Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Profanatica - Progenitors of the Omni-Riff

Profanatica - Progenitors of the Omni-Riff
June 18, 2014, 09:39:39 PM
Profanatica has never been a band that writes songs. Profanatica's entire catalog almost entirely consists of different arrangements of the same musical ideas. Essentially they figure out a pattern for songs, which aren't songs in any real sense, and insert which ever interchangable (omni) riff is most appropriate. This isn't to say that they don't add new ones to the catalog. But it accounts well for the fact that Profanatica has never written true songs yet they somehow clearly communicate something to the listener. The most prominent example I can think of is the medley featured on Grand Masters Sessions which sounds like a complete work if one didn't know better. I think devising a compositional method that can restate musical ideas in new ways that can convey entirely different meanings than what was stated originally is brilliant if unintended. I can't think of a good correlation to literature since words are to exact making the reuse of full sentences awkward when taken out of context.

There's probably a writer and thinker out there better than myself who can state this more concisely than I can. Admittedly I came across this observation months back and didn't bother writing down my thoughts so this is coming out very approximated and incomplete but whatever. Have it.

Their latest album is all i can think of that uses this concept.  I found everything Ledney has done in the past has had much more dimension than just the "duduudududedudedudeudueududududuududuedud" even if the riffs are simple and repetitive. Before the riffs seemed to have motive, to create ambience and atmosphere. Now on the new album it just seems like an annoying barrage of guitar sounds.  So disappointing...

There's probably a writer and thinker out there better than myself who can state this more concisely than I can. Admittedly I came across this observation months back and didn't bother writing down my thoughts so this is coming out very approximated and incomplete but whatever. Have it.

You've summed it up quite well. I had the same thoughts about it and even the lyrics seem follow that basic pattern (randomly geneterated out of basic genetic starting material). It's admirable though I guess I probably just don't go for that sound. Give me short, ripping stuff like Dethrone... or their Collection CD any day. And on that note I actually enjoyed the Grand Masters Sessions better than this .

I think the key to Profanatica/Havohej is that the music is body music like punk or hip hop. It's something felt not something intuited. John Gelso has stated that he feels black metal is at its best when it's close to punk. I can't be that far off he he. But really, their music has more to do with movement, motion, aggression violence, mockery in dance than it does "Romanticism of darkness and reality." I honestly to this day cannot figure out why it is praised next to stuff that meets the standards of artistry upholded by ANUS etc. Etc.

I'm discussing their entire disco. Not just the latest album which I believe is great.

Actually their latest is finally growing on me  ???

However it is interesting you mention about it being music that is to be felt, as this is something I would easily apply to earlier material whereas the more recent offerings have this kind of avant-garde 'indirectness' to them (and that probably applies equally to Beherit and Demoncy though I think they pulled it off better).

Like Ildjarn, like Discharge, it's music boiled down to its most basic components. There is something very hypnotic about the way these very simple riffs interact if you get in the right head space.

After a few listens the new Profanatica has really grown on me. It almost comes across as a sick parody of music.

Re: Profanatica - Progenitors of the Omni-Riff
September 19, 2014, 01:40:47 PM
I think the key to Profanatica/Havohej is that the music is body music like punk or hip hop. It's something felt not something intuited. John Gelso has stated that he feels black metal is at its best when it's close to punk. I can't be that far off he he. But really, their music has more to do with movement, motion, aggression violence, mockery in dance than it does "Romanticism of darkness and reality." I honestly to this day cannot figure out why it is praised next to stuff that meets the standards of artistry upholded by ANUS etc. Etc.

I must say, I really despise the idea of the bolded, but Profanatica (at least considering Profanatitas de Domonatia) is proper riff based narrative music. The newest album was extremely disappointing. Your description feels to me like everything except a simple musical idea, it is accurate as far as the newest album is concerned however.