Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Mangia(food)

Mangia(food)
July 10, 2007, 03:47:10 PM
I cannot help but have a light discussion about food! Being italian, we enjoy and take pride in our food.

Enjoying food is not only a time to gather strength for another day, but a time for reflection. I like to dispel what others think is italian( more then pizza and pasta, mind you) but an art all in itself. Slow cooked food that brings its attention to the flavors of earth, without adding spices within spices. For example, the romaine lettuce used for a caesar salad, uses the lettuce closest to where it grows. Thus, this is the taste of the earth.

So what does all the babble mean? For others, with culture in play, food may just be simple; eat to live.  I for one live to eat, but let it create in me, more then what is to be had. Others here may indeed find this trival, but then that just proves if being here in america, you are indeed maybe , oblivious to the true value of food. Let Mcdonalds and Burger King be warned, serving this outrage excuse for nutrition only fuels my pride in my love for food.

And metal to me, and its truest power, its return to the ancient values in which our ancestors passed down to us, reminds me that all that I do, all that I am revolves around that food is to be valued just the same as the other values that become known to me through metal.

Re: Mangia(food)
July 10, 2007, 03:49:49 PM
Oddly, some of the bands I've seen on tour go crazy for Italian food of quality. Immolation, Deicide, Incantation and Gorguts come to mind.

July 10, 2007, 03:56:12 PM
Very interesting indeed! Italian food does give you day to day strength, if eaten proper that is. And as we know, these bands do have to be up to par, to perform at their peak. Snack foods will NOT do this for you!  ;D

July 10, 2007, 10:27:09 PM
You are, what you eat. Praise national cuisine and death to multicultural food, ala Mcdonalds, ect. The first step to a healthy lifestyle.

K

July 11, 2007, 03:03:43 PM
I never cared for Italian food, but I do understand what you mean by earthiness. I think that taste in food is very dependent on your location. I live in a predominantly Asian neighborhood, and as result I eat a lot of Vietnamese, Korean, and Indian food, using mostly locally made ingredients (for both when I eat out, very rare, and when I cook for myself and my cohabitants).

Let Mcdonalds and Burger King be warned, serving this outrage excuse for nutrition only fuels my pride in my love for food.
I saw a commercial where Mc Donalds claims that their chicken is good for young children. The real problem is with this statement is first of all, their chicken is 60% fish, I looked this up about 4 or 5 years ago, so the percent might have changed. Second, fried food is never good. Look at Texas, lots of fried food gets eaten there, and Minnesota, where they fry cheesecake. Absurd.

I come from a central/eastern European background where exactly I do not know, so I am teaching myself cooking methods of Hungary and Romania, (found a recipe for fired brains from Romania). I find I have almost a genetic familiarity to Sour Kraut and Soup dumplings. Perhaps I'm on the right track.

July 11, 2007, 03:47:28 PM
Glad to see others reply here with intelligent thoughts.  Exploring ones familiarity with food from their background is certainly a right step toward the right direction.

Im going to go out the bounds and give a recipe in where the less is more; for a genuine taste of Italy-

Pasta Sugo:

Fry a half or whole white onion with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Brown. (the more you brown the richer the taste) Add a half a cup of more of white wine. Simmer for 15-20 mins. Then add crushed tomatoes or classically San Marazano tomatoes. Let the tomatoes reduce while adding more salt, pepper, and fresh basil to the end!

This isnt you typical Italian American goatfuck recipe. True classic Italian!

July 11, 2007, 07:57:45 PM
multicultural food, ala Mcdonalds, ect.

I laughed like a young girl, delighted, at this mention.

It's so fuckin' true it cannot be said any better!

July 12, 2007, 05:24:47 AM
You are, what you eat. Praise national cuisine and death to multicultural food, ala Mcdonalds, ect. The first step to a healthy lifestyle.

What if just plain dislike my national cuisine and prefer asian? I'm not entirely sure if you're being ironic or not, but I think this is taking nationalism just a bit too far.

July 12, 2007, 07:16:25 AM
I saw a commercial where Mc Donalds claims that their chicken is good for young children. The real problem is with this statement is first of all, their chicken is 60% fish, I looked this up about 4 or 5 years ago, so the percent might have changed. Second, fried food is never good. Look at Texas, lots of fried food gets eaten there, and Minnesota, where they fry cheesecake. Absurd.

I was told by a friend in the food-science field that McDonalds is nowhere near as unhealthy as the media would have you believe, and actually has all the nutrients you'd need from a full meal. Keep eating it daily though, and you're in for trouble. I'm not sticking up for McD's here, I hate the shit and have not eaten it for at least 3 years now, but just throwing it out there.

