Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Communicating with normals

Communicating with normals
June 03, 2007, 07:18:39 PM
I looked back over the What would a metal society look like? thread, I saw how many of you expressed skepticism at the idea of communicating with normals and making metal's value known, especially underground metal (they seem to inherently grok heavy metal, as it gives the proids an escape valve to think they're living dangerously between eight-hour slavery escapades at jobs).

I think it's valuable to communicate what underground metal music means, what it attempts to express and how it tries to condition us to live that way, and where it fits in the pantheon of artistic idols we have. I think we need to make this communication to mortals because metal fans are unlikely to do it. Most of them live recklessly as teens and twenties, then sober up in their thirties and get married and join the middle class. At that point, they pretty much give up on being metal and their record collections are either given away or go into a backroom box where they stay until the yard sale that announces migration to a retirement home.

Only by having the art-smart normals understand this stuff will we be able to preserve it. We want future generations to be able to pick up Dismember demos and Slayer bootlegs, Demilich CDs and Morbid Angel live sets, so we need them to find a home among others. Either someone sets up a fanatical metal non-profit that stores this stuff like a museum, or we let normals do it for us.

I don't see the former being much of an option. If the people on this forum for example spent as much time promoting metal as they did here talking about their own likes and dislikes, metal might go somewhere, but one thing I've noticed about metalheads is that they often use alienation as an excuse to do nothing. They then wonder why they're miserable, but of course they're miserable because they have no impact and are unlikely to, since they're too busy with themselves. So a metal non-profit is going to be a non-starter, because the people who understand metal have no drive and no will to achieve anything but their own comfort.

Re: Communicating with normals
June 03, 2007, 08:39:54 PM
Gay Christ Records is a start. †It has been semi-dormant for a while but I'll soon be comissioning an updated site design and hopefully adding more reviews and other content, as well as links to downloadable material.

June 03, 2007, 09:58:05 PM
If the people on this forum for example spent as much time promoting metal as they did here talking about their own likes and dislikes, metal might go somewhere, but one thing I've noticed about metalheads is that they often use alienation as an excuse to do nothing.

i think it would be more productive for metal fans to write better or just good music and worry about promotion later or maybe not worry about it at all. †

you have to remember, the way information travels today is much different than when metal started. †nowdays, with efficiency in transmitting information, half-formed metal bands have just as much promotional space as do good, serious bands. †I think the problem that your describing isnt so much due to metal fans being lazy or using excuses. †I think its more attributed to difficulty in finding a balanced medium for the promotion of their music without having to resort to the pomp of the internet or other mainstream forms of advertising. †

You won't see very many fanzines today unless they're on the internet, where they have to compete for numbers of visitors with more established websites (or maybe glossy-er ones). †In the case of Anus.com, the success isnt due to these superficial factors and it is good that anus is such a highly respected site by many, but also remember that the majority of today's metal fans flock to relapse or other cheese sites, turned off entirely by anus.com. †And you may say that this is a good thing and that it helps "separate the real from the false metal fans," but there are also problems with this in that for people who do like this website but misinterpret the message in the opinions section and reviews have a tendency to create a "by the book" approach to metal, whether it be in writing music or critiqueing newer bands. †

Thats not to say that most metal bands AREN'T crap; its true many bands today are ridiculously stupid. †What i'm talking about is the problem where metal fans become TOO serious and robotically construct music or criticism of other bands with their fundamentalist sensibilities and forget about how bands like Deicide, Mayhem, Ildjarn, and others shaped the music we love by initially dropping this tendency. †To me, this seems like the only way to create something genuine and this allows individuals to realize the meaning behind what they're saying, furthermore opening the possibility for actual progress.

June 04, 2007, 01:10:38 AM
I would say the majority of people will never understand metal, but Iím sure there would be those "non-metalheads" who would be able to see metal for what it tries to do even if the musical aesthetic does not suite them. So i guess the problem is finding those with enough influence (who see metal as an artistic effort) to raise awareness. If a classical composer or the director of an art museum promoted such an idea it would have much more effect then a member of the metal community.

