Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Grammar for metalheads

Grammar for metalheads
March 20, 2007, 10:06:30 PM
Their = belongs to them
There = a place
They're = they are

It's = it is
Its = belongs to it

Study this and you'll speak and write more fluently.

Re: Grammar for metalheads
March 20, 2007, 10:27:17 PM

How will that help you speak more fluently? It's not like when you speak you have to read off some imaginary script you've typed up in your head(well, at least I don't).

I, like most people I know, had studied and mastered these particular complexities of the written word by the time I was, I don't know... eight or nine. The written English in this crazy, topsy-turvy world of internet forums sure is lagging behind.

March 20, 2007, 10:29:55 PM
Do not be an internet drama-fag. Knowing grammar helps you speak more fluently. If nothing else, it gets you thinking about language. Why are you such a snippy, passive, Jewish person?

March 20, 2007, 10:35:48 PM
He was being a dumbass and sayign that you said this would help you speak better, but it is actually helping you write better.

March 20, 2007, 10:50:41 PM
If nothing else, it gets you thinking about language.

Yeah, I'll pay that.

March 21, 2007, 01:04:31 AM
Their = belongs to them
There = a place
They're = they are

It's = it is
Its = belongs to it

I should keep this in mind, lets say perfect grammar is not my strong point

March 21, 2007, 01:47:44 AM
The perfectly awful "rediculous" should be "ridiculous" (related to "ridicule").

"Grammar" is often misspelled as "grammer."

March 21, 2007, 08:44:21 AM
i would like to add you're=you are and your=your.

March 21, 2007, 09:11:37 AM
I'm Russian myself (from Ukraine), and I have always wondered how native English speakers could confuse "its" and "it's", for example...

March 21, 2007, 10:18:43 AM
Their's no problem with my grammer its fine. People sometimes get angry but its there problem not mien.

March 21, 2007, 03:31:57 PM
People seem to treat forums, instant messaging, emails, etc like they do everyday conversation, so they simply type how they talk (including how it sounds) and pave over the distinctions that arise in written language (ex: it's and its are spoken the same way, so people just use one way of spelling for both. They simply aren't paying attention). Also, while we're on the subject, the reduction is much worse for you're/your, it quickly becomes "ur" in most internet speech. It seems that people are satisfied being able to talk, while fluency with the written word is simply second rate.

Knowing these distinctions will also effect people's fluency with the language in terms of speaking it properly. That's not to say that people won't find other ways to communicate using their lazy ass sort of language. If you actually pay attention to what you're saying (thinking before you speak), a good training in grammar will allow you to say what you intend more easily. It would be especially nice, however, if people respected grammar in the written word, but no one gives a shit. As long as it gets the job done right? Who cares if I'm crippling the breadth of what I can say, there's only a few things I need to say anyway because I'm a fuckin moron!

March 22, 2007, 05:33:17 AM
It is interesting that the proper use of grammar has declined, since grammar was originally a convention used by scribes and typesetters to indicate how a passage of text should be SPOKEN. It visualized the speaker's tools of pauses, listings, and references to previous sentences. Since genuine oratory is a neglected skill nowadays, it's easy to see how the general populace is lacking in both written and spoken communication skills.

And dog forbid the re-emergence or ascension of languages that rely on changing the word to show its place in the grammatical construction of the sentence.

March 22, 2007, 11:50:20 AM
And dog forbid the re-emergence or ascension of languages that rely on changing the word to show its place in the grammatical construction of the sentence.

It's called flection.

March 22, 2007, 12:23:28 PM
Apparently, a forum is a big leap to take from messengers and 'asl' chatrooms.

March 28, 2007, 01:43:26 AM
Than/then:
I would rather eat a turd THAN listen to Dimmu Borgir.
I will eat a turd, THEN listen to Dimmu Borgir.