Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal as outside society's view

Metal as outside society's view
August 26, 2007, 12:41:41 PM
Ask yourself something: why does metal get so little mention in the media, in fact just about nothing at all?

It's like there's an invisible veil between safe topics and unsafe topics.

We know it's not because metal is small, since the media frequently covers tiny rallies and fairs and protests.

We know it's not because they avoid covering media topics, since they're awash in various bands.

It might be the indie nature of it, since the media doesn't seem to mention ANYTHING that does not benefit either:

a) an advertiser
b) the morbid, prurient, neurotic public interest

But that doesn't really make sense, since they do mention and profile indie and local artists.

Is it because there's something threatening about metal?

Maybe that it doesn't follow the normal, accepted, moral pattern of events?

It is melodic and achromatic and lawless: it does not have the usual harmonic control points of rock music. And it's not rock music. Like Kraftwerk, it sounds like classical. Like punk, it sounds like an alienated roar from hell. And when was the last time the media mentioned punk bands that weren't from LA, and were hardcore, not punk?

I have yet to see the "National Geographic Special on Discharge."

I argue that metal is not acceptable for its views. It is masculine, assertive, and warlike. It does not toe the line of liberalized ideology, which comprises both conservative and liberal parties at this time. It does not use an accepted structure for controllable mainstream music. It does not attempt to distract.

Like Al-Jazeera, it's a war call. And they don't like that. Control is how we make money. Control is how we force other people to be our wives, friends, neighbors. Control is usurped by the independent, holistic-moral warrior.

Re: Metal as outside society's view
August 26, 2007, 06:47:42 PM
This is kind of an interesting thread. Metal is certainly capable of becoming somewhat mainstream. It already was in the late 80's - early 90's.

Nowadays, the "evil" images and ideologies that were accepted back then are not now.

Maybe Metal will become mainstream again. The only good that I can see coming from that is the wide scope of people it will reach, and hopefully find someone who can take Metal to greater heights.

Although I think for most, it is they who seek this music, and normally not the other way around.

August 26, 2007, 07:46:46 PM
To put it quite simply, I thought people on this site don't want metal to become mainstream, and metal fans in general dislike it from being so, and ditch bands the moment they do so. Are we now supposed to try and make all metal as mainstream as possible?

K

August 26, 2007, 08:07:15 PM
no, we are supposed to kill out and breed out all the mainstream people untill only the undergound remains. not realy. The way I understand it is that even if there is a section oif mainstream metal, the bulk of it will never be so simply because of the level of operation. Mainstream music and metal operate different. Metal is more focused on albums or eps as a whole, where mainstream just tries to perfect a soundbyte. Metal is not mainstream because the artists choose not to be. It also doesnt help that there are legions of stupid drunk pantera fans showing the world what its like to be a head banger.

August 26, 2007, 09:06:33 PM
To put it quite simply, I thought people on this site don't want metal to become mainstream, and metal fans in general dislike it from being so, and ditch bands the moment they do so. Are we now supposed to try and make all metal as mainstream as possible?

It will always be esoteric, but it might be nice if the smarter parts of mainstream culture were able to appreciate it.

It's too insular, especially now that it is dying because of people imitating the past in rock/emo form.

August 27, 2007, 01:30:57 AM
Music can be copied but the message can't
The truth behind art is just the message
The main problem nowadays is that music is used as a form of entertainment and not as a form of wisdom
I believe in order to evolve, metal music will have to walk by it's own boundaries and limits, and go further.
Of course, avoiding the music industry as much as possible. After all, only the message matters, the music is merely a vessel that sails the information across the network of life.

1337Dude

August 27, 2007, 08:47:17 AM
Metal isn't mainstream. Why would you want metal mentioned in the media? By making metal mainstream, more bands will start focusing on the aesthetics of metal and will attempt to duplicate it and make money off it - like many black metal bands try to do now. To an average person, metal is considered as "extreme, rowdy, dumb, shallow" and my favorite "just noise".

Nothing good will come out of making metal mainstream. One defining point of metal is that it differs from public opinion.

August 27, 2007, 09:55:53 AM
I disagree. People are angry; most do not realise it, they need something loud and nasty to encourage their wrath. Whether it is mimicked aesthetic or the genuine deal may not matter, what ever we can encourage may serve to get the right people downright mad. And let them figure out why they are even mad in the first place.

