Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Starting up a metal band in 2007

September 02, 2007, 10:01:37 AM

Metal simply needs to deal with regression and stagnation every day, if that's too much trouble for you you can give up and say that we should let metal die or that metal is a dead end and go listen to something from the gay/christian/mainstream infested classical genre (of which the majority is shit too IMO, I don't understand how this genre would somehow "win" from metal especially on a metal forum)

To Apocalyptic Raves: if you want to start a metal band and are sincere I wish you the best of luck. I say don't let metal die but take metal back and try to elevate it to new heights. As long as you're aware of what you're doing there shouldn't be a problem. If it turns out to be nothing more than some people playing mediocre metal in a garage that's fine too, you can still get more insight in metal that way. But I'd advise you to pretend not to exist to the outside world until you have created something really worth listening to. What metal doesn't need is more bedroom projects and kvlt demos released in editions of three copies.

you're absolutely right, and i'm just as tired of seeing the shit as you are. digital recording helped kill metal because so many people could record useless shit; writing and recording is always a gamble but you have to be pretty confident in your music to drop money on some studio time.

yeah, buddy, i'm damn tired of all the shitty one man black metal projects, it reminds me very much of the indy scene, people hardly know how to play their instruments, or write a subtle lyrics.

let's see, what else... oh yeah. sorry for the drunken trolling, forget that post.

September 02, 2007, 10:28:50 AM
II've had a lot of really good riffs in my head lately, but it seems like a waste of time, considering the fact that unless you're really really creative, chances are somebody has thought of that riff first.

No way. There's still millions if not billions of riffs to be written.

The question really is, can you make meaningful death metal as sonic art? If you can, go ahead. If not, you're doing it for yourself only and are limiting yourself to yourself, which means you will produce easily hipsterized, inconsequential music.

September 02, 2007, 08:05:05 PM
Dyonisius, I've been listening metal since I can remember (My mother used to listen Judas priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, among other metal bands, I also grew up listening to Pink Floyd)
I grew up also with bands like Slayer, Bathory, Sarcofago, Hellhammer, Morbid Angel, etc.
Then, at the beginning of the 90's discovered Black metal in which I felt in love.
I listened to bands like Dark Throne, Emperor, Mayhem, Abruptum, Hades, Burzum, etc, there's so many bands I've been listening too.
Also I listen funeral doom bands like Thergothon, Disembowelment, Skepticism, Tyranny.

Now, The stagnation started longtime ago, even among heavy metal bands, but nowadays is quite more difficult to avoid. Let's face it, when Emperor released Anthem to the Welkin' at Dusk, Metal wasn't as so mainstream as it is now, For instance, bands like Dragonforce weren't making albums every week, And happily bands like Dimmu Borgir were releasing a few albums only.

Now, don't put the fault on Emperor only. Don't forget Cradle of Shit, and those shitty Gothic love songs. That was clearly bad, because it showed that metal could be somehow pop, And what about The Abyss? And Mr. Peter Tägtgren and his part of fault as well.
Decay started years ago, but didn't aggravate until a few years ago. I didn't state this before because and SIMPLY because I wasn't part of this forum before.

September 02, 2007, 10:11:16 PM
Dyonisius, I've been listening metal since I can remember (My mother used to listen Judas priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, among other metal bands, I also grew up listening to Pink Floyd)
I grew up also with bands like Slayer, Bathory, Sarcofago, Hellhammer, Morbid Angel, etc.
Then, at the beginning of the 90's discovered Black metal in which I felt in love.
I listened to bands like Dark Throne, Emperor, Mayhem, Abruptum, Hades, Burzum, etc, there's so many bands I've been listening too.
Also I listen funeral doom bands like Thergothon, Disembowelment, Skepticism, Tyranny.

Now, The stagnation started longtime ago, even among heavy metal bands, but nowadays is quite more difficult to avoid. Let's face it, when Emperor released Anthem to the Welkin' at Dusk, Metal wasn't as so mainstream as it is now, For instance, bands like Dragonforce weren't making albums every week, And happily bands like Dimmu Borgir were releasing a few albums only.

