Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Amor Fati

Amor Fati
May 08, 2014, 10:23:28 PM

Amor fati: let that henceforth be my love! I do not want to wage war with the ugly. I do not want to accuse, I do not want even to accuse the accusers. Looking aside, let that be my sole negation! And all in all, to sum up: I wish to be at any time hereafter only a yes-sayer!
- F. Nietzsche

The confidence in a superior cosmic order must permeate our being for us to be able to dance in the long dark night of our age. We need that powerful and detached love – the one who can live without being entangled in their own limitations.

The consideration of all that exists as a part of reality, is a means to be capable of detached action in the midst of confusion. You are there, but yet, you are not. There must be an unconditional strength, independent of their surroundings, in order to do this.

This unconditional strength is spiritual; Although, its manifestations occur in the physical realm. When you accept reality as it is, you realize truth. Then, there is a superior confidence, an imperturbability and calm, which are superior to all personal drama.

The affirmation of reality is the most primordial human endeavour; But those are forgotten days. We are moderns and the worship of the anthropomorphic figure never stops; it can not. There is a fundamental necessity to be nourished: the ego.

Ego is the dysfunctional unit of our society.

The personal drama of our days, creates bubbles of selfishness, hate and destruction – every man, family and community is a potential prey.

The drama – that obnoxious exageration of the self – Near it, only fatalism can grow.

Humans can be much better than this. They have done that, before.

The solution is simple! Yet, almost an impossibility. Who dares to be the solution?

Prepare for war, be strong and laugh at you for being such a pussy.

Ah...and welcome to the boring conquest of paradise on earth.

Re: Amor Fati
May 09, 2014, 01:14:25 AM
It's that simple. Why is it so invisible, to so many?

May 09, 2014, 05:28:12 AM
I've cogitated this one many times, or rather, amor fati is the condition I find myself 'alighting upon' after traversing a 'thought cliff'.

The thing is, people want 'things' to do stuff 'for them'. What does "amor fati do for me? Does it make me happy"? Zarathustra might reply, "Not just happy, but more blissful than any of the beatified saints." Though people would likely misconstrue this- that is possibly the bottommost, hadal flaw.

The thing is, Growth is Intrinsic to Amor Fati, for it cedes humanity's place in the cosmic order. We are the king of only our own affairs, king's of a small stretch of intentionality, where we can choose to 'act' only on a small square of available info. ( I have a feeling this paragraph might attract a few rotten tomatoes)

Amor Fati is, as you two specifically have pointed out, commensurate with admitting one's own foolishness. I've seen quite a few people who go about claiming that 'we're all dumb' only to implicitly admit that this makes them more learned than everybody else- or that they deserve a higher rung in the ladder.

May 09, 2014, 10:14:03 AM
I've cogitated this one many times, or rather, amor fati is the condition I find myself 'alighting upon' after traversing a 'thought cliff'.

Good to hear that! This shows you have conscious control over the mind. But, i find it funny, because you could have crossed the ‘thought cliff’ while perfectly immersed in amor fati. That would be more efficient. Although, I often do exactly the opposite, just for the pleasure of being able to freely divagate in the world of speculation. Maybe that’s your case too.

Amor Fati is, as you two specifically have pointed out, commensurate with admitting one's own foolishness. I've seen quite a few people who go about claiming that 'we're all dumb' only to implicitly admit that this makes them more learned than everybody else- or that they deserve a higher rung in the ladder.

Those are the experts in scatology. They penetrate the essence of human shit, just to emerge as the most fragrant among all the fetid ones. But, what they do not perceive, is their own stench. That is the nature of those who look at the world and make demands for being such a special and pleasant-smelling creature.

Everyone is exceptional, important, memorable, intelligent, beautiful, virtuous, and full of strength until the day they are alone and realize that the rotting stench is also theirs. And that hurts their feelings. They begin to fade away and then they enter the depressive state, while preserving the sense of self importance. That is fatalism. And when they get out of the self-pity thing, they are more important than ever. That is the tragic cycle of their miserable lifes.

The growth of our capacities do not take place in the ease of modern life. That is why we need challenges, struggles and the like: to achieve a healthy stance in relation to life.

