Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Social Animal?

The Social Animal?
March 28, 2014, 11:09:26 PM

Question unearthed somewhere on the internet:

A man without politics is a man outside of society. Can someone truly be human without a society?

I'd say the social animal attributes are prerequisites for a chronically modern man.

Re: The Social Animal?
March 28, 2014, 11:15:17 PM
You caught that too:)
I just wrote an essay about it, for Amerika.
Can a human be truly human outside of society? YES!
Can a human be truly dehumanized outside society? NO!

March 28, 2014, 11:35:39 PM
I should say politics coupled with public life is a symptom of the modern era with its mass democracy. What went on between the nobles and royalty or emperor and senate wasn't so public I suspect nor was the commoner ever politically involved at all. Oh, the injustice of it all.

March 29, 2014, 03:13:51 AM
I've tried to argue in favor of these observations, but have gotten shot down because people easily turned it into a straw man of the "noble savage" argument and ripped it to pieces. Shameful.

March 29, 2014, 03:30:11 AM
You'll find intellectuals can't be reasoned with, unless, somehow, they already came to it, themselves.
It's like talking to a plate of beans. Logic becomes illogical to them, whenever it does not agree with their version of logic, based upon their own assumptions.

March 29, 2014, 05:14:58 AM
Indeed, but you'lll notice that I didn't mention that I mendtioned arguing with intellectuals specifically. I don't know how often I engage in arguments with intellectuals. The last time such a thing happened (out in the open), the gentleman that I was arguing with was only arguing with me because he was afraid that I was a nihilist *to the bone* and was deciding whether or not he should allow me to sleep at his house or kick me out to my car and make me sleep out there. Not that I blame him. Eventually he was convinced that I wouldn't rob his house because I liked him and would only hurt myself for betraing his trust in me.

Anyway, I was referring to the argument presented against me in general, by intellectuals and otherwise alike. They assume that my argument is based on some absurd and archaic function that has been rendered irrelavant by modern living situations. Surely you know better, crow.

March 29, 2014, 05:16:54 PM
I should say politics coupled with public life is a symptom of the modern era with its mass democracy. What went on between the nobles and royalty or emperor and senate wasn't so public I suspect nor was the commoner ever politically involved at all. Oh, the injustice of it all.

The distinction between different kind of politics is essential to the question at hand.  In a sense, politics follows everyone from birth to death.  'Playground politics' and 'office politics' are common terms.  Politics shows itself wherever people interact.

March 29, 2014, 05:34:31 PM
That's one very good reason to be a crow. Or whatever one prefers, over being a pesky human.

March 29, 2014, 05:46:16 PM
From what I've heard, 'forest politics' can be downright brutal.

March 29, 2014, 05:48:40 PM
You confuse politics with reality. Understandable. You are, after all, a human.

March 29, 2014, 06:27:53 PM
Humans once lived in reality. Most gave it up for life in the polis many years ago.  Life is much easier when you share it with others, haven't you heard?

March 29, 2014, 06:30:11 PM
I guess not. My life ticks like a clock.