as has been suggested?

All perception is a gamble in a way; our experience of reality is filtered by the sensations screened by our nervous system and organized in our brain. It may be that there is always a gap between "that which is" and "that which can perceive it". Humans are notorious for creating errors in any number of ways in this process. Having an "experience of something" does not mean that "something' actually exists, but there is extreme difficulty in convincing some people of that.

In regards to words conveying knowledge: it may be that they can't provide the experience, but they can enable one to have it: if i have no idea how to fix my snowblower and I look online at guides which explain how to do it, and then I do it, I am putting into practice something which works and did not originate with myself.

March 11, 2014, 04:37:34 AM
That was very predictable. I was merely waiting for you to go to the trouble of writing it.
Why are you here? Why do you socialize, at all? Why speak, or listen? Why live?
Perhaps you wish to become more than you were yesterday, and more than you are today.
Who knows what motivates anybody else? I don't.

This forum, and its sister site, concern themselves with presenting things not commonly known.
Not teaching, not idealizing, not preaching. Presenting.
One may consider these presented things, if one chooses to. Or not.

Many of these presented concepts are presented because they are not commonly known.
Thus fools will not recognize them, and so will automatically call them crap.
But the most profound snippets of what can be known, can come so well camouflaged that none recognize them, for the baffling reason that they are so simple, so obvious, as to not register on anyone's radar.

Only the exceptional seem able to recognize these truly worthwhile shared observations about the nature of things.
It is too much to expect that the crowd will ever become so aware.
What side do you fall on? Listen, consider, keep your peace until your investigation is complete?
Or - like Pavlov's dog - shout down the messenger as a moron?

March 11, 2014, 10:15:33 AM
It's a strange paradox, really:

We can never see reality as it is - that's the way it's always been.

Meaning: Reality is - at heart - unreal.

Being a student of philosophy myself, I know how wonderfully fascinating the divide between perception and reality can be. It can be a useful thing to consider. It is something to meditate on.

It is however not to be taken as destiny.

The divide between perception and reality is an opportunity. As we recognize the two as different from each other, we are led to consider when and how we perceive reality in a faulty way - and at the same time to consider how we could possibly know that reality is something other than our perceptions, if it was indeed impossible to bridge the gap.

If one follows this path to its logical conclusion, then - voila.

Voila being french, meaning: There it is/there you are.

March 11, 2014, 01:25:59 PM
How is any experience not an abstraction?

Because abstraction is a distinct mental process that takes you from identifying this or that to these. You start at figuration, this barking four legged creature, that barking four legged creature, and the next step is the formulation of the abstraction "dog."

March 12, 2014, 06:23:59 PM

Humans are the only creatures that ask questions in order to 'learn'.
But they don't learn anything by asking questions.
Any answer they may get inserts an abstraction between themselves and what they wish to 'learn'.
They 'learn' words associated with whatever it is. But they learn nothing about it.

How do you know that 'creatures' do not ask why? Have you been inside the brain of anything other than yourself? Reducing animals to your perception of brain function is metaphysics. We can never know what goes on inside them, nor make any value-judgements thereof.