Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Chasm- The Spell of Retribution

The Chasm- The Spell of Retribution
October 15, 2004, 02:59:07 AM
From www.enterthedeathcult.com :
The Spell of Retribution to be Unleashed on CD and Limited edition Vinyl on November 16th 2004.

There are two mp3s avaliable here http://www.enterthedeathcult.com/UntitledFrameset-3.htm - Fortress is the whole song, Conjuring the New Apocalyps isn't.  Judging from Fortress, this one won't be quite as good as Deathcult was, but better than Conjuration; it's got the more dramatic structuring that Deathcult had, with a riffing style closer to Conjuration.  

Re: The Chasm- The Spell of Retribution
October 15, 2004, 09:52:16 AM
I have high hopes. It won't beat Deathcult... I'd wager, but there's a good chance it'll be better than anything else they've written.

October 15, 2004, 02:04:29 PM
Daniel Corchado has passion for the music and ideology so I would wager that whatever comes out will be worthwhile and one of the best releases of the year.  They are one of the last bands around that is putting out good releases in my opinion.

October 15, 2004, 06:12:39 PM
I just plain didn't like the last one period but those two songs seemed alright.

October 17, 2004, 04:43:07 PM
I just downloaded the leak- don't waste your time or money.  You've already heard what is by far the best song on the album (Fortress).  The whole album basically mimics the previous one, except it has only a fraction of the spirit.

October 19, 2004, 11:16:14 AM
THE CHASM: New Album "The Spell Of Retribution" released 8th November

The Chasm's debut album for Wicked World "The Spell Of Retribution" will be released in UK & Europe on 8th November 2004. The 66 minute long heavy metal epic takes a lot of it¹s influences from the band's South American background incorporating spirtuality, ancient heritage, philosophy and a genuine reverance for their background. Through the band's 10 year career they have never lost sight of their love of the metal classics that inspired them (Slayer, Judas Priest and Bathory) but The Chasm are unique, no-one else sounds like them.

Check out an MP3 for the track "Fortress" here:
http://www.earache.com/bands/chasm/mp3/Fortress.mp3

(Fear the hints of retro, and heavy metal, most probably.)

October 19, 2004, 12:25:21 PM

that's what's always bugged me about the chasm and they're not exactly getting any better about it

October 19, 2004, 02:07:46 PM

that's what's always bugged me about the chasm and they're not exactly getting any better about it

Thing is, though, in the past they've been able to use that influence fairly intelligently, similar to the first Unleashed album, or perhaps Varathron.

On this new album, that influence is particularly obnoxious in some of the lead guitar; overall, though, that's not the main problem with the album (that being that they're just rehasing a formula used on previous albums).

October 19, 2004, 06:53:18 PM

I understand why this might put you off most of their stuff, but Deathcult?

October 19, 2004, 07:17:47 PM
Yesterday night I was listening to the new album, a friend of mine gave me her promo because she didn't like it at all. I have to say it is a cool album, not that amazing as some reviews say but I like it somehow. I could say they are Dissection' sons and in my own opinion, "Deathcult..." is their master work.

October 20, 2004, 03:14:46 PM
I haven't heard the new one, but Deathcult is their only masterpiece thusfar, imo. "Conjuration..." has streaks of genius but it's not quite unique or interesting enough, while the other albums suffer from a lack of coherence/progression horizontally (odd indeed considering Deathcult... is the utter master of this). That said, I think they have easily the best sense of melody in death metal, it's extremely unpredictable yet always logical.

October 20, 2004, 06:45:22 PM
This is a great death metal band but I've heard Corchado is an angry dude, he gets upset if you don't like their music and he spit corrosive words to the audience if they don't react the way he expects to. That sucks, however, I like the music.

October 20, 2004, 08:50:38 PM
Meh, I'm used to great artists being arseholes.

October 21, 2004, 12:49:47 AM

I understand why this might put you off most of their stuff, but Deathcult?

I like Deathcult but even it does feel a little "old metal" to me.

October 21, 2004, 06:04:14 AM
Doesn't to me.