Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Expression

Raise_the_Dead

Re: Expression
April 09, 2007, 01:31:06 PM
It depends on what time period of metal we are talking about.  I think thash, speed metal, and grindcore express "what's right for me" (the individual).  Black metal / death metal express "absolute right not existing" (nihilism).  Black metal took it even further to a kind of romantic, anti-social (not individualism) obsession with amorality, death, etc.

What's next might be a return to consensus on what's right, as stated elsewhere on this site.

April 09, 2007, 01:48:34 PM
What's next might be a return to consensus on what's right, as stated elsewhere on this site.

Or, as a eugenicist would say, that "what is right" is dependent on the quality of the person, so lots of morons will ruin any concept of what is right.

http://www.time.com/time/time100/scientist/profile/shockley03.html

April 09, 2007, 02:07:37 PM
It depends on what time period of metal we are talking about.  I think thash, speed metal, and grindcore express "what's right for me" (the individual).  Black metal / death metal express "absolute right not existing" (nihilism).  Black metal took it even further to a kind of romantic, anti-social (not individualism) obsession with amorality, death, etc.

But you cant be a nihilist and romantic, the two view points contradict, as can be seen with Nietzsche and Wagner.

EDIT: also only some black metal is romantic, while others (most notably darkthrone and ildjarn) are nihilistic in nature.

Raise_the_Dead

April 09, 2007, 02:17:42 PM
snoop: True.  I guess before consensus comes strong, intelligent leadership, by people who agree on basic points, get shit done and worry about themselves later.  The question is how do leaders emerge when everyone is empowered to put out shit-quality music.

mayhem: I mean to say that black metal transcended its nihilism.  All of this is written in the DLA opinions section, somewhere...

April 09, 2007, 11:42:35 PM
mayhem: I mean to say that black metal transcended its nihilism.  All of this is written in the DLA opinions section, somewhere...

That makes a little more sense, i always thought one could not sustain oneself without any set of morals. But having no morals allows you to see what is healthy and unhealthy which makes your reemergence into the "moral" world a well thought out idea, not just following dogma.

Which is why i think nihilism is a stepping stone, not a destination.

April 10, 2007, 02:07:59 PM
True.  I guess before consensus comes strong, intelligent leadership, by people who agree on basic points, get shit done and worry about themselves later.  The question is how do leaders emerge when everyone is empowered to put out shit-quality music.

They start fighting back with both quality music and clear opinions to that effect, like the Norwegians did when they founded black metal.