Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

How Was Technical Death Metal Created?

Re: How Was Technical Death Metal Created?
March 07, 2008, 10:30:20 AM

Now that it has become a sub-genre, it's boring as hell, because like Christian metal bands, they are bonded first by an ideology and second by a desire to make interesting music.

Gorgoroth, Deicide, Burzum, Cynic... Are all musicians bounded by their respective ideologies...Definately not, Necrophagist for example, are inspired simply to write music, the perspective of its fellow musicians is what creates the product.

March 07, 2008, 11:12:35 AM
While you would have to be technically proficient to perform None so Vile well it isn't really a very difficult album to perform. I haven't heard later Cryptopsy but Ive heard of them being much more as technical endeavors (to the level of wankery).

Their later material is probably some of the more technical stuff out there. Some of it is rather interesting and still contains the rabidness and rage that was entrapped within None So Vile, but the dexterity completely ruins it.

March 07, 2008, 11:16:35 AM
Anata are, in my opinion, the best technical death metal band in the world currently.  And simply one of the most talented bands I've ever heard.  They completely crush anything by spawn of possession, psycroptic, or whatever else passes as technical dm these days.

Clearly you haven't heard negativa.

March 07, 2008, 10:24:12 PM
Necrophagist for example, are inspired simply to write music, the perspective of its fellow musicians is what creates the product.

So it's basically people talking about themselves and their own egos? They can't think of anything more interesting, more real? Sucks to be them.

Necrophagist is the kind of metal band that makes jazz musicians laugh at metal. Undoubtedly talented; undoubtedly proficient; without ideas, and without any real feeling-intellect link to base them upon. Consequently, transient.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

March 09, 2008, 02:56:10 PM

So it's basically people talking about themselves and their own egos? They can't think of anything more interesting, more real? Sucks to be them.

Necrophagist is the kind of metal band that makes jazz musicians laugh at metal. Undoubtedly talented; undoubtedly proficient; without ideas, and without any real feeling-intellect link to base them upon. Consequently, transient.

I haven't heard much but what i heard was pretty much fast, emotionless and useless.
Well jazz musicians without doubt laugh at Black Metal as well for its lack of sanity and clarity. Most people who have heard it have said that it was just some noise.

March 10, 2008, 12:11:20 AM
Well jazz musicians without doubt laugh at Black Metal as well for its lack of sanity and clarity. Most people who have heard it have said that it was just some noise.

thats why i prefer to hear my jazz with instruments, not some yokel saying "yeah baby, everythings jive man, gonna be alllllriiiight".

screw vocals in jazz. seriously. i wanna hear the instruments (in particular those bass lines).
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

March 15, 2008, 10:49:10 AM
Jazz is fascinating until you find out that it is very simple, and then the illusion falls apart. Like most modern illusions.

Technical death metal was an attempt for good bands to distinguish themselves from the horde. Now we know that idiots can learn to play guitar quickly too.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

March 15, 2008, 03:07:54 PM
Those bands try to distinguish themselves from other bands musically since it is impossible for them to distinguish themselves lyrically.
In a nutshell, egocentric idiots.
The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit.

March 15, 2008, 06:58:47 PM
Those bands try to distinguish themselves from other bands musically since it is impossible for them to distinguish themselves lyrically.

Do you mean that it's impossible to do music "differently," and that it's just a matter of quality, and that lyrics are essential to give a song meaning, or something else?

I am lost here, plz help.
ASBO

March 16, 2008, 12:57:07 PM
Jazz is fascinating until you find out that it is very simple, and then the illusion falls apart. Like most modern illusions.

there is beauty in simplicity. and i have not had the "illusion" fall apart on me, and i dont think it will.

there is always room in my playlist for jazz.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

March 17, 2008, 12:57:22 AM

there is beauty in simplicity. and i have not had the "illusion" fall apart on me, and i dont think it will.

there is always room in my playlist for jazz.

Ive heard a variety of classical pieces changed to become jazz, yet the music has all the embellishments and complexities it had as classical music. It mostly involves adding swing, changing chords to involve more 7ths and diminished notes and from time to time adding jazz techniques on instruments. Do this and classical becomes jazz.

This should show that jazz isn't an inherently faulty genre. Its capable of music as complex as anything classical can create (since it does not require much effort for many to change one genre to the other). I see little wrong with having jazz in ones playlist, I would simply be very selective of the jazz I included. After all its the will of the composer that shapes music, not the genre it is composed in. To bad the genre is largely pop music from a bygone era.

March 17, 2008, 11:52:16 PM

Ive heard a variety of classical pieces changed to become jazz, yet the music has all the embellishments and complexities it had as classical music. It mostly involves adding swing, changing chords to involve more 7ths and diminished notes and from time to time adding jazz techniques on instruments. Do this and classical becomes jazz.

This should show that jazz isn't an inherently faulty genre. Its capable of music as complex as anything classical can create (since it does not require much effort for many to change one genre to the other). I see little wrong with having jazz in ones playlist, I would simply be very selective of the jazz I included. After all its the will of the composer that shapes music, not the genre it is composed in. To bad the genre is largely pop music from a bygone era.

thats why i stick to instrumental jazz. put in the vocals, and more often than not it becomes sugary pop music.

Davis, Coltrane, some of Winton Marsales' stuff, Victor Wooten (when he is not singing), Jaco Pastorious (without the singing), Zorn, others.
No.

March 21, 2008, 02:08:25 PM

Spare it, i prefer some technical death metal because of the rage performed. Plus, bands like Cynic, Immolation and Deicide have released some technical death metal albums. Some artists find it awesome to be in the midst of the adrenaline.

March 22, 2008, 01:36:35 AM

So jazz is cheap classical for the masses. Sounds like a big long path around just embracing the original.

March 22, 2008, 08:10:59 PM

So jazz is cheap classical for the masses. Sounds like a big long path around just embracing the original.

Jazz in many ways mirrors the history of rock.  Both emerged as a means of commodifying folk music for emerging consumer classes (the urban managerial class of the 1920s and the suburbanites of the 1950s) by tidying up the edges of the feral unknown with the trappings of the most popular music of the immediately preceding era (Early Jazz = Delta Blues + Light Romantic music, Early Rock = Blues & Bluegrass + Pop Standard/Crooner music).  Neither really contributed much on the creative side of the ledger until artists emerged (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman and Cecil Taylor/Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Discharge and Slayer) who were fed up with middle class aspirations and bullshit marketing, and had the creative courage to fundamentally rethink how their music was being put together, allowing them to apply a new (old) syntax to the existing idiom, and in the process create something artistically meaningful where only product had existed before.