Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

On becoming a better king

On becoming a better king
March 29, 2014, 05:18:54 AM
I have noticed in myself that sometimes when I discuss online, I am egotistical in that I enjoy the thrill and power of making normals squirm in discomfort when I unleash difficult truths.

I am of course not suggesting that I cease being a social reject -- that I will always be. I am merely suggesting that I end my egotistical activity of over-indulging in the thrill of holding taboo opinions, values, and goals.

What character deficiencies have you noticed in yourself?

Re: On becoming a better king
March 29, 2014, 05:46:24 AM
Sometimes I wake up with smelly breath.

March 29, 2014, 07:37:52 AM
Most of the time, I isnsist on being right, but it is rarely woth the effort. At best, I apprehend a more useful point of view. This haPpens often on this dmu.org forum.

March 29, 2014, 05:18:01 PM
Since one generally has a big blind-spot centered upon one's own deficiencies, it might be more useful to concentrate on pointing out the deficiencies in others. Now there's an undertaking that could catch on, bigtime.
Oh. I forgot. That's what everybody does, all the time, anyway :-[

March 29, 2014, 05:25:02 PM
Insisting on the truth at all costs certainly isn't easy.  Most people simply follow the path of least resistance. Their love of the the pleasant untruth is emblematic of this.

As I get older, the more I realize that the only things worth a damn are the things that are hard to do.  "Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger."

April 03, 2014, 01:30:33 AM
No, truth is not easy, at least not for the western mind in it's current state. Who can imagine for even a moment that what they think is true, isn't? Who can notice the subconscious, or that their mind lies to them via auto-pilot? It's easy enough but oh-so-difficult. I only know because I have in the past been able to catch myself out on that and admit defeat. I guess it's a start.