Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Flowering of Swedish death metal

Divus_de_Mortuus

Re: Flowering of Swedish death metal
June 23, 2007, 05:21:59 PM
Good way to look at it Falco, but I must ask, why is Indecent and Obscene considered so far below Like an Everflowing Stream...?

June 23, 2007, 07:35:54 PM
Of the Swedish bands, At the Gates stand out the most to me for "The Red...", alone, which is just superbly crafted.

Dismember and Entombed were both strong acts but much different in nature than ATG. Much more rhythmic, particularly Entombed. In my mind, of the 11 songs on "Left Hand Path", three really push the boundaries of death metal and are classics ("Bitter Loss", "Drowned", "Left Hand Path"), three or four others are strong though fairly standard death metal numbers, while the rest are quite mediocre.

"Like An Everlasting Stream" is better crafted and much more focused than LHP, which suffers at times from an abundance of kick-ass riffs that really go no where and don't flow together to form a statement. The riff and song craft on LAES is excellent, though in a much more metal, less classical way than At the Gate's best is. The integration of melody is great, a great example being the break in towards the beginning of the title track, which is later repeated in part in the solo. More importantly, the way that the guitar parts, especially the melodic parts, are tied to the lyrics and respond and interact makes for a very direct but fluid flow of music and images.  Reminds me of Slayer, how an explosive/chaotic guitar solo is linked to a particaular point of interest in the narrative, like a statement on the world around it.

LAES and prime Entombed both share this artisan-like craft with regards to words and musical language and how they are intertwined. Very simple, but direct and effective language wrapped around musical content in blunt statements on the nature of death and life "An So Is Life", "But Life Goes On".

June 26, 2007, 02:32:31 AM
Of all the early Swed DM, Therion sounded the most serious about their art to me.

I agree. Even their transition album, "Symphony Masses" is about as good, or just a hair below anything put out by the rest of the Swedes.

June 27, 2007, 01:00:10 AM
Good way to look at it Falco, but I must ask, why is Indecent and Obscene considered so far below Like an Everflowing Stream...?

How can you ask this? One album is pure beauty, the next a random collection of violent songs!

June 27, 2007, 04:50:01 AM
Also Black Metal, if you get over the lo-fi production, is more accesible than many Death Metal bands style of music (NYDM, Finnish style).

The rest of your post was insightful, but the first Darkthrone (BM) and Burzum releases were definitely an acquired taste for death metal fans back then. Only when "in the nightshade eclipse" was released was black metal taken seriously as a whole, before that it was scoffed by most death metal listeners (at least the ones that I knew) as being "noise about satan" and "music made by people who can't play music"

July 01, 2007, 01:51:37 PM
I think a lot of its acceptance had to do with the murders and church burning in Norway.

Since 99% of humanity are technology-enabled peasants, murder and church-burning is probably a good idea.

July 06, 2007, 08:02:17 AM
I think a lot of its acceptance had to do with the murders and church burning in Norway.

Not really, this only got people into metal who before that weren't interested in metal.

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is that black metal already existed outside of Norway without the church-burnings. And a lot of the people who listened to bands like Blasphemy and Beherit were not happy with the "neo-fascist" aspects of the Norwegians. This was partially because most of them also listened to bands like Napalm Death and Carcass and had very leftist ideas about society.

Wolfbane

July 07, 2007, 12:08:59 AM
At the Gates, Entombed, and Grave both had more than one good album.  Unleashed released one good and one passable and a lot of mediocre ones. I really think Entombed were the best of the lot of that scene. They worked the rock n roll nicely into their first two with superior songwriting plus they created the sound so extra points for that. I'm really not anti-rock as long as it's done with class like Entombed.

July 10, 2007, 12:55:35 PM

Not really, this only got people into metal who before that weren't interested in metal.

Something that shouldn't be overlooked is that black metal already existed outside of Norway without the church-burnings. And a lot of the people who listened to bands like Blasphemy and Beherit were not happy with the "neo-fascist" aspects of the Norwegians. This was partially because most of them also listened to bands like Napalm Death and Carcass and had very leftist ideas about society.

I think it's a good thing to get people into metal who weren't previously interested in metal. They like the ideas of the Norwegian black metal movement, so bring them on in. They have a lot to learn, but it's better than circulating among dumbasses who have nothing to say except they "like the music" between bong hits.

Black metal outside Norway didn't even compare in quality or degree of articulation, I'm sorry to say. Even standouts like Havohej and Varathron were years behind.

July 14, 2007, 07:56:27 AM
At the Gates, Entombed, and Grave both had more than one good album.  Unleashed released one good and one passable and a lot of mediocre ones. I really think Entombed were the best of the lot of that scene. They worked the rock n roll nicely into their first two with superior songwriting plus they created the sound so extra points for that. I'm really not anti-rock as long as it's done with class like Entombed.

I would take the first three from Therion over any three from the other Swedish bands.

July 18, 2007, 11:55:36 PM
I would take the first three from Therion over any three from the other Swedish bands.

Yeah, but a lot of those bands didn't produce three of any note.

Like Dismember... Like an Ever-Flowing Stream was their shot, and then nothing. Carnage's Dark Recollections is a nice hybrid between that and Unleashed.

Unleashed Where No Life Dwells is mindblowing, but simple, and a lot like their second album.

At the Gates The Red in the Sky is Ours and Gardens of Grief are amazing. Yet the rest is not much inspiring.

Seance put out the oddly titled Saltrubbed Eyes, but that's great.

Entombed... why not just listen to Motorhead?