Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Change...is good?

Re: Change...is good?
March 28, 2007, 11:24:33 AM
But it is nearly always clear when a band deliberately incorparates mainstream elements into their music to expand their fan base.  I's say the more a band tries to appeal to the mainstream the less credit they have.  That doesn't mecessarily mean that all mainstream bands are bad though.

I well guarantee that almost any band that have changed their sound to a more acceptable output did not do so to expand there fan base, that would have done so because they enjoy the sound, after all people usually like the music that they create. Hence why enslaved still think that are masters of black metal.

And to become more "mainstream" within sound does not mean a lessening of quality, king crimsons album Red is probably the best thing they have ever created and is among there most ear friendly pieces.

March 28, 2007, 04:02:24 PM

"Dumb + smart" always makes smarter, doesn't it? You know nothing.

You obviously didn't understand me, preferring to let blind elitism answer the question before you. So shut the fuck up you pig stupid piece of shit. Elements from other genres of music aren't inherently moronic. It's the artist behind them responsible for the profundity offered within.

March 28, 2007, 05:10:47 PM

I well guarantee that almost any band that have changed their sound to a more acceptable output did not do so to expand there fan base, that would have done so because they enjoy the sound, after all people usually like the music that they create. Hence why enslaved still think that are masters of black metal.

And to become more "mainstream" within sound does not mean a lessening of quality, king crimsons album Red is probably the best thing they have ever created and is among there most ear friendly pieces.

I would say it's, "Discipline". But that's just me.

March 28, 2007, 08:10:52 PM
Discipline was one of their very strange albums, it was hardly ear catching, i mean it could be radio play play but it lacks the memorable quality that makes red a much more listenable album.

shadowmystic

March 28, 2007, 11:09:52 PM

The problem isn't in making mainstream music but when appealing to the mainstream is a higher priority than making quality music.

March 29, 2007, 01:36:02 AM
but the person who is making such music will always only be making what they want, so its almost impossible to tell if a person is run by the crowd or if those are his actual tenancies.

March 29, 2007, 04:58:29 AM
but the person who is making such music will always only be making what they want, so its almost impossible to tell if a person is run by the crowd or if those are his actual tenancies.

Not always. The record labels usually have a huge say in a band's sound, especially if you're on (or connected to) a big 4 label.

March 29, 2007, 07:29:53 PM

That's true of all music, but it's fairly easy to tell the difference. You're telling me you can't spot the difference between Pantera and Burzum a mile away?

What?

March 30, 2007, 08:38:37 PM

That's true of all music, but it's fairly easy to tell the difference. You're telling me you can't spot the difference between Pantera and Burzum a mile away?

What?

Im not saying that, the original statement i responded to about this said that the creators of music intentionally lessen what they enjoy for larger appeal, and i was only saying this from the perspective of a person whose art is being called inferior, not the person making the claim.

EDIT: so to clarify if i made a great album (for the  sake of argument) and followed up by a pretentious pop tune with distorted vocals i would still enjoy it as much and wouldn't think about increasing my fan base as the reason for my change in sound even so my sound has deteriorated.  

March 31, 2007, 12:11:57 AM

Im not saying that, the original statement i responded to about this said that the creators of music intentionally lessen what they enjoy for larger appeal, and i was only saying this from the perspective of a person whose art is being called inferior, not the person making the claim.

EDIT: so to clarify if i made a great album (for the  sake of argument) and followed up by a pretentious pop tune with distorted vocals i would still enjoy it as much and wouldn't think about increasing my fan base as the reason for my change in sound even so my sound has deteriorated.  

While what you're saying is true in certain cases, its quite easy for artists to convince themselves they like what they are doing, even though the main motivator for their change in style is for commercial purposes. Either way, motivations don't count, its the end result that does.  

April 12, 2007, 03:03:23 PM
Metallica's change about the time of the Black Album sure was good!

How can you hope to classify all change as good or bad? Does anyone else see how this is foolish? It's probably not the OP's fault either, since he's just trying to make sense out of what the idiots around him are bleating.

April 18, 2007, 07:23:39 PM
If the "change" being talked about here points to a more "accessible" ie: more pop souding music and lyrics, then the answer is no.
Most of these sell-out bands want to have their MTV cake and eat it too. I don't even think it has to do with commercial success. These guys are just afflicted with that Narcissus disease. They've become too egomaniacal and think whatever they dish out, the fans would like.
If they want to make faggot music, they could always change the name of their band or do it with another outfit.

April 28, 2007, 07:58:06 AM
Most of these sell-out bands want to have their MTV cake and eat it too. I don't even think it has to do with commercial success. These guys are just afflicted with that Narcissus disease. They've become too egomaniacal and think whatever they dish out, the fans would like.

To them it's a job. They get a rise out of how successful they have become, and they don't give a damn about art, the genre, music in general or anything but their own popularity.

May 16, 2007, 12:21:50 AM
well, they may care about most of what ya said they don't, but they often sacrifice it to please the mainstream, because then they sell, and the music industry get pleased too.... mostly!, sadly enough!

smart + dumb = dumb
5 + -10 = -5

(its hard to do a smart thing, so most likely worth a 5, its easy to do a stupid thing, so I give it a -10) ;) everyone can see that, the only chance that smart + dumb = smart, would be if it was done a really smart thing, 10, and a not so stupid thing, -1... =)
I think i just confused myself... >_<