Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Gender in metal

Gender in metal
March 18, 2014, 08:47:58 PM
So is this, "speed metal?" because I canít think of anything else to possibly call it.

Look you guys, Iím really liking it. Itís oddly beautiful, but I feel like itís really hard for girls to get to know this kind of music. I would NEVER want to see this band live, even though Iím really liking the music. It would be too violent and too dangerous, and that sucks. And yet Iím not blaming the people who feel the need to get ďcaught in a mosh,Ē upon hearing this. Itís probably exhilarating, but sitting on the couch listening to it is fun in a totally different way. Why does music have to be such a division of the sexes sometimes?

http://alltherecords.tumblr.com/post/79331894797/anthrax-among-the-living

Re: Gender in metal
March 19, 2014, 01:09:39 AM
My thrash metal phase was pretty brief and shallow, but I always liked Anthrax the best. They were goofballs.

I knew there was a good reason I hated Anthrax.

March 19, 2014, 02:16:23 AM
Most girls I've met that are into metal seem to see it as some kind of fashion accessory, but then again so do most metal listeners in general. I also like people to be natural and the natural way of the female is to be feminine.

NHA

March 20, 2014, 05:25:13 PM
Have there been any (modern) genres of music pioneered by females? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Also, copying a preexisting genre and making the lyrics about stupid "women's issues" doesn't count (riot girl).

March 22, 2014, 10:46:57 PM
Have there been any (modern) genres of music pioneered by females? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Also, copying a preexisting genre and making the lyrics about stupid "women's issues" doesn't count (riot girl).

Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance, one of the two primary songwriters of the group. The neoclassical darkwave style they grew into on "Within the Realm of the Dying Sun" was quite good, as well as one of the major influences of the darker ambient passages in Burzum's music.

March 22, 2014, 11:06:46 PM
Most girls I've met that are into metal seem to see it as some kind of fashion accessory, but then again so do most metal listeners in general. I also like people to be natural and the natural way of the female is to be feminine.
This is a good point. Furthermore, it points to the idea that abnormal (possibly disturbed) women could find solace and productivity in art like metal. Consider Lori Bravo and the great metal art for which she is responsible.

March 23, 2014, 12:19:11 AM
Lisa Gerrard is like a Virginia Woolf. Contemplative. Rare.

March 23, 2014, 01:52:31 PM
Lisa Gerrard is like a Virginia Woolf. Contemplative. Rare.

I agree. Though I don't think this type of feminine creativity can easily be applied to metal 'spirit' (other than perhaps as Zodijackyl mentioned through indirect influences).

What about that Derketa band?