Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Tell me about your education.

Re: Tell me about your education.
April 21, 2014, 07:47:01 PM
Evidence and proof only go so far.
That they are required, only goes to show the distance we have come down the road to blindness to what stands right before us.
There is no proof or evidence that can enable a cynic to see beyond his cynicism.
It is a trap the cynic embraces in place of Reality.
He interprets happiness as delusion. Peace as madness. Calm as retarded.
Because he interprets.
Remove the interpretation, and things no longer appear to be what they are interpreted as.
They are simply what they are.

April 21, 2014, 08:12:55 PM
A couple of thoughts:

1. I suspect genuine cynics are vanishingly rare.  Having a position makes you a target for those who hold another position, and "cynicism" is a natural and not unreasonable defense mechanism for folks who don't have the stomach to fight it out over ideas.  Cynicism of this sort isn't a set of beliefs, or stance in relation to "reality," it's a practical social response to the basic incivility of most of those with strongly held opinions.  I'd add that a lot of what gets called "cynicism" is just so much projection on the part of accusers.  Our skepticism is a reasonable response to the errors of others; their skepticism is obviously not in good faith, since, after all, we're right and they're wrong, and, accordingly, we reconstruct their lack of faith as "cynicism."

2. All experience is mediated through interpretation.  It's nice to say that when interpretation falls away, you're just left with the reality, but that's really just another way of saying, "Only death is real."  While yet we live, all we're doing is interpreting our experience of life.  Hence the value of evidence.

April 21, 2014, 08:15:45 PM
Well fine. I have told you how it is with me.
You have told me how it is with you.
My position hinges on it being by far the best thing I have come up with, by way of being able to live my life, in a way that provides immense satisfaction and peace. Nothing else even comes close.
How well does yours work, for you?

April 21, 2014, 08:36:36 PM
What if I told you I put little stock in satisfaction or peace?  What if I told you that I find my joy in struggle, not in contentment?  How about if I said I love questions more than answers, or that success without failure leaves me feeling more empty than anything else?  I've never been moved by knowing things; it's the not-knowing that makes knowing worthwhile.

Would you say that I'm wrong?

April 21, 2014, 08:57:24 PM
No. I would say you haven't yet had enough battles to be sick and tired of them.
Or to have learned all there is to learn from having them.
I was a lot like you, in earlier times. Battles made me more alive than anything else did.
But you can only take so many gratuitous risks before one of them kills you.
The trick is to know when enough is enough.

April 21, 2014, 09:28:03 PM
No. I would say you haven't yet had enough battles to be sick and tired of them.

"Struggle" and "battle" aren't necessarily the same thing.  Battle is waged with an objective in mind—victory, conquest.  Me, I'm not looking to win, nor even for a fight; the joy is to just be in the arena.  It's more in the nature of Beckett's famous mantra:

"Ever tried.  Ever failed.  No matter.  Try again.  Fail again.  Fail better."

But you can only take so many gratuitous risks before one of them kills you.

You can only avoid so many risks before one of them kills you anyway.

April 21, 2014, 10:11:24 PM
Battle, for me, is what I engage in, if I must, for my survival. Not to win.
In fact, although I have never lost a fight, it could as well be said I have never won.
I fight the adversary to a standstill, then exit.
I speak, of course, of physical battle.
But it applies to any form of battle.

April 22, 2014, 04:14:53 AM
Well fine. I have told you how it is with me.
You have told me how it is with you.
My position hinges on it being by far the best thing I have come up with, by way of being able to live my life, in a way that provides immense satisfaction and peace. Nothing else even comes close.
How well does yours work, for you?

This is called solipsism, and is ironically close to what your favourite writer, Mr Brett Stevens, posits as underlying the 'decay of civilisation'.

This wouldnt be a problem, if your opinion was not all pervasive around these forums. Every thread is defined and judged upon whether it meets your extremely personal and unusual standards. The criterion is no longer something mind independent, where discussion is open to transcedence and growth, it stops with the preferences of some bloke based on what ideas have made him feel good. But there are so many different ways to live and so many starting points and contingencies that what makes some one individual feel content can be so utterly arbitrary.

