Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Meaning? Purpose? Oh yes...

Meaning? Purpose? Oh yes...
March 18, 2014, 07:25:18 PM
It's a very odd, and a very human thing, to wonder about such things as meaning and purpose.
A matter of unequaled blindness - of not being able to see the forest for the trees!

Life. What is the most obvious quality of life? It lives. It is living. Alive.
The second most obvious thing, that as humans, we know, is that it is not everlasting. It dies.
So between the living and the not-living, there is an unknown, but finite amount of time.
A good idea, don't you think, to pack in as much living as possible, before one lives no more?

As for purpose, well, again, it is too obvious. That packing-in of as much living, experience, learning, building, is the purpose. It being a one-shot deal, this living, why wouldn't one at least try to live it, while being alive?

Meaning? Life is for living. What else could the meaning of life be?
Purpose? To live as fully and completely as one can.

To all those who claim there is no meaning and no purpose, I have only this to say:
"Get a life!"

Re: Meaning? Purpose? Oh yes...
March 18, 2014, 10:21:39 PM
Life is always more than just being alive.  A tree doesn't just sustain itself.  It wants to grow.  Perhaps meaning and purpose are just the human manifestation of this will.

March 19, 2014, 12:37:13 AM
I know, and you know, but there are those that don't seem to.
Grow. Yes. That's it. Up and up, right out the window, through the clouds, up, up...
Jack and the Beanstalk.
There's giants to kill, and the clock is ticking!

March 19, 2014, 10:37:55 AM
There are limits to growth and the consequences of missing those limits are always fatal. Being blessed with a degree of sentience to recognize this simple fact, we can do better than most organisms. The adaption which is responsible for these levels of sentience is stacked utop other layers which readily cause to miss and ignore limits.

March 19, 2014, 10:49:26 AM
Life itself is always fatal.
But perhaps you mean reasonable limits?
People often register surprise that I do not still meditate. But the reason is simple. I started out hoping to discover the meaning of life, and if the idea of spirituality was real, or bullshit. Once I discovered that, and incidentally a whole lot more, I was satisfied that all was well, and so had no further to go, while still being alive.
I have no need/desire to dwell with the Gods in situ. Not yet, anyway.

March 19, 2014, 11:16:03 AM
With regards to fatality, yes life is always fatal, but being cognizant of limits can spare one from an earlier and unnecessarily harsh death.

I mean reasonable growth. It's unwise to expect growth to be the normal activity. As with your spiritual growth, you found a reasonable conclusion and now reside on a sustainable base.

I have a friend who's big into body building. A few years back he hit a plateau on his growth by what could be supported by his already enormous intake of food and nutrition. The next step in his pursuit of growth was the use of steroids. The ill effects caused considerable strain in multiple areas of his life. Not only can he no longer use steroids, but he can no longer afford to maintain the intake required to stay at the level he had formerly experienced a plateau. Thus he has slowly but surely lost his physical growth.

March 19, 2014, 11:33:49 AM
Good illustration. Thank you. Being reasonable is becoming a lost art.

March 19, 2014, 03:00:30 PM
You need this, but want that. I donít question what you need, but why do you want that?

March 19, 2014, 06:05:05 PM
You need this, but want that. I donít question what you need, but why do you want that?

Yes, but the line between want and need often becomes unclear.  What determines what is a want and a need?

March 19, 2014, 06:48:59 PM
The need is what can make you better, the wanting is what makes you happier. You ought to want what you need. If not, it's the path to degenerescence.