May 09, 2014, 04:49:27 PM
Didn't this also drive him mad? Can you say yes to repeating the same patterns and the same details for an eternity? He obviously could not and broke, irreparably.

NHA

May 09, 2014, 05:29:30 PM
Well that, and syphilis.

May 09, 2014, 05:40:05 PM
Naturally. Either way. I think it's interesting, the outcomes of saying yes to various -uh- outlooks.

May 09, 2014, 05:48:02 PM
Didn't this also drive him mad? Can you say yes to repeating the same patterns and the same details for an eternity? He obviously could not and broke, irreparably.

The amor fati of Nietzsche is the acceptance of reality as it is. I think that what you described was his myth of eternal return, which is the mad exageration of the first. His madness could have been originated and aggravated over the years by syphilis, and not solely by his own ideas. Although, I certainly agree with your perspective in what regards the idea of the eternal return. Only thinking about it gives a vertigo sensation.

The Greatest Burden. What if a demon crept after thee into thy loneliest loneliness some day or night, and said to thee: "This life, as thou livest it at present, and hast lived it, thou must live it once more, and also innumerable times; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and every sigh, and all the unspeakably small and great in thy life must come to thee again, and all in the same series and sequence-and similarly this spider and this moonlight among the trees, and similarly this moment, and I myself. The eternal sand-glass of existence will ever be turned once more, and thou with it, thou speck of dust!"- Wouldst thou not throw thyself down and gnash thy teeth, and curse the demon that so spake? Or hast thou once experienced a tremendous moment in which thou wouldst answer him: "Thou art a God, and never did I hear anything so divine! "If that thought acquired power over thee as thou art, it would transform thee, and perhaps crush thee; the question with regard to all and everything: "Dost thou want this once more, and also for innumerable times?" would lie as the heaviest burden upon thy activity! Or, how wouldst thou have to become favorably inclined to thyself and to life, so as to long for nothing more ardently than for this last eternal sanctioning and sealing?

The amor fati is a much more forgiving and healthy approach.

May 09, 2014, 06:02:41 PM
Ah right eternal return. Thanks, I forgot the proper term. If I'm not mistaken it wasn't Nietzsche's it was the Stoic's. Not that it matters.

For Nietzsche, Amor Fati and Eternal Return are linked - a "yes-saying" to reality which for Nietzsche, was Eternal Return. I understand that Armor Fati is being used in this thread towards the Crow-ANUS approach, so this is probably an unnecessary distraction. Eitherway. The thought experiment of totally submitting to a perceived order alien to oneself is fruitful.

For example, the Aboriginal Australian view: Everything plays itself out in "Dream Time." When we are awake, we are merely acting out the events that have already occurred with no autonomy. Can you say YES to that? Haha, I could not.

May 09, 2014, 07:29:15 PM
For Nietzsche, Amor Fati and Eternal Return are linked - a "yes-saying" to reality which for Nietzsche, was Eternal Return.

That's exactly that.

For example, the Aboriginal Australian view: Everything plays itself out in "Dream Time." When we are awake, we are merely acting out the events that have already occurred with no autonomy. Can you say YES to that? Haha, I could not.

That is a strange view and a strange question. However, I would not say yes to that.

But, I think you are misplacing the concept of eternal return a bit. It should only be considered among the challenges that naturally occur in our culture. Outside of it, there is no meaning.

The aboriginal view is an odd elucubration, but for them it is meaningful. So, they naturally accept it. It’s their culture, and that is sacred for them. If i was born in there, i would accept that with vehemence. I think! Haha!

May 09, 2014, 07:38:59 PM
All I was driving at was my desire to know stories other than the ones of my culture. Having been exposed to them often helps me remain adaptable, especially in circumstances where the stories of our culture no longer function. I often can not say YES to them, like the Aboriginal example, but there are insights within that have proven to be valuable. Which lends itself into that cultural context you mentioned. To myself at least.

May 10, 2014, 09:53:09 AM
Amor Fati is 'everything' and 'nothing' simultaneously, if we announce a preference for a Psychological view of the world. Amor Fati is a 'close to existential' phrasing of Panta Rhei as I see it.

Accept the Inexorable, for That art Thou. Is how I'd sum up my understanding of it.