Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What is Death?

What is Death?
March 27, 2014, 03:07:17 PM
This is an open question.

For myself, death doesn't represent the end of life, but its completion. The death of cultures, races, men and civilizations aren't endings; their deaths are fulfillments.

Re: What is Death?
March 27, 2014, 03:35:54 PM
Good question.

I believe death, like many other things and concepts, is not beyond our knowledge, but obviously not covered by it entirely.

I do believe many accounts and systems concerning death and what happens "after" it to be somewhat true, even with their differences.

I think also they are incomplete and that it is impossible to conceptualize what death is like. If it was possible for some people to figure it out before dying (or after dying, like in reincarnation) I don't know, but I don't discard it either.

While I don't discard also the shitty view that there is "nothing" beyond death, I view it as an intuition of the total dissolution of the aggregates. However the people who promote this view are uncapable of going beyond the ego to the supreme, therefore do not understand what they are immersed in in order to exist and live [what some call God], and deem the total destruction of te aggregates to be the end, unaware, if only consciously, that there are bigger thoughts to expand, and higher unfoldings.

I can conceive of the nothingness after death while at the same time with a kind of consciousness. Maybe one does not exclude the other, like ending a program that can be revived again by only activating its code.

March 27, 2014, 07:12:13 PM
I'll state the too-obvious-to-see.
Death is the culmination of life. Life, that is, as we generally think of it as being life.
The living body is no more. Better make sure, then, that something else was given life, that will continue to exist, while there was an opportunity for that to happen.

March 27, 2014, 10:25:39 PM
Death is not hard to understand when you pay attention to all the things dying around you.

March 28, 2014, 01:48:16 AM
Death is the friend of the strongest warriors, the muse of the greatest artists, the goal of the best philosophers, and the portal to God.

March 28, 2014, 01:53:40 AM
Indeed it is. Imagine then, the value of knowing death before the physical event.
To know what it is, in all its glory/horror, while still being alive, and contemplative.
That is my 'obsession'. My subject. My baseline.

March 28, 2014, 07:16:32 AM
I don't know, I really do not wish to pursue dumb semantic games but a death and an extinction are two different things- as death implies an in-built mechanism to future creation, extinction implies well... An end to such endeavours.

In a sense, extinction provides room for future creative prospect, but this is just terminological poopery.

*Or are they really any different?

April 01, 2014, 10:19:40 PM
A teacher