Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Quebecois black metal

Quebecois black metal
May 11, 2007, 10:57:01 PM
It would appear as though most black metal post 1997 exhibits the same redundant and rehashed concepts that made the originators in Norway great, however I observe the modern scene in Quebec to have many similarities to what happened in Norway in 1989-1994. The sound of Quebec black metal is unique enough to be credited as a subgenre, heavily laden with nationalist feelings that are transfered through a unique style of writing melodic passages that manage to evoke a cold and picturesque feel. While most bands from the area do not make metal worthy of individual mention, as a whole they deserve observation for staying true to the art and not dumbing down their music with self-pity and other new age agenda.  

A few interesting projects are
Akitsa
Thesyre
Brume d'Automne
Forteresse
Ciel Nordique
Héritage Mystique

Re: Quebecois black metal
May 11, 2007, 11:16:37 PM
is there any chance you could upload anything?

May 12, 2007, 02:40:39 AM
Esker
and the triumvirate of Unquintessence/Trails of Anguish/Nefastus Dies ( all of whom share former members)

May 12, 2007, 03:38:25 AM
I downloaded Au combat by Akitsa and it reminds of of old Bathory and slightly of Sodom. It almost feels like a parallel to sacramentum and the like.

May 12, 2007, 01:04:05 PM
I find Ekinox to be quite excellent Quebecois black metal. Hard to describe, has a very burzum feel yet incorporates some epic melodic parts in vein of setherial (nord era) and taake (nattestid ser porten vid)..

May 13, 2007, 08:22:36 AM
Sorcier des Glaces.

May 13, 2007, 10:09:47 AM
Isn't Akitsa a joke-band? Their music sounds like an Absurd rip-off mixed with Ildjarn. I've listened to the 'Aube de la Misanthropie' compilation but it didn't do much for me.

Esker is great. Frozen Shadows are good.

Quebec has some good death metal too, like Gorguts for instance. But I wouldn't go as far as to compare the Quebec scene with the Norwegian one. Why would you want to anyway? I mean; it's ok if you are proud of your scene but don't start another trend where every band from country X is considered to be great and automatically gets attention.

May 13, 2007, 02:09:23 PM
Ekinox, Esker (RIP) and Fragments of Sentience (RIP) are my favorite. I uploaded Ekinox and FOS on the forum, just make a research.

Brume d'Automne (uploaded too) and Forteresse for their traditional sense of music are to be named.

I totally agree with D_L, it possess a unique sound.

But musically, I think that the best achievement is still the first CD of Sorcier des Glaces

May 14, 2007, 02:09:35 AM
Malvery is awesome but requires fortitude.

May 14, 2007, 12:30:59 PM
any chance of posting their full length helix?

May 15, 2007, 09:43:03 PM
yes. I'll have to rip it, but I'll let you know when it's available here.

May 17, 2007, 12:28:51 AM
Isn't Akitsa a joke-band?

I get this feeling too...since if you pronounce Akitsa the French way you get "à qui ça?" which translates to "who's [band/land] is this?"

May 27, 2007, 06:47:55 PM
Now I am listening to song by Nordmen on northern (Canadian black metal compilation) and I think it is pretty nice with some Graveland influences and I will give them more try in future. Song by Sorcier des Glaces on the same compilation didnt get me altough they are one of my favourite bands, but it seems new stuff is less interesting and original  than Snowland. From other stuff I have heard I think that nowadays Quebec scene is one of few possibilities where one can look for some quality metal (together with the one in Poland)