April 22, 2014, 04:31:37 AM
You're doing what so many intellectuals do. Defining something you don't begin to understand.
I am the polar opposite of a solipsist. If I seem to be one, to you, you might want to take another look at what makes you want to define other people. Or imagine you are able to.
A good idea, really, to know yourself before defining what others are.

It's people that behave like you that make me really, really, sick of the whole concept of intellect.
If that's the best use you can make of it, well, there's nothing much you're good for.

I'll tell you how unbelievably dumb intellectuals are:
They are unable to resist taking pot shots at forum admins. How dumb is that?
So clever.

I'll share this with you: I fucking hate being an admin on such a turdhole as this forum.
And I fucking hate jumped-up douchebags like you, and a whole shitload of others.

Transcendence and growth? What a riot. Like you would know about that.
Take a fuckin' hike.

April 22, 2014, 06:35:33 PM
How about if I said I love questions more than answers, or that success without failure leaves me feeling more empty than anything else?

It's impossible to love questions without loving answers. Answers are often new sets of questions. To love questions alone is to commit the eternal leftist sin of wanting to conjecture but not validate with reality.

April 22, 2014, 09:57:06 PM
Tell me about your education.

Well, one day I decided to visit a black metal website calling itself ANUS, because I was frustrated with the lack of seriousness being shown to the genre anywhere almost anywhere else. I didn't know anything about the site's thoughts on any other subject other than metal, which I instinctually grasped immediately.

I started reading the site's other articles and had an emotional gut-reaction against it, due to its blatant contradiction to my left-humanist conditioning, but (intellectually!) I grasped that there was something that made sense here.

This started a long process of internal questioning and reading and re-reading of everything on the site, before I decided that this was worth supporting.

Oh, I also did the college shit too. Didn't learn much.

April 22, 2014, 10:00:52 PM
Aha! We're not all zombies here then. Not quite. Not yet.
Intellect does nothing if it fails to inform intuition, which does nothing if it fails to inform action.
The notion is to be what you regard. Toss out any separation between it and you.
If you're sitting in your brain, where, exactly, are you?
Not in the world. Not in Reality.

April 22, 2014, 10:39:26 PM
I've started to consider intuition and intellect to be the same force, distinguished by speed and perhaps by how it is accessed.

When intuition manifests itself, it usually seems directed by a part of my brain that does not fall under my ego-program. It has to be injected into the Wild World before I'm cognizant of it. But, once I am, my thinking process can get to work on either it or its corollaries, before I shelve it for the time being. Then, sometime later, it will re-enter the conscious world with those enhancements packaged together by further development in the ego-less realm.

Perhaps the ego-realm is supposed to deal with problems like "Make tool, dig hole" whereas the intuition "force-process" can work underneath this without distracting. Then when the ego-realm is confronted with another situation, the intuition can suggest a method to do the action the ego-realm wants to commit.

I would consider both to be a type of thought and I don't see how one is really possible without the other. Intuition does seem superior in the sense that its conclusions aren't directly effected by ego, but it needs something to trigger it - and occasionally, to check it.

I occasionally reach states where both seem to be happening simultaneously - i'll think on a topic, something connected will enter my mind, the first will vanish, then I'll move on from the second and something combing both will enter my mind, ad nauseam.

The problem is I'm not doing anything else productive during these states. I tend to pace. Socrates stared at the sky. crows probably fly.

April 22, 2014, 10:44:51 PM
Crows play, without having to have anything to play with.

Intuition is probably of the mind. But it works instantaneously, undirected by the 'I'.
Ego is the director. The manipulator. Nothing it does, it does for free. It always has its own interests in mind.

Intuition is neutral, and very much more perceptive than ego. It is always the first thing to happen.
But overly-used ego ignores, and eventually becomes oblivious to, intuition, blanking out its messages.

Once in a while, ego and intuition reach the same conclusion, but if that happens,  ego always gets the credit.

Intuition is really nothing more than the ability to see what is there, which is why it happens so fast.
No processing has to take place.
Ego decides what it can do with what is there, to better serve itself, and sees only its use, rather than what it is.

April 23, 2014, 12:10:07 AM
Do you think it's possible to improve the intuition, beyond removing the ego?