Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Thinking of heading to the conservatory

shadowmystic

Thinking of heading to the conservatory
September 25, 2007, 01:23:05 AM
I've already got a decent grounding in theory but I feel like this would be useful to apply to my interest in composing.  Anyone here had any experience with this, is it helpful?  I'm going to be applying for an audition in the next month or so.

Septicemia

Re: Thinking of heading to the conservatory
September 25, 2007, 04:21:57 PM
Where are you applying?

shadowmystic

September 26, 2007, 06:37:08 AM
Adelaide, Australia, probably not the best place in the world but I like the city and would rather not move.

September 26, 2007, 06:47:50 AM
I've already got a decent grounding in theory but I feel like this would be useful to apply to my interest in composing.  Anyone here had any experience with this, is it helpful?  I'm going to be applying for an audition in the next month or so.

I have a friend who started a couple of years back and said that it was quite intensive the amount that you learnt. By all accounts it sounded quite decent. Don't have any personal experience myself, always preferred just read books at home.

September 26, 2007, 12:53:44 PM
Adelaide, Australia, probably not the best place in the world but I like the city and would rather not move.

I think Sydney has the best music programme in Australia, no?

September 26, 2007, 08:31:16 PM
Do it, I done it, it's very useful.
However, there are a lot of things before you start to compose, like technic and solfege.

Keep on mind a solid recognition of notes not only reading, but also in your auditive memory.

Good  effort on your audition.

September 26, 2007, 11:47:13 PM
I've been told these programs do not involve much teaching and it's a lot of self-learning.

What's the difference between trying to learn from books and going to a conservatory? I mean, why do it?

shadowmystic

September 27, 2007, 01:59:44 AM
I will be auditioning for admission to conservatories in the U.S. very soon. It would be interesting to see the difference in processes for Australia and the U.S.

What instrument do you play, and what will you play for your audition? If you are submitting scores for review, can we see them? What are the audition requirements for your schools?

I have a few compositions nearly complete, I can give you midis and/or sheet music if you're interested.  I play piano and guitar, probably be auditioning on the piano unless I feel like I won't be able to learn my songs in time, but with some serious hard practice it should be no trouble.

September 28, 2007, 12:52:26 AM
I've been told these programs do not involve much teaching and it's a lot of self-learning.

What's the difference between trying to learn from books and going to a conservatory? I mean, why do it?

Personally, when I'm reading, I like the ambience of a library better than my home.
I'd go for sure.