Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Electronic music

Electronic music
May 12, 2007, 12:46:08 PM
The "Techno/Electronica" thread went to Moron for being a survey thread. Instead, you get this. Deal.

Techno, Industrial, Electronic, Darkwave and Electronica bands either influenced by metal, creating something similar to contemporaneous metal, or having useful influences possible on metal:

Kraftwerk
Tangerine Dream
 Biosphere
 Neptune Towers
 Maeror Tri
Autechre
Godflesh
Einsturzende Neubauten
Laibach
Killing Joke
Ministry
Zeni Geva
... and many more, I'm sure.

Re: Electronic music
May 12, 2007, 02:22:02 PM
What's the point in this thread? A catalogue for decent electronic music?

Lustmord = awesome

May 12, 2007, 09:56:42 PM
It would be a stretch but early King Crimson, they early music was made before the synthesizer was invented and they used many effects on their electric keyboard. The music sounds organic but uses its electronic instrument heavily.

May 13, 2007, 03:25:01 AM
Skinny Puppy was really good up to Last Rights or so.

May 13, 2007, 11:34:47 AM
Wendy (formerly Walter) Carlos, blatently.
Switched On Bach got the whole electronica movement started and for a genre so closely tied to soundtrack composition, she has composed some of the most influential: The Shining, Tron (heard in Ministry's first album), and Clockwork Orange (everything from Kraftwerk to the latest Ulver owes this one for their sound). Also helped to build the Moog itself.

Rick Wakeman too.

May 14, 2007, 11:09:22 AM
I like this song for its potential it could have in a more Metal environment.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HE6C8ORE

Two favourite Techno acts are:

The Future Sound of London
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GCoCTkC0oL0

and

Orbital (only the In Sides album is great)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=q25Zx6B5HJA

Both have a big ambient influence (can't tell from clips because their edited versions)

May 14, 2007, 11:15:29 AM
The Future Sound of London's "Dead Cities" album is good. It is based around the concept of post apocolyptic urban decay. For people looking for something a bit heavier than that though i would recomend Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares and Squarepusher.
In a state of permanent Abyss

May 14, 2007, 11:41:39 AM
'electric doom synthesis' anyone?
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

May 14, 2007, 12:47:53 PM
We're talking about specifically electronic bands rather than metal bands that went electronic. If that were the case we could also mention the likes of Burzum and Ildjarn, but if you don't know about them then you shouldn't be on this forum.

May 19, 2007, 03:42:33 AM
As discussed in the neoclassical section of anus, VNV Nation is an outstanding synthpop band.

Their album Empires is especially noteworthy imho.

May 19, 2007, 07:53:51 AM
First thing that comes in mind is MZ.412 who introduced the so called black industrial genre. The titles of their albums and songs, the band logo even the album covers bring black metal in mind. The album cover of "Burning The House Of God" for example features the photo of a burning church and one could easily think that this is a black metal album judging from this fact alone:

In the beggining they even adopted black metal imagery (corpse paint etc) that they abandonded in later albums:

It is one of the projects of Henrik Nordvargr Björkk (other projects include Toroidh, Folkstorm, Nordvargr, Goatvargr).

Another example would be "Blood Axis", which is the music project of Michael Moynihan, co-author of "Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground". (Incidentally I just noticed that the cover of this book has the same photo with the one of the MZ.412 album mentioned above).

Finally "Kreuzweg Ost", which is the martial industrial side project of Silenius from Summoning.

May 20, 2007, 11:38:37 AM
When it comes to mixing techno and metal I think it's best to take hardcore techno as a basis and improve it by adding elements of extreme metal, as oppossed to taking metal as a basis and decorate it with techno-loops and try to squeeze in house-beats. Anno 2007 many things have already been done one way or another so I'm more interested to hear neo-classical themes and melodies added in the mix. I don't mean classical music used as samples but classical music translated into techno-sounds like in the video I posted above.

May 20, 2007, 01:47:54 PM
All this talk of electronic music made me download VNV Nation's "Empires" album, a good example of neo-classical style of electronic music. It's not as heavy as the usual electronic music i listen to and suggested in a previous post; incorporating many pop elements but avoiding predictability. I recomend it to anyone looking for decent electronic music.  

May 21, 2007, 03:31:23 AM
http://pages.ripco.net/~saxmania/kraft.html

The ideal is to communicate to people.

a lost art...