Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Communicating with normals

Re: Communicating with normals
June 07, 2007, 05:48:05 AM
If your intelligent that does not mean you will gravitate towards metal, or music in general.

June 07, 2007, 06:22:17 AM
Certain people want to learn about a better style of music. But some people Just will never understand that metal is an actual art form,they will always think its a simple primitive style of music that anyone can play. Guys in my music class are making a spoof deathmetal band, im so dissapointed.

June 07, 2007, 06:48:56 AM
Certain people want to learn about a better style of music. But some people Just will never understand that metal is an actual art form,they will always think its a simple primitive style of music that anyone can play. Guys in my music class are making a spoof deathmetal band, im so dissapointed.

Are you talking about Ritchie and Asher. Anyway the use of the word better treats it as being solely objective with metal being the main desired outcome.

June 07, 2007, 07:43:51 AM
I've tried communicating with my 'normal' friends about   Metal but most of them don't seem to go beyond the 'ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?-inflames -DImmu Borgir' territory. THis one guy think Death Metal is megalomaniac. The other guy - is a Christian.

I don't think we can "convert" them as such. It is themselves who can find the "darkness/light". I haven't been able to change anyone as yet. How do I change someone who likes  Macdonalds, says "rock on" once in a while, and asks me to teach him some "cool guitar licks"?

June 07, 2007, 10:37:36 AM
That's precisely the kind of person you don't want to teach, cos its a waste of time. Its the intelligent people who are willing to be open to metal that i'm interested in, even if they don't like the music teaching them about it could help to improve the general publics perception of metal.

June 08, 2007, 12:20:42 AM
I know some girl who i played 'In The Nightside Eclipse' to. She's never listened to metal and she loved it. Albeit she did say she liked it because it was catchy and sounded liek music from a Tim Burton movie. She still listens to pop music, but now she's more open to metal. She'll only listen to the softer music though. No death metal in her future. If only she had an ass.

June 09, 2007, 08:48:04 AM
I know some girl who i played 'In The Nightside Eclipse' to. She's never listened to metal and she loved it. Albeit she did say she liked it because it was catchy and sounded liek music from a Tim Burton movie. She still listens to pop music, but now she's more open to metal. She'll only listen to the softer music though. No death metal in her future. If only she had an ass.

haha, I think my christian gf somewhat liked that album a lil bit too when I played it for her! Some tiems she actually gets scared!!

Why would we want braindead people to like quality music, if they don't want to understand the value of it? It could be alright if they respected it more. Why care for the weak? They are weak and won't do humanity much good anywayz!
Brainwashed people on the other hand.... I've helped a couple of guys in my life! Still a couple on their way, they are atm on the My Chemical Romance and Bullets For My Valentine stage! If they have been brainwashed once, they could always be brainedwashed another time... only this time to be thinking more open, clear and have their own opinions without people/mainstream getting in their way!

(sorry for my bad english) >_<

Vajra

June 09, 2007, 10:17:00 AM
haha, I think my christian gf somewhat liked that album a lil bit too when I played it for her! Some tiems she actually gets scared!!

Why would we want braindead people to like quality music, if they don't want to understand the value of it? It could be alright if they respected it more. Why care for the weak? They are weak and won't do humanity much good anywayz!
Brainwashed people on the other hand.... I've helped a couple of guys in my life! Still a couple on their way, atm on the MCR(My C...) and BFMV(Bullets...) stage! If they have been brainwashed once, they could always be brainedwashed another time... only this time to be thinking more open, clear and have their own opinions without people/mainstream getting in their way!

huh?

June 09, 2007, 05:17:55 PM
Well, in this department it seems I have planted some seeds. I've got a friend who is 4 years younger than me, by chance I manage to catch him in this specific period of time when as a teenager he starts to discover music beyond that which is popular, although he has loads of crappy music including the worse of what metal came up with, but I pump suggestions about better bands and he is interested to listen to and recieve information, debate about it and to try and learn more. It's commandable, since he is of few persons I know who is willing to explore that which is unknown to him. I've directed him to Dark Legions Archives and the Neoclassical site, and even introduced him to At The Gates which he liked very much.

1337Dude

June 10, 2007, 06:07:25 AM
Intelligent people gravitating towards good death/black metal is a dumb idea. Despite what anyone here thinks, good metal is simply an acquired taste. It's no more complex than that. You could say, on the other hand, that people already listening to metal are more philosophical or open-minded. And those people were philosophical and open-minded to begin with. Good metal isn't going to change somebody's opinion right then and there - no matter what their qualities are.

It's simply a matter of slowly working your way into metal, and then put "Cool" and "Style" aside and just listen to the music. It shouldn't be hard for anyone to figure out the difference in quality between Dimmu Borgir and Burzum.  

June 10, 2007, 12:39:12 PM
Everyone likes metal, but most people are afraid to admit it and be in the minority. The proud minority though. However there's nothing so bloody amazing about 'liking' metal. All that means is your auditory sensors find it appealling.

June 10, 2007, 05:52:35 PM
I don't think metal is an acquired taste. I've never not liked metal. Ever since the first time i heard it I've liked it, even before I knew what it was. I don't think people don't like metal because of its sound. I think it's because it's aggressive and rebelious and involves thinking for one's self. In today's world, everyone is a pussy and just accepts everything as is. Also, metal involves not being in denial as most peopel today are. That's why peopel don't like metal, not because of it's sound.

K.

June 10, 2007, 06:52:30 PM
Everyone likes metal, but most people are afraid to admit it and be in the minority.

There is too much absolutist assumption in this thread. Metal is not meant for everyone, and trying to some how rationally prove that it is an inherently good or aesthetically pleasing is completely pointless. It is all subjective, people can genuinely like or dislike metal, but it does not automatically mean that someone who does not like metal is in denial or socially brainwashed.
It is also especially appalling to see the same christian tendency to propagate itself infectiously with the self sustaining ideal of 'This is how it works for me; this is how it should work for everyone'. This is what I mean by absolutist, that there is only one right way, and it just happens to be your way.  Nothing has any inherent value, therefore, the worth of music becomes completely subjective regardless of your ability to understand why some people don't like metal.
(I didn't specifically mean to rag on you, lockthemup. I think I understand your point, about how the herd mentality can prevent people from discovering something about themselves.)

June 11, 2007, 03:34:07 AM
I think possible metalheads will find metal and we don't need to feed it to anyone.  I don't really talk about metal with the non-metal people but there are certain people who do listen to "metal" but it is crappy "metal".  

The aim is to find people that already listen to metal and perhaps help them in finding 'better metal'.
(does that sound christian?)

June 11, 2007, 04:42:30 AM
Brainwashed people should respect quality music a little more and try to understands it value with a more open mind, even if they don't like to listen to it!