Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Death Metal and Black Metal Wiki

July 07, 2007, 02:45:29 PM

We all know that wikipedophile has its issues, so let's see if the underground metal "community" (?) can do better.

Re: Death Metal and Black Metal Wiki
July 08, 2007, 02:04:46 AM
This a stupid and bad idea. Don't do it.

Most people are so afraid of social censure they'd take this seriously.

July 08, 2007, 09:05:24 AM
This isn't an inherently bad idea, actually from the looks of the Amorphis page the information seems to cover other areas than what's talked about in the DLA or even here, so it's not redundant and it could be better to have to go there rather than Metal For Dummies or somewhere else when making a quick search for factual (?!) information on a band.

July 08, 2007, 06:54:38 PM
Please note that all contributions to Heavy Metal and Death Metal and Black Metal Wiki may be edited, altered, or removed by other contributors.

Even though this goes without saying it would have went better without saying.

If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly, then don't submit it here.

Ok, I won't. Not if you make it seem like I'm sticking my head in a guillotine. Are you looking for people who are willing to bend over and "take one for the greater good" or are you looking for strong minded people who are willing to make a contribution? Also: if anyone can edit, alter and remove articles how will this work? Will this be debated or does "might make right"?

I am not familiar with how wikipedio works [and proud of it] so please explain this to me (or direct me towards some info-page)

July 08, 2007, 06:57:28 PM

Even though this goes without saying it would have went better without saying.

Ok, I won't. Not if you make it seem like I'm sticking my head in a guillotine. Are you looking for people who are willing to bend over and "take one for the greater good" or are you looking for strong minded people who are willing to make a contribution? Also: if anyone can edit, alter and remove articles how will this work? Will this be debated or does "might make right"?

I am not familiar with how wikipedio works [and proud of it] so please explain this to me (or direct me towards some info-page)

All those disclaimers are inherent to MediaWiki, not written by us.  There are links to information on the main page.

July 08, 2007, 06:58:02 PM
Another thing: I hope it will be a serious wiki and that it won't contain any jokes. No jokes, not even one please. No funny Cradle of Filth or Pantera pages. No funny "trolling" crap, none of that, it only attracts morons and lowers the standard.

Other than that I think it's a good idea.

K

July 08, 2007, 07:12:18 PM
is this just going to be a basic discography/bio info page like encylcopedia metalium or is it going to have articles on ideology, relevancy, impact etc.? (p.s. thx to admins for adding spell check)

July 08, 2007, 07:44:43 PM
is this just going to be a basic discography/bio info page like encylcopedia metalium or is it going to have articles on ideology, relevancy, impact etc.? (p.s. thx to admins for adding spell check)

There will be plenty of "subjective" information to go along with the history and other info - see the example AMORPHIS page, which only discusses their relevant albums. †Wikipedi-a sucks because it treats all information as equally important, which we will definitely not be doing here.

GS

July 08, 2007, 08:07:16 PM
I too am hoping this progresses past what is now in the Amorphis entry. A more extensive use and gathering together of source material (zine interviews, youtube vids like the insightful Slayer-Bach interview etc) would better serve the goals of this site in demonstrating the origins of the genre and how ideas were best applied before being discarded. Itís also much more convincing than repeating what's already in the DLA. I'm not knocking it in theory, but at the moment this looks like Anus for Dummies.

July 08, 2007, 08:22:31 PM
I'm not knocking it in theory, but at the moment this looks like Anus for Dummies.

Then get busy! †;)

For the record, what is currently there is obviously only a rough outline.  For everyone wondering about the content, you have the opportunity to create some; that is why it is there.

GS

July 08, 2007, 08:40:03 PM
This was implicit in my reply, but as I'm not in possession of a vast wealth of said materials, I hope that those who are will make good use of it.

And whoever is entrepeneuring enough to start the Hellhammer and Celtic Frost entries: please see what was copied from Tom Fischer's autobiography into this forum re: Venom. The book is out of print but further indexing and referencing can be done through Amazon's search filter:

http://www.amazon.com/Are-You-Morbid-Gabriel-Fischer/dp/1860743102/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5876587-4314403?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183937189&sr=8-1

:)

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 08, 2007, 09:19:13 PM
Really now, what are the advantages of this site beyond existing sites like wikipedo and metal-arkikes? Just go edit the band pages there...

July 08, 2007, 09:26:04 PM
Really now, what are the advantages of this site beyond existing sites like wikipedo and metal-arkikes? Just go edit the band pages there...

We have the chance to put together a reference for important things, not just gathering information under the pretense that all information is qualitatively the same, as is their goal. †Obviously, any page edited there will be revereted back to instantly; we aren't any obligation here to give credit to shit albums, "objectivity," or useless bands.

July 08, 2007, 09:52:28 PM
Really now, what are the advantages of this site beyond existing sites like wikipedo and metal-arkikes?

1. Better than wikipedo: they aren't metallers. They have an outsider perspective, but don't take the music seriously as art, and try to turn it into the same old mainstream slop.

2. Better than metalar-chives: as kontinual notes, they treat all metal as equal and thus are useless for those wanting to actually learn the genre.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 08, 2007, 09:52:49 PM
Most of the users here are basically smarter than typical metal listeners, but I doubt for an instant everyone here agrees what is good and what isn't. There are albums you like that prozak hates, albums that Cynical the editor of the neo-classical section hates that prozak loves, albums that Falco hates that snoop likes and so on. Who decideds what stays and what goes? Anus staff? You guys already have the DLA and this forum.

What is the point of that wiki if it is just to mirror this forum and this website. Is it just a toy for us to play with?