June 04, 2007, 01:16:05 AM
If a classical composer or the director of an art museum promoted such an idea it would have much more effect then a member of the metal community.

But what are the correct ways to set about this? I can't just explain to them the parallels between metal and Romantic art, because to a lot of people, it's still "just noise."

June 04, 2007, 01:34:09 AM
Thatís why an intelligent person would realise music isnít made great about its aesthetic qualities, but why they chose those aesthetic qualities and what it means. So the right person would be able to see past the "ugly" exterior of metal. And i think somebody like a composer or an artist or the like are probably among the most likely to see this, and will be well respected when they make such claims to the public.

June 04, 2007, 03:17:19 AM
People who don't understand the draw of metal just never will. That's not to say that other people do not have a "warrior spirit" like most intelligent metalheads I've met, but they who do not understand metal just never will. They don't relate to the inner and outer struggles the same way, and maybe they haven't had any sort of struggle to relate to in their lives, I would be wary of somebody whou couldn't relate to those things, because it would mean that they either lack empathy, or have been so sheltered that they will just never be able to step outside of themselves. For example, my stepmom friggin hates metal, but I explained to her what some of the songs mean, and the emotions that are apparent in the music itself, not only the lyrics, and she was able to at least appreciate the intent behind the music, if not the music itself. If one is mindful of one's surroundings, and the people that are around them, one should be able to communicate adequately no matter what environment they are in. I think so many metalheads get themselves into an isolative funk, don't want to communicate, and make excuses not to, mostly on the premise that the ignorant masses could never understand ::)

June 04, 2007, 06:28:30 AM
People who don't understand the draw of metal just never will.

People arenít born and listen to metal, its an acquired taste, so you begin with not understanding it then grow and understanding. Its like saying those who cant play an instrument never will. In order to play one you had to have started at not being able to play one.

shadowmystic

June 04, 2007, 10:07:35 AM
Its true.  THe first time I heard Nirvana I thought it was far to heavy to be listenable.  Admittely I was about 8 at the time.

June 04, 2007, 11:08:28 AM
It comes back to metal's public image again then. Most people don't see metal as a credible artistic movement because to them it's just noise; in many cases this is because their perception of metal is that of the more popular but essentially crap bands. But if people were exposed more to decent metal then some of them might learn to love it, real metal is not always open to everyone. The more exposure real metal gets like this the more people might filter down into liking it, even if there is still a majority that just don't "get it".  

June 04, 2007, 02:59:53 PM
In general the "normals" tend to be comprised of trendwhores, are in complete denial, or both.  This makes any kind of meaningful communication impossible.  It seems to me that people have the perception that if they deny the truth hard enough and enough people deny it with them, it somehow becomes false...  It's more sad than anything, but repulsive and irritating also come to mind a lot when discussing "the crowd."

June 04, 2007, 11:25:50 PM
The people you call normals are often not all that normal.

I would say that ninety percent of people on earth are followers who need to be told what to do, another 8.6% can figure out what to do if given direction, and 1.4% have a chance of finding a direction.

So some normals are worth checking out. As Varg said, they are our people... just asleep. They need waking up.

June 05, 2007, 12:03:59 AM
they are our people... just asleep. They need waking up.

I like that...

June 05, 2007, 03:54:13 PM
The people you call normals are often not all that normal.

I would say that ninety percent of people on earth are followers who need to be told what to do, another 8.6% can figure out what to do if given direction, and 1.4% have a chance of finding a direction.

So some normals are worth checking out. As Varg said, they are our people... just asleep. They need waking up.

Well, as was already said, intelligent normals (by that i mean someone who isn't into metal) can usually at least sympathize with metal as an artistic movement and sometimes even show curiousity about the music, even if they don't enjoy it themselves. But countless other normals are both impatient an unsympathetic to the idea of metal as anything other than a joke, and just buy the inaccurate parody of metal that is often portayed in the media. Sure, Spinal Tap was funny, but it doesn't represent the whole of metal.

June 07, 2007, 01:55:58 AM
I have a question. Why does it matter? Why do we need more people? Besides, don't most people get into metal on their own? If they're intelligent they'll find it regardless, or at least learn the ideals on their own.