Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Starting up a metal band in 2007

shadowmystic

September 01, 2007, 09:08:32 PM
"If you love something let it go
If it comes back to you, it's yours
If it doesn't, it never was"

This is how we should be looking at metal right now.

September 01, 2007, 09:17:00 PM
Is there even any point in playing metal anymore or is metal just a long deceased but celebrated artform? There are a few really good death metal bands in my area, but they're not really reinventing or innovating anything. I'd like to start up a death metal band, I've had a lot of really good riffs in my head lately, but it seems like a waste of time, considering the fact that unless you're really really creative, chances are somebody has thought of that riff first or somebody has created that imagery or that narrative,  aesthetic,  idea or whatever-the-fuck.

Or is a metal band like a science experiment, where, even if your hypothesis is proven wrong, it doesn't make the experiment a failure?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting a Death Metal band.  If it is rewarding to you to create this type of music then there is no reason for you not to do it.  Don't let the posters here discourage you either.  Not to mention; how will you ever know if you are able to create something unprecented if you don't try?  Enjoy the experiment......

September 01, 2007, 09:21:34 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting a Death Metal band.  If it is rewarding to you to create this type of music then there is no reason for you not to do it.  Don't let the posters here discourage you either.  Not to mention; how will you ever know if you are able to create something unprecented if you don't try?  Enjoy the experiment......

Good words of advice, I suppose, it just seems like a kind of self absorbed scenesterism to even try nowadays, much like starting up a hardcore or crust band... haha.

September 01, 2007, 09:24:27 PM

Good words of advice, I suppose, it just seems like a kind of self absorbed scenesterism to even try nowadays, much like starting up a hardcore or crust band... haha.

Well the beauty of Death Metal is that you can take it to new complexities and directions, while keeping within the genre.   This gives rise to different styles that may evoke originality.  Hardcore, grunge and the like are much more limited as the structure and riffs are simple and general.  There still lies beauty to be made within Death Metal my friend!!

September 01, 2007, 09:46:55 PM
"If you love something let it go
If it comes back to you, it's yours
If it doesn't, it never was"

WTF, that's gay.

While it is true that the metal scene is cluttered with useless acts, there is absolutely no reason to polarize towards the opposite end of the spectrum and fear composition.  It is true, that we find ourselves in an interesting predicament, where we are able to reflect on the direction metal ought to take--this, contra to the nature of Art, which comes to fruition in an artist in a seemingly fortuitous manner--but the Idea that inspired the pioneers of the genre has never disappeared. Indeed, it has preceded them since time immemorial.

Thus, one should commit to the goal of creating something wonderful, which should be attainable through study of the classic albums, refinement of technique, and a dedication to the expression of Classical forms. Of this I am most certain: each influential act has unearthed some amazing thread that suggests something much, much greater than they were able to manifest. It is up to some brave contemporaries to piece them all together, and potentially change the world. Truth (with a capital "T") transcends any categorical limitations, and if there emerges an artistic movement entrenched in the unbridled expression thereof, I suspect that such a statement is hardly an outlandish one.

Of importance however, is that metal is rebirthed by a younger populace. There is no need for another Burzum  album, nor a comeback by Demilich. All these gents are in their 30s, and although I wish to refrain from exercising "ageism", I cannot help but conclude that metal is driven by the spirit of youth. Any subsequent works by the aforementioned generation would simply be placeholders. We need fresh blood, those who are able to utilize the advantage of hindsight and objectively eliminate the shortcomings of the 90s scene.

The answer does not lie in pushing the boundaries of "what is possible", which seems to be the obsession of twentysomethings who produce what can only be likened to a premature ejaculation--complete impotence to achieve anything greater than the self. Idol worship is not a solution either. Arrogance, with a moderate amount of self-control, and the comfort of working with various tempos and within a broad array of moods--all of these are necessary as we proceed with our work.

Perhaps, fittingly enough, before metal music is attempted, one must perfect oneself by exercising eugenics with regard to any bad habits. Stay fit, read extensively, and limit or abstain from intoxication of any form. Realize that the availabiltity of information has increased exponentially, and that your words and actions will have repercussions well into the future, and among an unlikely or unintended audience. The underground can no longer exist, nor is that the goal.

Towards a Higher Art!

September 01, 2007, 09:54:52 PM
Your idea was ok, although I don't completely agree with you Anonymous.
What's the point in making a great metal album?
Most angry kids will love it, without seeking further, most wont care about the idea behind it, they'll merely follow the music.
How is this make the difference? I feel this will only make Metal's agony longer than it should be.

Metal should evolve in directions not many will follow, enough of the bonds that tie Metal to the ground of idiocy.
Let the nostalgia behind, and face the uncertain future with new strength.

September 01, 2007, 10:14:30 PM
What's the point in making a great metal album?

This is just silly. It's equivalent to questioning aspiration towards greatness as such.

The main point made above was that work must commence towards the realization of Truth; first of all, within ourselves, and once known, manifested as artistic expressions. The final stage and foremost goal, which has already been stated by every worthwhile contributor to this site and forum, is that such a call mandates a community effort.

shadowmystic

September 01, 2007, 10:28:51 PM
We should allow metal to die and then take it back.

September 01, 2007, 10:30:33 PM
Or make some decent classical.

