Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Misanthrope (film)

The Misanthrope (film)
April 21, 2007, 02:36:40 PM
Film about the black metal scene as Nocturno Culto saw it, made by him with apparently help from Peaceville label.

http://www.peaceville.com/themisanthrope/

Re: The Misanthrope (film)
May 24, 2007, 07:36:49 AM
I got a copy if you really care about this waste of time.  In fact, I will recommend that you so not watch it.  I wish I hadn't...

Let me know

It has scenes of Nocturno Culto ice fishing; may be that sounds interesting.

May 24, 2007, 08:36:20 AM
is it some Norwegian pastoral movie about chopping timber, ice fishing and playing black metal ?

May 25, 2007, 03:46:16 PM
It is actually amazingly bad.  It just goes to show that you can sell anything if it includes the words black or metal or nocturno or culto.  Nothing happens in this home video.  I do not understand why they even wanted to sell it... maybe just for cash.  But if they achieve this goal and people buy it, they will probably alienate fans because they are duping people into buying a sub par product.  And it is horrible that that is what this is reduced to... a mere product.  It has nothing to do with any feelings or music.  It is a pale nothing.  There is some footage of Nocturno Culto walking through the forest, some bad recent Darkthrone rehearsals (that don't even include full songs), Nocturno Culto interviews some old guy in the snow that shows his  paintings.  In short, this movie is essentially nothing and it has nothing to do with misanthrope, it pretty much just shows the members of Darkthrone getting along with everybody they encounter.  A waste of time and money.  Another example of a black metal product to be consumed... Go listen to an album or play guitar if you want a real metal experience...

Love

Gatir

May 26, 2007, 02:46:14 PM
it pretty much just shows the members of Darkthrone getting along with everybody they encounter.

Yeesh. Love metal.

May 26, 2007, 07:22:39 PM
Darkthrone were right; they ARE too old. If they can't release anything up to par with "Under the funeral moon," then quit the band and do something else. This is just embarassing.

May 27, 2007, 04:52:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this. By the way, how was the CD with the bonus tracks? "Composed specially for this film"? Or was it just background noise?

May 28, 2007, 06:16:15 PM
Ya know... to their credit Darkthrone did create a noise album that is less of a waste of time than the movie... cd is not a complete waste of time...it is the noise stuff that Nocturno Culto walks around in the forest to.
Its kinda interesting, some of the sounds that they make confuses me cuz I don't know how they made them.  If you guys care I'll put it on the audiofile page.
I am trying to hold back from putting the movie up here, because I don't think anybody should waste their time watching it... but as a guilty pleasure it might be fun to see what other people think of it... I dunno I was mainly trying to spare you .... your time.

Iconoclast

May 30, 2007, 12:29:04 AM
Darkthrone is terribly overrated.  Most black metal is; it came from good ideas that fell short due to the immaturity of the bands that followed it.

I've always felt Death Metal to be a more mature and insightful genre; but I do commend BM for revolting against the commercialization of DM, even if BM ended up being WAY more commercial than DM.