Metal > Metal

Summoning make stand against fascism

<< < (51/53) > >>

istaros:
^Or Protector really is that ideologically incoherent, while somehow being simultaneously blessed with musical near-genius. We don't need to make excuses in defense of his persona - unless we're personal friends of his, or he becomes some sort of political leader, "who he is" could not be less important.

Summoning is one of maybe three current musical acts who have made nothing but good albums, and each with their own sense of being. Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame is their lowest point, and the only one that might justifiably be called repetitive as it is little more than a maudlin distillation of every technique that preceded it - and even that is above par.

nothingnowhere:

--- Quote from: istaros on June 17, 2010, 01:30:13 PM ---^Or Protector really is that ideologically incoherent, while somehow being simultaneously blessed with musical near-genius. We don't need to make excuses in defense of his persona - unless we're personal friends of his, or he becomes some sort of political leader, "who he is" could not be less important.

Summoning is one of maybe three current musical acts who have made nothing but good albums, and each with their own sense of being. Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame is their lowest point, and the only one that might justifiably be called repetitive as it is little more than a maudlin distillation of every technique that preceded it - and even that is above par.

--- End quote ---

I think Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame tops Stronghold. It does away with a lot of the cheese and plays in a simpler, but still imaginative and evocative style. Either way they are both solid albums, even if they aren't as great as their earlier works.

istaros:
I used to think Stronghold was their weakest, and that Let Mortal Heroes Sing your Fame topped both it and Oath Bound. Over time, I've come to see the error in my thinking. How is Stronghold less cheesy than the subsequent album? The latter is essentially just a D&D soundtrack, and it's the only album by Summoning that actually strikes me as cheesy at all.

chpinhlf:
I don't see the significance of the origin of the instruments. Depending on how you see it, dogs were either domesticated in East Asia or the Middle East. Should Nazis not own dogs because of this? The earliest bread has been traced to Egypt. Should Nazis not eat bread? The examples are endless.

Varg - "Comparing an instrument with a music culture is rather odd, I think. It is like comparing letters with languages. I can use Latin letters when I write Russian, and it will still be Russian, right? But if I write another language with Russian letters, it will not be Russian anyhow. See my point?.... So if I use an instrument made by a Jew to play European music the music will still be European. Or for that sake: these answers are not American, even though I use an American invention - the PC - when I answer the question. Right?"

Conservationist:

--- Quote from: chpinhlf on June 21, 2010, 08:49:03 PM ---I don't see the significance of the origin of the instruments.
--- End quote ---

Especially since they use European tunings, scales and harmony.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version