August 27, 2007, 12:42:47 PM
In the most superficial way possible, metal is viewed by the mainstream as the exclusive province of angry white males.  Other than an occasional mention in a television newsmagazine - and never taken more seriously than an ultra violent novelty - the mixture of (what is perceived as) many unstable white men and degenerate art make metal an untenable subject for so-called decent people.  

August 27, 2007, 07:37:37 PM
I don't think the original poster was complaining about lack of media recognition.

Anyone who needs such a thing is a co-dependant moron.

I think what the original poster was trying to do was point out that there was a quality inherent to metal which makes it fundamentally alien to the 'mainstream' paradigm. And that this is in fact a positive quality to be nourished and valued.

While I agree with all of that, I fear that there is a threat of the mainstream devising a way to render that quality impotent. In fact, I think it's already happening, and has been for a very long time. Look at the internet culture based around black metal.... all the moronic trollery, the self-mocking humor, the half-witted banter in chat rooms, etc. Already, this music form has been rendered from something once (maybe) threatening to a subject of mockery and hipster irony. Think Black Metal SLSK chat, and Metalocalypse.

The question is whether or not we choose to fight that phenomenon, and if so.... how?

Septicemia

August 27, 2007, 08:00:03 PM
The question is whether or not we choose to fight that phenomenon, and if so.... how?

Gas chambers.

August 27, 2007, 08:41:20 PM
The truth behind art is just the message.

I think the two feed off each other. The message organizes the art, and the art makes the message alive, something we can feel as an experience.

People are angry; most do not realise it, they need something loud and nasty to encourage their wrath.

This strikes me as accurate. People are alienated. They know deep down that this human world is failing and are open to answers, if they can understand them.

The only difference between a smart normal and a metalhead is some hours of listening and understanding, in the same way that smart people can pick up a book by Houllebecq and after a reading or two understand it.

I think what the original poster was trying to do was point out that there was a quality inherent to metal which makes it fundamentally alien to the 'mainstream' paradigm.

This is why the mainstream ignores metal, or tries to write it off as "just rock music that's loud."

I would like to fight the death of our world. I believe in life. In order to do so, I must believe in death.

People need a quality outlet for their alienation, not more swindlers who lie to them. When I was a green, those people lied to me and told me I could change the world by using fluorescent light bulbs. Now I know they were liars who intended to profit from their lies. When I was a Nazi, those people lied to me and told me that ethnic warfare would cure our ills. But they were profiteers of a different kind, getting a kick out of being dissident outsiders.

We need a better way, and the smart people who make up 2-5% of the population will take up the cry. Together we can manipulate the rest of these sheep and get something healthy done.

AttheGates1996

August 31, 2007, 02:11:38 AM
as to why metal is ignored... metal is typically viewed as evil and angry, and narrow-minded people who don't understand the true art behind music don't want to associate themselves with the evils of life because they are insecure with themselves. thats all i have to say about that.

August 31, 2007, 07:53:14 AM
there was a quality inherent to metal which makes it fundamentally alien to the 'mainstream' paradigm.  

Maybe so, but I think the main reason it is ignored by mainstream is because they do not see a difference betwee ac/dc, metallica and slipknot. Remember, whatever's most popular must be the best from that genre, else it wouldn't be as popular. This way of thinking means anything underground is discounted out of hand as amateuristic.

August 31, 2007, 11:05:31 AM
It does not attempt to distract.

Yes, this came to my mind immediately after reading your initial question.  Though I would point out quality metal does not distract, while the worst metal is in fact as distracting as other pop music.  So why no coverage of metal in the media, why don't you hear it on the radio?  To those who are ignorant of music/art, aesthetic is of primary importance: metal sounds angry and evil, like classical music it's purpose can rarely be expressed in 3 minutes - it's a journey.  Pop music is a collection of soothing, comfortable, and easy songs - even in their material self-absorption, they rarely dare to search for answers.  It is enough to feel better (paradoxically by feeling bad as that makes you an individual with complexity and profound issues :D).  If you're looking for distraction, why choose metal?

And yes the purpose of materialism isn't to think, but to feel better by purchasing something, so metal is far less profitable and this automatically limits exposure in modern society.  Metal only reaches the media when it's necessary to reinforce it's evil and angry nature - like when a moron kills himself or goes on a rampage.