Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Is metal the new indie rock?

Is metal the new indie rock?
April 10, 2007, 01:12:54 PM
Flipping through Decibel magazine is like sneaking a peak at an alien civilization, all its majesty on full display but all its codes left scrambled. Decibel is either the Murder Dog or the Wax Poetics of metal, maybe both. The magazine treats its subject ("extreme music") with respect but not reverence; it's fully immersed within its own world, but it isn't afraid to poke fun at itself. Most music magazines these days are written for teenagers; they don't assume their readers will have any knowledge-base about the music they cover. The writers and editors at Decibel are entirely willing to make neophyte readers feel like idiots; they presuppose that we'll already have a working understanding of the importance of Bolt Thrower and that we have some idea what the fuck "Swedish guitars" sound like. I might've never read Decibel if my roommate didn't sometimes write for it, but it might be the best music magazine around right now. It does exactly what a music magazine should: it makes you want to know more about the stuff it covers.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2006/02/is_metal_the_ne_1.php

Re: Is metal the new indie rock?
April 14, 2007, 08:25:32 AM
You're missing an "F" at the beginning of that article.

I'm enjoying reading some (some) of these recent postings. The underground failed... it's time to see how the rest of the world sees metal, and find a way that we can exist without getting sold out and while getting the artistic message of metal out to the world.

This is more important in the USA, where metal is viewed as appropriate for dumb guys working physical labor jobs, but not for smart people. I hate that. Not only are there some people working physical labor jobs who are good people, but also, there are smart people who like metal, and the media and most people (who get their opinions from the media) ignore that.

Up with metal!

RSF

April 14, 2007, 09:12:25 AM
I've found that it doesn't pay to worry about what the media at large portrays metal as. It doesn't affect me or the music I listen to and if someone wants to think that metal is idiot music, fine, let them.

April 14, 2007, 11:20:32 AM
I've found that it doesn't pay to worry about what the media at large portrays metal as. It doesn't affect me or the music I listen to and if someone wants to think that metal is idiot music, fine, let them.

It does affect you. If they decide it's crap to be banned, you'll see it banned. If they decide it's a serious artistic movement, the message gets out. Your "I please myself alone" is very much the Christian and capitalist attitude. Why?

RSF

April 14, 2007, 12:01:16 PM
Don't be so melodramatic. Nothing is under threat of getting banned here (and even if, somehow, a law was passed "banning" certain types of music, how would they enforce that with the widespread sharing of mp3's on the Internet which are already officially illegal anyway?).

Alternatively, I don't especially care about "the message getting out"--the people who are intelligent and receptive enough to appreciate metal will find it on their own just like the rest of us did.

Annihilaytorr

April 14, 2007, 12:55:04 PM
Metal could never be banned(unless America becomes a police state, and at which point we wouldn't give a fuck about shit like that, as we would have much more pressing concerns) and to suggest as much is fucking ridiculous dumbassery, but in a fantasy world where negative articles on Pantera and Dimmu Borgir published on VH1.com does get metal banned, that would be the single best thing that happen to metal post Morbid Angel. Not only would that put an end to Hatebreed and Xasthur, but it would also make metal underground again, and if there was anyone left with enough spirit to record and distribute metal, they would do so in a truly underground, scene and commercial free environment, and would do it for the art and rage that fueled the foundational acts, and not to fit in to some subculture. Metal would be extreme once again.

April 14, 2007, 01:17:32 PM

It does affect you. If they decide it's crap to be banned, you'll see it banned. If they decide it's a serious artistic movement, the message gets out. Your "I please myself alone" is very much the Christian and capitalist attitude. Why?

I thought it was more of a self assertive attitude he expressed rather then a conforming one.

Annihilaytorr

April 14, 2007, 01:27:08 PM
Me too, but some people have a nasty habit of drawing connections to populism/capitalism/christianity/democracy/humanitarianism and other anus taboos as a form of ad hominem during a failed argument. I find it rather interesting b4b resorts back to that when RSF called out another fella for that same sort of McCarthyist bullshit not two days ago.

April 16, 2007, 04:04:12 PM
I thought it was more of a self assertive attitude he expressed rather then a conforming one.

Think again.

Self-assertive attitudes that deny what goes on in the world around you are exactly how you get manipulated. You keep yourself happy, you make no changes... and suddenly, they've happened to you.

Self-assertive excuses of the type "Well I've got what I need, so I'll ignore the world" are the sign of someone lacking the will to fight and the will to make things better. I couldn't live with myself if I were that way.

April 17, 2007, 06:41:21 AM
And yet, when you boil everything down, every person, peoples and races throughout the history of time have thought in exactly the same way. They look at what is going to affect them and base what they do on that. No one can deny man's inherent selfish nature.

Hwat the media at large think is not essential to metal. But if you want to improve the general credibility of metal to the public at large then you have to improve metal's image to the media.

April 17, 2007, 08:49:32 AM
How the hell can you ban a genre of music? If it's over 200BPM it's metal? lolz

I don't want to change metal for the moron public, because then it becomes a product to flog to the masses. I would rather the public be smart enough to appreciate metal by itself (some may still not like it and that's fair enough, but it should still be appreciated).

April 17, 2007, 08:54:24 AM
We're not talking about changing metal itself, only the publics perception of it, so we can raise its status in wider society as a sofisticated art.

RSF

April 17, 2007, 02:17:32 PM
The "public" is a whole lot of people. Fuck most of them and let the smart, inquisitive ones dig through the media's bullshit and discover [good] metal for what it really is. Frankly we should all hope that metal's public image worsens to the point where bands like Trivium, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, etc. are no longer profitable (and thus will have no reason to exist) and the sort of people who would be their fans go find something else to amuse themselves with, hopefully lightyears away from anything metal. There's your eugenics, folks.

April 17, 2007, 03:59:45 PM
And yet, when you boil everything down, every person, peoples and races throughout the history of time have thought in exactly the same way. They look at what is going to affect them and base what they do on that. No one can deny man's inherent selfish nature.

I can.

All the great people (writers, artists, philosophers, musicians) are contrary evidence to your statement.

Also the unequal development of civilizations... such that two with the same resources turn out differently, one in third-world status and another prosperous.

Your vision on this issue seems limited.

RSF

April 17, 2007, 04:20:43 PM
All the great people (writers, artists, philosophers, musicians) are contrary evidence to your statement.

You can internally examine their motives for creating their art?