Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Young adults - solipsists?

Re: Young adults - solipsists?
August 23, 2007, 02:24:15 PM
Not to be a jackass, but don't you think it considerably misrepresents the function of conversational speech (written or spoken) to view it as being about exchanging information and then judging those speech patterns on their 'efficiency' in transmitting information?

I mean, in an absolute sense, is 'LOL' really any more nonsensical than two old men discussing the weather when it is plain for both to see (and feel)?  Social idiom has never for any group been about exchanging information, but about reaffirming relationships.

Grow up.

August 23, 2007, 03:11:49 PM
To my perspective internet communication replacing interpersonal, real-time engagement is absurd. It can only lead to more failings and patterning of lifestyle.

"more efficient" only because interaction becomes much easier for people, but less rewarding and enjoyable. The incessant internet slang bickering is no replacement for living, and it is slowly becoming that with many.

August 23, 2007, 03:18:33 PM
Not to be a jackass, but don't you think it considerably misrepresents the function of conversational speech (written or spoken) to view it as being about exchanging information and then judging those speech patterns on their 'efficiency' in transmitting information?

If it were confined to "conversational speech," then yes I agree with you, but that completely misses the point of the discussion.  The issue here is how pseudo-conversational speech has bled into other venues, and how it's apparently more appropriate to use informal, obtuse modes of communication in places that aren't called My Space or Facebook.  

The two old men you referred to discuss the weather because they have very little to say, but undoubtedly posess a vast amount of experience.  To be a young person with almost no experience, interacting purely in vagueries, and expressing nothing but one's uninformed, unqualified opinion is something else entirely.  To say that a young person who's shut out all outside influence in favor of his own self-interest - using a middling social idiom in place of actual communication - is anything but deficient, is ludicrous.  

August 25, 2007, 11:04:43 AM
Let's not get academic.

We could use any speech tokens we want to communicate. True.

However, we've already got an established library, and in that library, we avoid some speech because it's dumber.

LOL is from the moron caste. And has nothing to do with this thread, so please take your grammar flames elsewhere (and False Profit, please take your Marxist academic analyses of grammar elsewhere).

August 26, 2007, 10:36:13 PM
"Evil is whatever distracts." - Franz Kafka

On Faceshit, the user creates his own persona. So what you see is a distraction. The whole Myspace idea is a big distraction (a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention to something else).

That "something else" being the repulsive truth (sodomy, aids, death... all those beautiful things).

I experienced it myself. I once I met I girl, saw her couple of times, got her email, so we began to chat a lot. We though we would fit well together, big mistake, I'm lucky it didn't we too far. Communication via MSN gave me a false idea of who she was.

Communication via Myspurt, Faceshit and MSN is distractive and helps solipsist thinking. It's a game of hide who you really are and fuck yourself.

"It's an overactive imagination that enslaves your empty shell" - Death

K

August 26, 2007, 10:56:19 PM
I think what dead lizard was getting at was that the use of language the youngens are using is going to end up limiting their ability to communicate, bot sending and receiving, and bfb provided an example for me
Social idiom has never for any group been about exchanging information, but about reaffirming relationships.
and was thus interpreted by bfb to be Marxist. 'howdy' and small talk are now signs of workers taking over the factories?

August 27, 2007, 08:00:20 AM
Communication via Myspurt, Faceshit and MSN is distractive and helps solipsist thinking. It's a game of hide who you really are and fuck yourself.

No not inherently, but most definitely to some.

I have seen and participated in these sites in a productive manner. And of course done a lot of "fucking around" on them. But we all need our down time, I have no problem with that as long as it isn't substantial. I also enjoy belittling the morons on these sites as much as anyone else does. It's fun and a great way to waste a quarter of an hour.

My life isn't so deadly serious that I need to fill in every second of my time with something productive - that's all. I know how to have a laugh when the time comes. When Nietzsche said that his 'higher men' needed to learn how to laugh and dance he probably was not thinking of mySpace, but within his simple aphorism lies a simple truth and an excellent attitude that seems foreign to those who seemingly possess intelligence. Life isn't some grey entity.  

August 27, 2007, 05:16:11 PM
I agree

August 30, 2007, 12:15:46 PM
I see these tendencies in previous generations, starting with babyboomers, but they seem to get worse and worse as time goes on and the bonds of culture/family become thinner and thinner and the bonds to technology become stronger.  

1. Sex/masturbation
2. Eating/drugs
3. Video games/movies/music
4. Lying to self about future
5. IM, chat, forums
6. Pretending they're unique

Teens have lusted over these things for ages but technology empowers us with more drugs, entertainment, tools for arranging shallow sexual encounters, ect. When kids are raised with culture and healthy values, they can recongnize trash for what it is, even from a young age. When they are raised with trashy values, trash becomes a way of life.

it's true that kids raised with these values they do, in fact, become infected with the habit of wanting and doing these things. However, there are still influences that are in their lifes that could override the influences of their upbringing. It's just that almost all of them tend to ignore, or just plain out refuse to recognize these influences. Granted there are also many who just can't recognize them, but there are plenty that can. I do, however, say these things not knowing anyone but myself, possibly one other, that rose above all the crap and focused on my future and peoples future as a whole. I did all of that knowing that it is what I should of done, putting more into life than I'd get back. For most, though, it is less than desirable to work for something that does not pleasure them and have immediate benifits, or makes them feel like they have a place. Anyway, it's comes down to a personal choice to go your own way or to do what is excepted, the latter seems to come natural for most, without any thought, they were born with that choice made (by fate if nothing else).

August 30, 2007, 03:29:23 PM
Young adults solipsists? Hmm, I disagree with it, since in order for them to be solipsist they should be aware in a first time of their own existence and then come with the idea that they are the only one around and the rest is merely an invention of their mind.
No, young adults, (and most people), are merely egocentric, people got a tendency to feel they are unique, when they are not.
That would be the difference I believe. egocentrism rather than solipsism.

The belief of being unique and 'better', quite amusing in my opinion. At the end of the day, those young people in msn, chatrooms, social places, etc, feel quite comfortable with themselves believing they are 'cool' or smart. They satisfied with the way their lives are. Maybe because they cannot see beyond their own life. They don't try to understand their environment, (their surrounding).
They are too busy following trends, buying i-pods, video games, dvds, clothes, food, accessories, etc.
They are too busy following a path imposed by our modern society in which we are just making the rich richer and nothing else.