Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy for Hessians

Comedy for Hessians
September 25, 2007, 05:22:33 PM
I think we all realize this site is for the most part "serious business," but with this forum comes the opportunity to ask something I've been wondering about for a while: Where does a hessian turn to to get his laugh on? It's easy to say that as long as you keep your eyes open, you will always be able to see the humorous parts of life, which might end up giving you a chuckle or two. But I'm not talking about that here; I'm talking about laughing so hard your sides hurt, without turning to cheap entertainment which in general does not humor me at all. So how are such acts as stand up comics viewed upon by the denizens of this forum? And are there any names worth checking out?

Re: Comedy for Hessians
September 25, 2007, 05:40:39 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricky-Gervais-Live-Animals-Politics/dp/B000ILZESE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-7350430-5195056?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1190752692&sr=8-1

Ricky Gervais. Very intelligent and well performed stand up comedy, and doesn't insult your intelligence by watching it.

Also insanely funny.

September 25, 2007, 05:51:44 PM
George Carlin for certain. Irreverent and sardonic without sinking to the depths of stupidity.

chrstphrbnntt

September 25, 2007, 06:11:02 PM
Bill Bailey has me in stitches. Bill Hicks, Dylan Moran, Ricky Gervais, Mitch Hedberg, Ross Noble, Jim Gaffigan, Patton Oswalt, David Cross—mainly for the Pitchfork burning he dished out on their own site—Lenny Bruce, Zach Galifianikis, Louis C.K. and Demetri Martin all also have their merits. Most of those are recent comedians... I'm biased to guys I've seen live. I think my favorites are Hicks, Bailey and Martin at the moment.

Also, recently, Knocked Up broke my funnybone.

September 25, 2007, 06:29:12 PM
I always enjoyed the comedic styling of Billy Connolly to be very enjoyable. Its almost like hes a folk musician in stand up form.  

September 25, 2007, 06:55:40 PM
Jam. Nihilist comedy.

Septicemia

September 25, 2007, 07:08:55 PM
Mitch Hedberg

I would point out he was actually a hessian. Or at least in one of his stand-ups he mentioned being into Obituary and Rigor Mortis (Texas, I assume).

K

September 25, 2007, 07:12:45 PM
Bill O'reily because nothing is funny like the stupids.
Also, I read bad fiction, because I laugh very hard, to the point of tears almost, when some one ends a sentence with a preposition. Bad fan-fiction, while very sad, produce some of the funniest, cheapest and ironic pieces of humor I have read. see this.
for something with more substance, I occasionally listen to George Carlin.

chrstphrbnntt

September 25, 2007, 07:37:35 PM
Bill O'reily because nothing is funny like the stupids.
Also, I read bad fiction, because I laugh very hard, to the point of tears almost, when some one ends a sentence with a preposition. Bad fan-fiction, while very sad, produce some of the funniest, cheapest and ironic pieces of humor I have read. see this.
for something with more substance, I occasionally listen to George Carlin.

Harry Potter fanfiction is amazing. Have you ever read Jurassic Potter? It's a masterpiece of stupidity.

September 25, 2007, 09:17:51 PM

chrstphrbnntt

September 25, 2007, 09:57:00 PM
Bill Bailey spoofing Kraftwerk... gotta love the guy.

September 25, 2007, 10:28:07 PM
Spacemoose is always funny.

Vajra

September 29, 2007, 09:59:51 AM
Shaun Micallef is my favorite comedian. These sketches are pretty good:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=David+McGahan&search=Search

here's the rest:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=shaun%20micallef&search=Search

This thread lacks mentions of  Monty Python!