Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Rock music was an easy buck

Rock music was an easy buck
April 24, 2007, 04:35:08 PM
Elektra's history dates back to 1950, when a 19-year-old Holzman founded the record company in his dorm room at St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland.

It was a good time to be starting a label, he observes. The LP record, high-quality magnetic tape and FM were all new, and there was the growing postwar consumer culture to feed.

"It made for a fertile field for independent record labels," says Holzman. (A fellow St. John's grad felt the same way; Ahmet Ertegun had founded Atlantic Records in 1947.)

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/19/holzman.elektra/index.html

It was like the internet boom, but years earlier... new format... suddenly cheaper... need new music. And ever since then they've been pumping out the same crap. Metal was a revolution against that, and that's why major labels hate it.

Re: Rock music was an easy buck
May 01, 2007, 04:53:34 PM
Their curriculum is the same for all students and consists of reading 100 great books, everything from Plato to Freud to the Bible (although this site gave it a C+ I think).  There are no grades.

Actually, I'd like to attend such a place. Concentration over specialization, yo.

May 02, 2007, 02:52:15 AM
But metal too was eventually swallowed up by the mainstream, and thre internet boom can be seen as one of the causes of this popularisation of metal.  

K.

May 02, 2007, 06:45:05 AM
The Major lables do hate metal, that is why the have always tried to redefine it, with bands like poison and slaughter in the 80's, and today the labels are trying to pass emotive hardcore as 'metal', for example my chemical romance is listed in metalunderground.com. Obviously, this site is not intended on the underground, but an attempt to disinform, and substitute metal for their own easily produced bullshit.

Best Music Poll from Boston Pheonix;
local;
Metal/harcore:  All that remains, converge, killswitch engage, shadows fall, since the flood, unearth

national;
Hardrock [no metal catagory]: Afi, Deftones, Mars Volta, Mastodon, System of a Down, Tool.

Iconoclast

May 02, 2007, 04:59:10 PM
The Major lables do hate metal, that is why the have always tried to redefine it, with bands like poison and slaughter in the 80's, and today the labels are trying to pass emotive hardcore as 'metal', for example my chemical romance is listed in metalunderground.com. Obviously, this site is not intended on the underground, but an attempt to disinform, and substitute metal for their own easily produced bullshit.

Best Music Poll from Boston Pheonix;
local;
Metal/harcore:  All that remains, converge, killswitch engage, shadows fall, since the flood, unearth

national;
Hardrock [no metal catagory]: Afi, Deftones, Mars Volta, Mastodon, System of a Down, Tool.

The only thing they intend is to make money.  They don't hate (real) metal -- it simply doesn't sell when they want it to.  

May 07, 2007, 04:44:18 PM
They don't hate (real) metal -- it simply doesn't sell when they want it to.  

The whole rock business was built on a lie. It was that thousands of kids would come out of the newly-built suburbs looking for real life experience, sex and drugs and real life, and they'd get it from rock. It only sold because a few people controlled the music magazines, MTV, and the radio. Now that rock music can be made anywhere, people are seeing how cheap it is, and its necessity has disappeared. Kids listen to whatever these days, and it's an improvement. They don't treat rock stars like gods. Of course, none of the music is any good, but was it ever?

May 07, 2007, 10:17:46 PM
i think your overgeneralizing here, i don't think rock music is of poor quality, only certain individuals who make rock music.

Most people are weak and dependent and rock musicians are no different, i can guarantee the same number of self assertive people worthy of the life given to them will be the same percentage in rock as classical as horror literature.  

May 08, 2007, 05:18:24 AM
Rock is not an extreme genre, and it is because of this that it does not have the short life expentancy we now see in punk or extreme metal. I think rock, despite on the whole being useless has produced many worthwhile bands and artists who i won't mention here as they have already been named in other rock related threads. I need hardly add that it is such a huge catagory of music that one simply cannot make generalizations about it.

May 08, 2007, 05:00:13 PM
i can guarantee the same number of self assertive people worthy of the life given to them will be the same percentage in rock as classical as horror literature.  

I can guarantee you need a brain enema. Different genres attract different minds. Rock music is easy to make and it attracts people who want easy. Where are the great philosophers and poets in rock? There aren't any except those rock musicians, writers and fans decide are "great," which are very far from what is actually great.

May 08, 2007, 10:43:55 PM
Taking classical as an example, there were hundred upon hundreds of baroque period composer, yet almost all made the so called herd mentality strung throughout there music, only a few composer from that era actually made music that transcended the crowd. The number of intellectual composers of the baroque period seems to be about the same percent of intellectual people compared to everyone else.

With pop music what is called pop music is all tripe, but other forms of music, despite following the same formula and musically little different from other pop music are groups who actually have something to say beyond that of pleasure for the crowd.

" Rock music is easy to make and it attracts people who want easy", is it really. Do not be fooled, it takes just as much imagination to write a good (key word good) work as it would any symphony. A symphony simply takes longer, but takes no less imagination. Its often much harder to write something simple and make it unique then to write something complex, as i have found through experience.

May 09, 2007, 11:30:21 PM
One simply cannot generalize. Granted at least 90% of rock music fits the description of being easy to make and attracting people who want it easy. But one could say the same of metal, and as mayhem-to-carnage has already said classical as well. It seems you are using the steriotype of rock 'n' roll to create your theories of rock in general. Listen Queens of the Stone Age, no better yet listen to Godspeed you black Emperor, or Pink Floyd, or The Doors, its anything but easy. And then listen to Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Trivium, and the countless other bands that make metal 90% crap.

May 10, 2007, 05:40:44 AM
compare those rock bands with the best of good genres

for example Godspeed you Black Emperor is like  a Helen Keller Maeror Tri

May 12, 2007, 12:30:34 PM
Every genre is going to have a range of bands, varying in ability to make good music.  The reason metal is viewed any differently is because most metal fans will not even acknowledge the bands that make poor music.  I have found that most true fans of metal are musically inclined, if not accomplished musicians to some degree.  Rock is supportive of the thoughtless garage band, and getting rich off of a couple vocal hooks.  But you can't say that every band in the genre plays simple music, or did nothing to further its genre, simply because a lot of newer bands have refused to build on what they gave to the genre.  For instance, if more new bands had taken influence from the MUSIC of Rush, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc (I know I am kind of expanding the genre, but rock is a very general term) instead of AC/DC, and other similar acts that suggest that solos should be the only creative piece of writing, I think we would be facing a very different scenario.  Rock music was probably made for an easy buck, but there have at least been some bands that have refused to allow that to be their inspiration, and they have to at least be acknowledged in an argument of this type.

May 21, 2007, 07:27:13 PM
Rock music made money when it was hard to find. Now that it is everywhere with MP3s, people don't want to pay for it, because they know it has the quality level of television.

May 31, 2007, 09:27:33 AM
As always... cream will rise to the top and newer trends cull off the shit in any genre. Metal is great now because it isn't popular. Capitalism fucks everything up- that's why I like blatantly anti-commercial shit like Green Carnation (come on, an hour-long song?)