K

September 01, 2007, 10:35:37 PM
We should allow metal to die and then take it back.
and what? start a whole lot of legacy bands? Take back metal back in corpse form? I don't mean to be rude, but it just seems like a ridiculous proposition to wait till 'metal dies'. On one level, it is dead, where there is perhaps little room left for innovation in all the current genres and incarnations, but on another level, it is still alive and well in that people are discovering the older bands again. Start a new band if you wish, but I recommend not being too genre oriented.

September 01, 2007, 10:43:15 PM
I'm not questioning the aspiration towards a greater ideal, I'm merely questioning the point of pursuing in the same direction as modern metal.
Metal can no longer continue in this path, it is a DEAD END. And from this dead end, Metal will evolve into something different, keeping it main characteristics, leaving behind what it is unnecessary.

Now go on, keep making rock infected music for years just to realize how worthless it will be. Keep repeating the same mistakes from the past.
At the moment metal is just another style of music,
which no longer can criticize society.
Its been so many years since metal is on agony, and you really still want to make something that sounds alike but got higher ideals?
Are you that blind to not see that this and many attempts will fall under the cloak of the music industry, because whether you like it or not, nowadays metal is becoming 'cool'.

September 02, 2007, 03:24:18 AM
I'm not questioning the aspiration towards a greater ideal, I'm merely questioning the point of pursuing in the same direction as modern metal.
Metal can no longer continue in this path, it is a DEAD END. And from this dead end, Metal will evolve into something different, keeping it main characteristics, leaving behind what it is unnecessary.

Now go on, keep making rock infected music for years just to realize how worthless it will be. Keep repeating the same mistakes from the past.
Its been so many years since metal is on agony, and you really still want to make something that sounds alike but got higher ideals?
Are you that blind to not see that this and many attempts will fall under the cloak of the music industry, because whether you like it or not, nowadays metal is becoming 'cool'.

it's hard to argue with that, something which i attempted to point out in my last topic, but just ended up in the moron section. something that comes off the top of my head is all the razorback records and morribound cult bands. bands which are highly praised for aesthetic but not their originality. scenesterism. it's hard to find a new direction with any metal band nowadays, which is why few people try. most try to stick to a good formula, find something that a large crowd of drunken people will get pumped up and fight eachother to, and then rake in the profit... i'd like to strive for something different. not necessarily come up with the most brilliant compositions, if i wanted that then i would go to a school of music, get the greatest understanding of classical music that i could, and be a composer. no, i'm going for an aesthetic that is unique in it's own local, cincinnati, humid, kind of way that doesn't necessarily reinvent anything, because to think that your music does that nowadays is naive, but to just make a music that achieves its own goal and has its own THC induced flavor, sorry for the disappointment, but i'm not going to avoid intoxication, but i am going to try to make the best metal music i can with the only resources i have which is other people who know a shitload about underground death, thrash, speed, grind, doom, and black metal, and just having fun. no pretension, bourgeouis, no "oh, look at me, i'm a neoclassical douchebag", just playing music the only way i know how.

if this gets put in the moron section i'd like to state for the record that i am drunk.l

September 02, 2007, 06:25:15 AM
We should allow metal to die, and then take it back?...

This is not how reality works. Can you think of many instances of this occuring?

We should do what comes naturally to us and disregard the crowd altogether. Nothing great is ever made by REACTING to the thrashing of the massive, moron-beast.

The best of the metal you undoubtedly love was made in ignorance of the "scene". It doesn't refer to the "scene" one way or the other. It just IS itself, and that freedom from self-consciousness was a prerequisite for its existence.

Kid, you should start your band, you should be selective about members, and you should act as though the world of metal isn't and wasn't ever there. Good luck to you!

shadowmystic

September 02, 2007, 07:06:48 AM
and what? start a whole lot of legacy bands? Take back metal back in corpse form? I don't mean to be rude, but it just seems like a ridiculous proposition to wait till 'metal dies'. On one level, it is dead, where there is perhaps little room left for innovation in all the current genres and incarnations, but on another level, it is still alive and well in that people are discovering the older bands again. Start a new band if you wish, but I recommend not being too genre oriented.

I meant that anyone wishing to start a serious metal band should wait until the mainstream forgets about it so that they will be making music for people who actually care about it.

September 02, 2007, 09:22:37 AM

You sound pretty sure of yourself in a lot of posts (and some of your posts are accurate btw) but maybe you should think some stuff over before posting certain things. For instance when you say that "nowadays metal is becoming cool" I can't help think "have you only been listening to metal for the past three years or something?" Actually every time someone starts posting about "the recent decay of metal" I can't help but think "that person is new to metal"

Metal has had to deal with regression and stagnation ever since it's inception. Emperor's "Anthems To The Wanking At Dusk" came out ten years ago now and you want to talk about how metal has recently become too popular?

Metal simply needs to deal with regression and stagnation every day, if that's too much trouble for you you can give up and say that we should let metal die or that metal is a dead end and go listen to something from the gay/christian/mainstream infested classical genre (of which the majority is shit too IMO, I don't understand how this genre would somehow "win" from metal especially on a metal forum)

To Apocalyptic Raves: if you want to start a metal band and are sincere I wish you the best of luck. I say don't let metal die but take metal back and try to elevate it to new heights. As long as you're aware of what you're doing there shouldn't be a problem. If it turns out to be nothing more than some people playing mediocre metal in a garage that's fine too, you can still get more insight in metal that way. But I'd advise you to pretend not to exist to the outside world until you have created something really worth listening to. What metal doesn't need is more bedroom projects and kvlt demos released in editions of three copies.