Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Jesus loves anti-life black metal

Jesus loves anti-life black metal
May 07, 2005, 10:11:04 AM
I remember I was reading some interview with Mutiilation or Belketre or some other Black Legions band, and they constantly talked about how much they hated humans, life, how great the universe would be if it was completely devoid of life, and other similar sentiments. This attitude is pretty prevalent in black metal now, it seems. It's extreme, evil, misanthropic, what have you, and doesn't require much in the way of articulation. If you just want to look "necro", it's pretty easy when the basis for your ideology is "Kill All Life". There's no need to go too in depth when you can just rant about how much you hate everyone.

Then, I saw a quote today which I remembered reading when glancing through that unfortunate book they made me read in grade school: The Bible.

According to the book that Christians hold to be holy, Jesus Christ, the Nazarene, the schizophrenic with a God-complex who turned the world topsy-turvy by declaring that it should adhere to the principles of Opposite Day, said the following before a bunch of Jews had him nailed to a a cross:

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

-Luke 14:26

Re: Jesus loves anti-life black metal
May 07, 2005, 12:20:29 PM
The bible is a wonderful resource: for discrediting Christianity of its doctrinal merit and and citing the destructive motives of both the Christian and Jewish faiths.

Haha. Luke seems to have taken Matthew 10:37 to an extreme when plagiarizing the earlier author.

The problem with Christianity, explained in a verse:
Matthew 10:27, which reads, "What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops." The footnote reads: "A denial of any esoteric teaching. "

May 07, 2005, 08:03:02 PM
"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

-Luke 14:26

Talk about a radical misinterpretation of that verse, given the constant talk of "loving thy neighbor" and "your body is the temple of god" in the bible.  The correct interpretation is something more along the lines of never being content with yourself in your current form, but always striving to be something greater than you currently are.  As such, I'd say that verse has a great deal of wisdom in it, even if it is from the bible and thus "christian" to think so.

May 07, 2005, 08:27:00 PM
The correct interpretation is something more along the lines of never being content with yourself in your current form, but always striving to be something greater than you currently are.  

How did you infer that, exactly?

Luke 14:25-33 is a series of sayings declaring the necessity of the disciples' total devotion ot following Jesus. Specifically, in this verse, hate is simply vivid language; the parallel passage in Matthew 10:37 reflects Jesus' plain meaning.

It is true, however, that there is some wisdom to be gained from most ancient scriptural works.

May 07, 2005, 08:28:06 PM
The correct interpretation is something more along the lines of never being content with yourself in your current form, but always striving to be something greater than you currently are.  

Luke 14:25-33 is a series of sayings declaring the necessity of the disciples' total devotion ot following Jesus. Specifically, in this verse, hate[I/] is simply vivid language; the parallel passage in Matthew 10:37 reflects Jesus' plain meaning.

It is true, however, that there is some[I/] wisdom to be gained from most ancient scriptural tomes.

May 07, 2005, 08:28:21 PM

Luke 14:25-33 is a series of sayings declaring the necessity of the disciples' total devotion ot following Jesus. Specifically, in this verse, hate is simply vivid language; the parallel passage in Matthew 10:37 reflects Jesus' plain meaning.

It is true, however, that there is some wisdom to be gained from most ancient scriptural tomes.

May 07, 2005, 08:41:38 PM

It is true, however, that there is some wisdom to be gained from most ancient scriptural works.

It's obvious that "hate" in the sense of the BM bands using it is not how it's intended here- even you've just admitted that.

If it's a paralell to that verse in Matthew, the proper phrasing would be something like "Don't care about your mother, father, bla, bla, yourself, bla".  The constant passages about the body as the temple of god makes it obvious, though, that this meaning of "completely ignore your body" is wrong.  The only other possible meaning of this that I can see is to "hate" the current self and family, as in the sense of striving for the ubermensch.

May 08, 2005, 04:16:39 AM
Talk about a radical misinterpretation of that verse, given the constant talk of "loving thy neighbor" and "your body is the temple of god" in the bible.  The correct interpretation is something more along the lines of never being content with yourself in your current form, but always striving to be something greater than you currently are.  As such, I'd say that verse has a great deal of wisdom in it, even if it is from the bible and thus "christian" to think so.

I think the context of the verse is that followers of Christ will encounter opposition from everyone they know and from within if they choose to follow him. That being said, the implications are the same. The word hate is accurately translated, I understand from the Greek "miseo", as in the beginnings of the words "misanthropy", or "misogyny". He definitely does mean "hate". The verse is not about making oneself better, it is about complete surrender to Christ. Implicit in this surrender is the complete devalutation of life, as Christians believe that all people are either equally condemned for their sin, or equally saved, and all other things are inconsequential in the end.  Lives are lived toward an immaterial, otherworldy goal, and Jesus is clearly saying that other "imperfect" humans who stand in your way, ie, everyone, are a wedge that gets between you and God.

He also does say to love your neighbor, and all kinds of other things. The Bible is full of contradictions. Here, the most negative implications of Christianity shine through for all to raise an eyebrow at.