Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Summoning

Re: Summoning
April 13, 2007, 10:04:21 PM
The only problem I have with Summoning is that, outside of Dol Guldur, they're kind of one note. The sad, epic, wandering song over slowed down club beats with guitars crashing in the background is sort of overblown. Their melodies are good, and their music can be beautiful, but it lacks the kind of whole direction that made Darkthrone and Burzum cut a new path for us all.

April 14, 2007, 12:52:52 AM
Girlfriend? UNACCEPTABLE. YOU ARE BANISHED FROM THE METAL/SODOMY HALL IMMEDIATELY.

Just ponder what we may or may not have done with the goat to set your curiosity at unease.  

I am furthering the hijacking of my own thread.  This looks bad.  More pictures!

April 15, 2007, 05:03:32 PM
Different bands work well in different surroundings. Summoning i often crack open in the summer, and take a walk through the countryside, because its more positive. They are suitable for open surroundings and big hilly landscapes. Burzum is great for woodlands during the winter, i often take a wander at night with a Burzum album, or on a cold day in some woodlands. Darkthrone are great for the night as well. Immortal, as has already been said, should only be played at the top of a mountain in the rain or snow.

All of this appears to be an enlightenning experience that we all go through, listenning to and associating this music with nature helps to further the appreciation of it. It is a spiritual journey, but not in the Christian sense, its more about discovering the ancient spirit within after being brought up in the modern world.
In a state of permanent Abyss

April 15, 2007, 06:50:51 PM
What music is best for walking around a big human dwelling like a town or city?

April 15, 2007, 07:04:36 PM

Suffocation was the first thing that came to mind.

April 15, 2007, 07:21:57 PM

Ildjarn - Strength and Anger

April 16, 2007, 02:45:48 PM

If you walk around in the middle of the night when no one's around i've found Filosofem to be quite effective. During the day than I woule agree on listenning to Suffocation, or maybe early Napalm Death, brutal music rather than amospheric music.

Iconoclast

April 16, 2007, 03:12:53 PM

Dimmu Borgir (because god forbid the modern world is a circus)

April 16, 2007, 04:37:33 PM
Sepultura and early Morbid Angel for myself, as well as the later NYDM introduced by Cryptopsy(or rather personified by them). Also try early Deicide, and sing along loudly, so as to confuse the people near you.

April 17, 2007, 01:05:23 PM

As far as Summoning goes, yes I agree that Summoning is the type of music that makes you want to go outdoors. It makes me think of Bilbo being drawn from his comfortable hobbit home out into the big, scary world and all of the terror and adventure.

April 17, 2007, 01:12:00 PM

Godflesh - Streetcleaner

April 17, 2007, 11:01:20 PM

A dial tone.

April 18, 2007, 12:05:18 AM
The only problem I have with Summoning is that, outside of Dol Guldur, they're kind of one note. The sad, epic, wandering song over slowed down club beats with guitars crashing in the background is sort of overblown. Their melodies are good, and their music can be beautiful, but it lacks the kind of whole direction that made Darkthrone and Burzum cut a new path for us all.

I can see where you're coming from; yet, it doesn't take away from their epic and uplifting atmosphere that is beyond anything i've heard from Burzum or Darkthrone in this sense. These other two bands are more intellectual, in the sense that you can feel the comtemplation of world and fear in their music. Where Summoning differ, is in the inevitable truimph of will, which always brings a smile to my face.

I know it sounds like mushy superlatives, but that's my take. Take it for what it's worth.  

April 21, 2007, 11:26:12 PM
easily one of the BM bands of all time

April 22, 2007, 02:38:31 PM
I think what's also special about Summoning is that they haven't fucked up like so many other black metal bands. They're still going and they still making worthwhile music.