I see no future for metal. For metal is old school metal - 80's and up to early 90's. Old School Metal died with the end of the 2nd wave of Black Metal.
If you don't belive that, let us analyze it genre by genre.
Heavy Metal. The genre in its original form is dead, but the bastard children of it are what is mistaken for it - Euro Power Metal, Symphonic metal, melodic Metal etc. The genre in one form or another is still strugling for life.
Thrash Metal.It is 99% dead. The remaining 1% is represented by so called Retro Thrash : a bunch of bands that started in late 90's or 00's and that try to play thrash as it was in the 80's early 90's. The genre is beyond rescue.
Black Metal. Completely dead. People are just jumping around the corpse of the genre, hoping to bring it to life: they experiment with electronics, technical proficiency, elements of other genres, philosophy, ideology ... but nothing helps, the corpse remains a corpse. The peak of Black Metal was Darkthrone's Under A Funeral Moon. Then came out Transilvanian Hunger which made BM more accesable and spawned hundreds of clones which eqaulled to a backstab.
Death Metal. This genre is also completely dead. the whole idea, concept behind the genre is lost, thus making impossible its further existance.
May you have any questions, go ahead.