Being from South Asia, I revel in the vast variety of unique food that my country is host to (and find it amusing how foreign tourists simply cannot palate it - way too spicey, too sweet, too heavy, etc.). Truly, it makes one proud of their country, and reminds me of metal in how important it is that it should be made utilizing indegenous ideas, methods and ingredients, and not a Xerox of western ideas.

July 12, 2007, 05:12:23 PM
I am the type of person that really only eats to survive, and while that allows me the willpower to eat healthier than the average American slob, I could also see how it would promote an unhealthy snacking habit (which it has).  I might start taking food more seriously because I can definitely see the benefits that it might have to health and just lifestyle overall.  I'd imagine that if someone really had a passion for food they'd be willing to wait for only the highest quality and savor it once they start eating opposed to just inhaling it as fast as they can bring the fork to their face.  While my habits have always been to grab what is fast and reasonably healthy; maybe I'm missing out on a respectable artform.  Thanks for this thread, its the most interesting and unique one I've seen on here in a while.

July 12, 2007, 06:17:24 PM
Enjoy Hessian music - Black Metal, Death Metal, Ambient, Neoclassical, Neofolk and Classical

Turn off the TV and pick up a book - switch on your mind

Engage in debate - stimulate the mind

Engage in manual labor - stimulate the body
Find others that agree with you - work as a team, individual voices in a sea of noise will not be heard

Forget Individualism - you look exactly like everyone else. Transcend fashion by ignoring it

Uniqueness and greatness are not born from laziness - Great people act upon their dreams

Live in Harmony with Nature - Reject modern society and transcend materialism

These values that outline what a hessian should be in his own journey, is exactly what I live by day by day. By eating good food, earthy food, homemade food; we fulfill one part of the whole.

And on another note, I found it truly amazing how I have had these values(or started) by I even let my ears hear metal.

July 13, 2007, 02:04:51 AM

What if just plain dislike my national cuisine and prefer asian? I'm not entirely sure if you're being ironic or not, but I think this is taking nationalism just a bit too far.

Well then, we'll just have to cut you up, process you into a meat patty and serve you to a hundred obese Americans. It must be done.

July 13, 2007, 09:55:13 PM
Enjoy Hessian music - Black Metal, Death Metal, Ambient, Neoclassical, Neofolk and Classical

Turn off the TV and pick up a book - switch on your mind

Engage in debate - stimulate the mind

Engage in manual labor - stimulate the body
Find others that agree with you - work as a team, individual voices in a sea of noise will not be heard

Forget Individualism - you look exactly like everyone else. Transcend fashion by ignoring it

Uniqueness and greatness are not born from laziness - Great people act upon their dreams

Live in Harmony with Nature - Reject modern society and transcend materialism

These values that outline what a hessian should be in his own journey, is exactly what I live by day by day. By eating good food, earthy food, homemade food; we fulfill one part of the whole.

And on another note, I found it truly amazing how I have had these values(or started) by I even let my ears hear metal.

This is interesting, since if "intelligent" people were to follow this we would be creating our own trend wouldn't we? I wear brand clothing but not for the fashion, for the quality itself which they promise. Ofcourse i have purchased my fair share of Deicide, Immolation, Vader, Gorguts, Nile and Morbid Angel material (as well as others) but that's living a fashion of it's own isn't it? Suddenly, people who aren't smart or truly Hessian will comprehend what intelligence and appreciation of art is could indulge in that same lifestyle. Then we would just be another movement in an ocean of changing trends.

July 13, 2007, 09:59:13 PM

I am what i believe really, that would be the appropiate phrasing for your point. Now, why do i see alot of Hessians at Wendys, Burger and McDonalds? I absolutely agree with your point, but shouldn't such messages be conveyed to the masses of hessians first? This is what i believe, is the first true step to a healthy lifestyle.

July 14, 2007, 07:44:11 AM
I never cared for Italian food, but I do understand what you mean by earthiness. I think that taste in food is very dependent on your location. I live in a predominantly Asian neighborhood, and as result I eat a lot of Vietnamese, Korean, and Indian food, using mostly locally made ingredients (for both when I eat out, very rare, and when I cook for myself and my cohabitants).

I come from a central/eastern European background where exactly I do not know, so I am teaching myself cooking methods of Hungary and Romania, (found a recipe for fired brains from Romania). I find I have almost a genetic familiarity to Sour Kraut and Soup dumplings. Perhaps I'm on the right track.

It is funny that I stumble across this thread as I am currently in Munich, and their food here is, in a word: Fattening.

Yet, when you look around, the locals are, for the most part, in great shape. The women here are amazingly beautiful and fit.

I think there is more to being healthy then just eating healthy foods. If you are constantly active, and exercise, you can for the most part eat what you want. Of course, in reasonable proportions.