Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Try-hard

Try-hard
March 28, 2014, 07:31:58 AM
Something I've been thinking about. The only people who need to exert effort are those who believe exerting effort will produce results commensurate to the effort put in. All the better if they get unexpected 'returns' on it.

That being said, the 'enlightened' way of thinking about this is to realize the maximum of exertion in ANY field yields the best possible rewards for what one could call himself, and by extension, everybody around them. So there are distinct ways of viewing the spending of energy.

I'm not saying that an economical approach to using our inner reserves is not worthwhile. It oftentimes takes the most power to subject ourselves to such a regimen.

The question is, what of those who do not have to try hard in most areas of their life? Seeing as most other things are insufficient to challenge them, do the brave among them tackle nigh-insurmountable peaks to get the thrill of the challenge? It seems that this is part and parcel of the problem with modern society- it programs a difficulty level tailored for all, thus making life seem 'worthless' and this by extension gnaws at the root of being.

Do we say everything comes together when we sufficiently challenge ourselves? It is a way of indirectly giving to others, that's for sure. It is not a charity to anybody but yourself, but all 'receive from your splendour'.

I apologize for shallow or muddle headed thinking. I admit to a degree of naivete in most areas of life, so what I say may ring limpid and self-evident to you blokes.

Re: Try-hard
March 28, 2014, 04:17:43 PM
Didn't ring "limpid", I'm just having a hard time figuring out if your question is rhetorical or just obscured. Though I don't blame your post; I haven't had any coffee yet today.

There are two activities I've found that I can consistently put effort into and receive satisfaction from, every time, all the time. The first is sharpening my body (regular old exercise plus mixed martial arts). I've never had to use my knowledge to hurt anybody but I can if I need to protect myself or someone else, and that is a very gratifying state of mind. The other activity is playing my guitar. I've been doing it for ten years, and have never gotten bored, it just keeps presenting me with new possibilities to explore. My guitar is more valuable than any lover I've ever known.

Lovers... Now, there is an activity that you put put your whole effort into and still walk away empty-handed and empty-hearted.

As for those who do not even try, I can't guess. They are a species different from mine. Maybe (or not) I can help clarify by pointing out that many people "try", but that does not always mean that they put effort into what they are doing. They try for show, and after failing, expect to be compensated for their apparent inability. I don't know if these are the people you are talking about though. Sorry, I *really* need some coffee.

Re: Try-hard
March 28, 2014, 05:03:29 PM
Trying hard is a concept that was dumped on me when I was young.
Up to that point, I just faced life with a benign smile. It was fun.
But, suddenly, as if from nowhere, I was forced to give up simply living, and made to try hard to live.
And end to play. From now on, drudge.

Many, many years later, after endless drudgery that got me nowhere, I rediscovered that living really isn't about trying hard. Living is about living. It is only about drudge if you place no value on living.
I decided living was more important than drudge, and live I would, in the time remaining.

Drudge is doing. Living is doing not-doing. Not-doing still needs to be done, in order to live.
But doing is infinitely easier when you are not-doing it.
The paradox of survival. It's actually quite easy. You succeed until you don't.
And when you don't, there is no more need to try.