Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - The Ways of Yore

Re: Burzum - The Ways of Yore
June 09, 2014, 03:20:48 AM
The new burzum album is again a disappointment.

I prefer Tomhet on the original album.  It worked better as an outro to something great.

June 09, 2014, 03:39:11 AM
Really, an entire album could have been created out of the myriad compositional directions in which the original Tomhet piece alluded to. I would even be happy to commission such an idea and pay Brian Eno to work as producer on it. But, alas, it still turned out ok (with a few wobbly parts). Unfortunately I don't think any of Burzum's ambient non-metal works have nailed it 100% but you get the general idea. Those first three albums will always be godly!

June 11, 2014, 02:11:58 PM
I prefer Tomhet on the original album.  It worked better as an outro to something great.

I agree. This is the weak spot for me, but it's not really weak to a new listener. I think Varg may have (unfortunately) listened to a critique of his original instrumentation from the peanut gallery. However, I liked the simplicity and 1980s innocence of the original, as well as its role as he stated it in the album: surging through all this chaotic metal, ending up in silence and death.

If anything newer Burzum ambient should be compared to some of his more atmospheric pieces from the second album, which sought to create a mood and then change it from within via texture. That's not entirely unlike what a lot of death metal did, except that now it exists through harmony and melody.

Some tracks, like the "ritual ambient" Heil Odhinn/Heil Freya originally struck me as really annoying. I recall these having been around for some time in concept, giving the feel of this album being odds 'n' ends. However, they work quite well in breaking up what otherwise would be an omnipresent sameness to the album.

The more I listen to it, the more it improves. The spirit and sensation is there. It has its flaws, but flaws don't dethrone greatness, merely give it some personality.

June 11, 2014, 04:16:02 PM
 I've always thought Varg should have kept Et Hvitt Lys Over Skogen as the last track on Hvis lyset tar oss.  Tomhet works much better on this new album.  It finally an ambient track on an ambient album.

June 12, 2014, 03:55:40 PM
I had high hopes after East of the Sun, West of the Moon - the only post prison Burzum album I liked. But he just blew it in the shoddy execution of this album. He should stop rushing out music and take more care,  maybe take a lesson from the last 2 Lord Wind albums.

Like the above poster said, there really is no excuse for such a low level of execution. He now has the status in the music world to summon a small army of skilled session musicians with only a Facebook status update, most of whom would work for no money, just the chance to be on a Burzum album.

June 12, 2014, 04:19:44 PM
Black metal and related genres aren't a good place for quibbles about instrumentation and production.

The content on the album is good; thinner perhaps than his first album, but still solid.

In a genre-spectrum awash in contentless imitators and vapid entryists, Burzum isn't the problem.

June 12, 2014, 04:36:21 PM
On the other hand, Burzum no longer appears to be the solution, either. 

June 12, 2014, 05:31:23 PM
The solution? I think the reason this site differentiates neoambient is that it is what is continuing the black metal tradition in a new form.

The years have changed, art reacts.

Black metal is dead and should stay dead. The imitators killed it; no sensible artist is going to throw away his work on a community that cannot appreciate it.

June 13, 2014, 12:10:34 AM
The latest Profanatica release disagrees. Less is more. Some still get it.

June 26, 2014, 11:33:07 AM
This is a longshot but did Vikernes deliberately name Sol Austan... after  A-ha's 1990 release, or does the title refer to something else?

June 26, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
I hope he did. A-ha were better than 90% of the radio tripe in the 80s.

June 27, 2014, 03:05:05 AM
No it is a Tolkien reference. It is in a poem recited by Frodo near the end of the Return of the King.

June 27, 2014, 03:07:28 AM
Still round the corner there may wait
  A new road or a secret gate;
And altough I oft have passed them by,
  A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
  West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

June 27, 2014, 06:17:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Geeky side note: "Aha" apparently means "rage" in Tolkiens Quenya language.

June 27, 2014, 01:40:08 PM
He's definitely taken a hidden path in his life.

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see."