Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal is 100% derived from classical

Re: Metal is 100% derived from classical
December 02, 2007, 07:08:18 PM
The 'open minded' got that way by letting their brains fall out (or, more frequently, by not being born with any to begin with).  Some things are obvious enough to be axiomatic, and need no further discussion, debate or 'evidence' to affirm their truth-value.

But, for the sake of argument, ask yourself the following things:

1. How have video games made the world a better place?

2. What meaningful insight into the world can we gain from playing video games?

3. How have video games shaped human thought and culture in positive ways?

4. In what ways are video games able to fill the same social and cultural functions as a symphony, a mural or a great novel?

5. Is there any connection between World of Warcraft and endemic childhood obesity?

The truth is out there, and the truth is that video games exist to:

A.) consume idle time

and

B.) make shitloads of money without requiring shitloads of work

December 02, 2007, 07:15:34 PM
The 'open minded' got that way by letting their brains fall out (or, more frequently, by not being born with any to begin with).  Some things are obvious enough to be axiomatic, and need no further discussion, debate or 'evidence' to affirm their truth-value.

It should be obvious then to say that god exists therefore we shouldn't question ourselves.
What it is obvious? Games aren't art? Just because you don't like some of them? I don't like pop music, but I still consider music as art. Seems to me is a good example. And open minded means to me being able to see beyond your own ego. maybe you'll eventually realize you are the one that should go listen Reload. I bet you even own the album, heh.

I stated about the paradox of using technology (video games) as a medium to show how important nature is. Which actually worked (at least in Japan)
Don't forget video games are quite a new artistic medium that haven't been fully developed yet.
Maybe, if you would be as intelligent as you say, you would take the time to analyze what it's been said about and what it is about rather than getting rushed up conclusions.
A great novel you said? how many books are worthless? And how many classical pieces are simply meaningless? So basically what you are saying is book = always art, classical music = always art?.  And everything after that is simply dog's piss, no? If most people thinks like you, the new artistic mediums that got a lot of potential will turn more and more into money making machines.

And concerning the 'shitloads' of work... I invite you to come see me working one day, when, while you are working a 40 hours shift I'll be doing 80. Just to finish my 'artistic' work. It requires a lot of work, and a lot of technical and artistic knowledge (Architecture, physics, mathematics, anatomy, litterature, etc) to come up with good games.

December 02, 2007, 08:24:18 PM

It should be obvious then to say that god exists therefore we shouldn't question ourselves.
What it is obvious? Games aren't art? Just because you don't like some of them? I don't like pop music, but I still consider music as art. Seems to me is a good example. And open minded means to me being able to see beyond your own ego. maybe you'll eventually realize you are the one that should go listen Reload. I bet you even own the album, heh.

I stated about the paradox of using technology (video games) as a medium to show how important nature is. Which actually worked (at least in Japan)
Don't forget video games are quite a new artistic medium that haven't been fully developed yet.
Maybe, if you would be as intelligent as you say, you would take the time to analyze what it's been said about and what it is about rather than getting rushed up conclusions.
A great novel you said? how many books are worthless? And how many classical pieces are simply meaningless? So basically what you are saying is book = always art, classical music = always art?.  And everything after that is simply dog's piss, no? If most people thinks like you, the new artistic mediums that got a lot of potential will turn more and more into money making machines.

And concerning the 'shitloads' of work... I invite you to come see me working one day, when, while you are working a 40 hours shift I'll be doing 80. Just to finish my 'artistic' work. It requires a lot of work, and a lot of technical and artistic knowledge (Architecture, physics, mathematics, anatomy, litterature, etc) to come up with good games.

English translation:

The truth is a threat to my ego and livelihood, therefore, video games are art.

December 02, 2007, 08:36:25 PM
Some video games can be considered as art. It is simply a different medium, that's all.
I find it funny how every time you aren't right you must attack the person. Can you debate like an adult?

I invite you to do a search about people Tetsuya Mizuguchi or Yasuhiro Wada.

It's ironic how we fight for metal to be considered art but we do not take the time to see what other mediums are art as well. Actually it's very sad than more than half this forum thinks this way.

December 02, 2007, 08:52:06 PM
Nips suck at art.  Their little slanty eyes can't see the world for what it is.  That's why their traditional portraiture makes every man look like a scowling horse with disembodied eyebrows.

On an serious note, no, video games are still not art.

December 02, 2007, 11:42:37 PM
http://game.unimore.it/Papers/Guenzel_Paper.pdf
http://www.gameology.org/cfps/the_philosophy_of_computer_games_confere
http://gamasutra.com/features/20070316/ochalla_01.shtml

Take your time to read these articles, specially the last one, which explains my point of view in a much better way.
Oh, and by the way, the joke about 'nips' was hilarious. But they know what art is. Not because they produce manga and animation we should ignore them as artists.

December 03, 2007, 12:19:15 AM
Hey look, nerds trying to find significance in their nerd hobbies!  What a shocker!

Raise_the_Dead

December 03, 2007, 02:47:57 AM
I'm sure games could be art.  The best games I've played seem to aspire toward it, as well as aspiring toward being more like a real life experience.  But this begs the question - why not make your life into a work of art, instead of playing through someone else's pre-made simulation?  Living life is funner (and more challenging) than playing games.

December 03, 2007, 03:12:08 AM
J.R.R.Tolkien created a world of fantasy.
Games allow you to enter into a fantasy world as well...
I won't include every single game in here since approximately 80% of games are simply for entertainment, but can we really exclude the 20% that is worth?
Of course living life is much better, but there's some situations that cannot be lived in other way than video games.

And FalseProfit, how can you call yourself an intelligent human being if you are unable to take the time to read some interesting articles. No one is asking you to change your mind about the topic, that's irrelevant to the situation. But act accordingly to your 'supposedly' high IQ.  Maybe then, we will be able to hold a conversation.

December 03, 2007, 03:12:59 AM
Hey look, nerds trying to find significance in their nerd hobbies!  What a shocker!

Aren't we trying to find a significance to metal when maybe there's none?

Raise_the_Dead

December 03, 2007, 03:22:03 AM
Of course living life is much better, but there's some situations that cannot be lived in other way than video games.

Like what?

AttheGates1996

December 06, 2007, 12:11:37 AM
Earlier today I was watching a documentary on the rise of the video game. When violence first began to occur in the making of games, then they were directly compared to the rebellious nature of rock n roll and heavy metal music at the time.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Even though video games are now redundant and the same crap over and over again, perhaps they had more of an impact then what is now thought.

December 06, 2007, 06:18:24 PM
By the time The False Profit wrote his silly arguments in this thread most people would have gained another level in World of Warcraft.

Moral: Those who try to look better by avoiding something often look silly in doing so when they waste just as much time.

December 06, 2007, 08:09:54 PM
What do video games add to your life?

What does TV add to your life?

A way to pass the time. That's not constructive, creative or individualistic, at all. It reeks of slave mentality.

Now you idiots have wrecked this thread by yammering on about your addictions, because you're afraid to admit you're addicted to something stupid.

Losers.

I would like to talk about metal's relation to classical specifically how prog rock birthed metal. Thank you!