Now, don't put the fault on Emperor only. Don't forget Cradle of Shit, and those shitty Gothic love songs. That was clearly bad, because it showed that metal could be somehow pop, And what about The Abyss? And Mr. Peter Tägtgren and his part of fault as well.
Decay started years ago, but didn't aggravate until a few years ago. I didn't state this before because and SIMPLY because I wasn't part of this forum before.

The fact that the stagnation is much more difficult to avoid should be a challenge to the up and coming artists, not words of discouragement. Every single generation in metal has had to deal with this, so why not this one? Something must come after black metal that doesn't try to top the intensity, blasphemy, or evil of black metal, but transcends boundaries where black metal couldn't. Don't get me wrong, black metal was effin' brilliant, but it could  go further, higher, and better while not necessarily being faster, more intense, more intense, more melodic, or whatever.

September 02, 2007, 10:46:05 PM
I wasn't trying to attack you personally, it meant what it said. You made some good points in your posts but when you said that nowadays metal is becoming 'cool' I couldn't help but wonder what that meant (I thought you meant metal is becoming more popular lately which isn't a new thing)

Talking about how "metal is dead" is a populist topic these days, an easy way to garner attention and alignment but often without offering any realistic solution.

Metal always needs to deal with problems from within (clone bands, fucked up scenes) and from the outside (sellouts, falling into the mainstream) Every situation requires a different approach but basically to stay fit metal needs to exercise. Don't get me wrong I distanced myself from any scenes many years ago but I would like to see metal evolve as a musical genre and I believe it's still possible. Even if there would only be three great releases in the next ten years I will be grateful for them.

I think both black and death metal should try to break away from the standard metal song formula and experiment more in terms of composition. Having original riffs doesn't even matter that much since a lot of good albums have familiar sounding riffs, often bands also rehash their own riffs. What matters is the way the riffs are put together. In this sense the "rock" element has to die and be replaced with something else, but there's no need to claim metal has become helpless. Never mind what's happening in the mainstream because that's where the dead end is. Metal is only limited by peoples imagination.

September 02, 2007, 11:17:10 PM
I didn't take your comments as attacks, and I totally agree with your last post.

September 03, 2007, 11:57:01 AM

It's all about community standards. There were a few clone bands and morons in the early days, like Forgotten Wolves and Goatlord, but after many more people poured into the fanbase and started their own crap bands, the older bands threw in the towel and either quit or started making crowd-friendly stuff.

This could be reversed, but it requires the people who do know the difference to get a lot more active in promoting the good bands and being intolerant of crap.

September 03, 2007, 03:55:04 PM
i thnk we're talking in circles here

September 03, 2007, 03:58:40 PM
i thnk we're talking in circles here

It happens a lot here.

September 03, 2007, 07:22:41 PM
Forgotten Wolves

I have to point this one out.

Forgotten Wolves isn't even a band. They never were a band. From memory SRP made this typo and people were too stupid to double check their existence and it got perpetuated out of control.

Amusing stuff!  ;D

September 03, 2007, 08:49:15 PM
I would like to point this out:

'Emo'-Shitty-Icons should be banned and therefore permanently removed from this site.

September 03, 2007, 11:37:31 PM
I would like to point this out:

'Emo'-Shitty-Icons should be banned and therefore permanently removed from this site.

eh, what's the point?  :P  :)  ;)  ;D  >:(  ::)

September 04, 2007, 12:04:29 AM
I ask you the same: What's the point for them to be around when they are meaningless for us.
(The same could be said about some people, but then again, that's another tale).

September 04, 2007, 12:26:16 AM
They are there because visual cues can convey some meanings that text, regardless of how clearly its author thinks he/she has written it, cannot.

On-topic:

If you wish to make metal purely for leisure, please spare the rest of us by not taking up space and resources from those bands who create music with higher intentions.

If, on the other hand, you feel you truly have something important to say with your music, go for it.

September 04, 2007, 12:32:32 AM
So basically these Emo-Shitty-Icons are a synthesized/simplified version of moods.

Aren't we simply destroying language by simplifying it content?
Is this a common process?

Reminds me a lot to what happens to music, simplifying it so everyone can understand.
Anyway, enough of my ramblings, lets get back to our main topic.