Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Summoning

Re: Summoning
April 26, 2007, 05:29:39 PM
Someone is totally drunk.

Summoning are pretty good... for the first three albums.

April 26, 2007, 06:02:48 PM
For the sake of this thread, it would be nice if we could remember what makes them great rather than trying to ruin them because of some hasty statements they recently made.  Commentary on their transient outlooks should go in the thread in News; anything else belongs here.

April 26, 2007, 06:18:49 PM
Back to the music...could someone clue me in on the (or a) name for the compositional technique of progression employed on the track Angbands Schmieden (first track off of Dol Guldur)?

Vajra

April 26, 2007, 11:05:10 PM
What music is best for walking around a big human dwelling like a town or city?

I find that Impaled Nazarene's 'Ugra Karma' is a fine accompaniment to walking around the disgusting streets of London. It has the (self-)destructive attitude of Punk, a style which could only have spawned from a shithole like this city. It also hints at a victory over elements of modernity and the masses in the melodious Black Metal conclusions the band manages to summon from those simple Punk riffs.

Vajra

April 26, 2007, 11:25:06 PM
I don't particularly follow the discussions of Metal listeners, but 'Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame' seems to receive no attention. In my opinion, it's better than 'Stronghold', as there's something a lot more rousing about it. It's catchier, but not in a fleeting pop sense, due to the arrangements, and something more. Are there any interesting/developed thoughts on this album?

April 27, 2007, 07:16:33 PM
Back to the music...could someone clue me in on the (or a) name for the compositional technique of progression employed on the track Angbands Schmieden (first track off of Dol Guldur)?

Its simply a theme thats repeated with each repetition bringing in a new part. All Of this is mostly done in chord I (roman numerals, not i) where near the end the emphasis moves to chords IV and V.

April 28, 2007, 04:26:09 AM

I find that Impaled Nazarene's 'Ugra Karma' is a fine accompaniment to walking around the disgusting streets of London. It has the (self-)destructive attitude of Punk, a style which could only have spawned from a shithole like this city. It also hints at a victory over elements of modernity and the masses in the melodious Black Metal conclusions the band manages to summon from those simple Punk riffs.

I know these cities are shitholes, but maybe we should think about what we'd like to have instead, so we don't get swallowed up by their shittiness and repeat it in ourselves?

April 28, 2007, 04:52:31 AM

I know these cities are shitholes, but maybe we should think about what we'd like to have instead, so we don't get swallowed up by their shittiness and repeat it in ourselves?

There hasn't been much action in your 'metal society' thread for a while now. http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/YaBB.cgi?board=metal_talk;action=display;num=1168916681

April 28, 2007, 07:53:59 AM
There hasn't been much action in your 'metal society' thread for a while now. http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/YaBB.cgi?board=metal_talk;action=display;num=1168916681

I think people are afraid of the commitment to this kind of effort, so they hide behind negative comments and doubt. People always do this until forced to do what is necessary, by nature or a strong leader. They're just illusioned.

I know a metal society could happen, but it would have to organize itself well and first achieve success in the current world, so it did not become insular and shut itself off. There are still islands for sale for only a few million dollars, but even more importantly, there's rural land in places like Minnesota, Texas, Missouri and Arkansas where a self-sufficient society would be undisturbed. These are too far from the major cities for the city-droids to reach, even if society eats shit and dies in a mob of angry violent starving morons.

May 02, 2007, 12:12:35 AM
I don't particularly follow the discussions of Metal listeners, but 'Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame' seems to receive no attention. In my opinion, it's better than 'Stronghold', as there's something a lot more rousing about it. It's catchier, but not in a fleeting pop sense, due to the arrangements, and something more. Are there any interesting/developed thoughts on this album?

I agree, it's far more developed than Stronghold was.  The rockisms are part of the album's accomplishments, I feel.  They managed to make a metal album with a fair amount of rockisms still seem thoroughly epic, and on top of that it expresses the glory of human triumph more than any other album they've made (or any other metal album I can think of, honestly).  A rock-oriented album that promotes the glory of the human spirit rather than negates it all to baseless hedonism is a worthy accomplishment, in my view.

Nevertheless, I was pleased to see the rockisms go with the latest album, even if they also removed most sonic resemblances to metal in the process.