Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Games for the metal community.

Re: Games for the metal community.
October 02, 2007, 12:28:44 PM
Personally, games have never interested me, though I've tried my hands at Half life, NFS, etc. I don't think it's a waste of time though, depending on what you learn from it, unless you're like some people I know that spend around 12 hours a day playing world of warcraft, and the other 12 asleep.

K

October 03, 2007, 12:59:53 AM
New games just DO NOT interest me in the slightest.

I feel the same, but not just with games, it goes for cinema and 21st century literature as well. It just doesn't seem worth the time.

October 03, 2007, 05:54:27 PM
I feel the same, but not just with games, it goes for cinema and 21st century literature as well. It just doesn't seem worth the time.

Yes, I blame it all on capitalism. It engulfs one form of media after another in its arsenal to appease the average double-chinned, reality-show watching American.

... what to do? Enjoy the classics and hope the breakdown occurs before we're old and gray.

October 03, 2007, 09:25:51 PM

You and I really agree on this topic.

Recent literature is fucking terrible, and it seems to emulate the movies. The games emulate the movies. The movies emulate TV, but do a better job.

It's a political statement, an act of self-preservation, and a use of the time for better things to steer away from these dead forms of "entertainment" and do something better with your time.

If you "can't figure out" something better to do with your time, you're not pushing yourself enough, which is usually because you don't have the self-confidence. Try remembering your inherent worth and abilities, and actually exerting yourself.

chrstphrbnntt

October 03, 2007, 09:48:35 PM

You and I really agree on this topic.

Recent literature is fucking terrible, and it seems to emulate the movies. The games emulate the movies. The movies emulate TV, but do a better job.

It's a political statement, an act of self-preservation, and a use of the time for better things to steer away from these dead forms of "entertainment" and do something better with your time.

If you "can't figure out" something better to do with your time, you're not pushing yourself enough, which is usually because you don't have the self-confidence. Try remembering your inherent worth and abilities, and actually exerting yourself.

Agreed. I'm hoping that the good art is just escaping me, but that's the naïve little optimist douchebag buried deep inside me. Society just isn't producing Platos and Beethovens anymore, as stated on this site numerous times by numerous people. It's a sad thing.

October 04, 2007, 03:20:46 AM
3 - 3 basketball or a pick-up game of American football is always fun with friends.  Badminton is a good one too: kind of like chess for the physically capable, which is unusual for a 1 – 1 sport (assuming the opponent is worthy competition).  

As mentioned earlier, Chess is a standby in more sedentary pursuits.  There's also variations of games that involve coming up with a story in "X" amount of time between a few close friends: it's creative, analytical, and is usually good for a few laughs.  Pranks are also great both in conception and execution, assuming you aim high.

It's too bad that some people here apparently think too highly of themselves to have some fun once in a while.  Don't like the games that exist?  Make one up.  Dissatisfied with literature these days?  Identify the problem(s) and demolish them creatively.  Too much complaining...

October 04, 2007, 06:54:05 PM
If you enjoy FPS, play airsoft, espacially in tactical simulation scenario games. Its the closest activity to real war that is available, I've actually convinced myself that it was real on a few occasions.

If you live in CT---http://airsoftct.com/

K

October 04, 2007, 08:09:47 PM
I knew some air softers in highschool, it was very geeky. It was like a military live action role play only they didn't realize the pointlessness. I'm not against fun, just don't let your hobbies take you over.

chrstphrbnntt

October 04, 2007, 11:18:11 PM
If you enjoy FPS, play airsoft, espacially in tactical simulation scenario games. Its the closest activity to real war that is available, I've actually convinced myself that it was real on a few occasions.

If you live in CT---http://airsoftct.com/

Or you could join the military. Practicing a martial art works, too.

October 05, 2007, 01:14:18 PM

As mentioned earlier, Chess is a standby in more sedentary pursuits.

What do you mean by this?

October 09, 2007, 06:16:24 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned table-top roleplaying games.

Why rely on the sub-par bullshit pushed by video-game companies when you can design your own story with a few good friends? Maybe you guys are just from a different generation, but a good portion of my early teens was spent playing (real) roleplaying games. It is an excellent exercise in storytelling, and to some degree, 'acting'. A clever person will immediate recognize this as a medium for communicating GOOD IDEAS through narrative, character, etc.

Besides that, physical games are good as well. Paintball, and games like capture the flag are an excellent way to get in touch with your wits and instincts again. I played a game of capture the flag with 70+ people in the downtown area of my old city one friday night. People were climbing on the outside of parking garages, sprinting through department stores, and all kinds of stuff. Some of the most fun I've had in my life.

October 09, 2007, 06:32:59 AM

I forgot to ask... what movies do you actually like? I've seen you write off movies as 'worthless' but I have a feeling that you'd at least like a handful.

Movies are like anything, I feel - if you seek them out there is some wonderful stuff that really speaks to you of a passion for life.

Some of my favourites include: The Seventh Seal, Barton Fink, Mirror (aka Zerkalo), Ikiru, Network, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Throne Of Blood and The Shawshank Redemption.

Admittedly none of these is from "recent times."

October 09, 2007, 06:35:43 AM
PS: Sorry to derail this thread.

I don't play many video games, especially not on my own. I play on some weekends with friends; mainly crappy games like Warcraft III and its thousands of mods. The RPG mods of said game are general favourites as well as AOS maps like DOTA. It's a bit of a competitive giggle amongst friends (foes) if anything. None of us are particularly good which makes it interesting.

October 10, 2007, 08:08:54 AM
In my early teens I loved games like Age of Empires (II, though I is ok, it's somewhat mediocre if you play the second one first) and Runescape. Building civilizations and conducting medieval warfare, great. Runescape (an online MMORPG) was somewhat of an outlet for me, which I first started playing when I was a 12yo who had a deep yearning for ancient/medieval times, being suffocated by a dirty modern world. You get to play in a world free from modern things (save other players), fighting with swords and axes etc, making stuff by crafting and smithing, exploring and doing quests; basically free to do whatever you want (though to be 'child-safe', no abuse ::)..or scamming..etc). Similar to the poor production of most black metal, the "shit" graphics that put other people off it never bothered me. I wanna play that game again.

[random: the new user 'Metalover' who started a thread concerning her metal report is quite possibly someone I advised to visit this site last year when I still played it. She had some thread on the Runescape forums embracing all worthless bands and genres, and countless posts of idiotic dribble that you would expect]
(i just searched the forums and came up with this: http://forum.runescape.com/forums.ws?23,24,431,52278263. WTF. The 84th installment of this shit? Each thread gets capped at 2000posts...)

Anyway, I recently purchased Age of Mythology (and the expansion) for $20. Hopefully not a letdown?

October 13, 2007, 11:16:16 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned table-top roleplaying games.

Why rely on the sub-par bullshit pushed by video-game companies when you can design your own story with a few good friends? Maybe you guys are just from a different generation, but a good portion of my early teens was spent playing (real) roleplaying games. It is an excellent exercise in storytelling, and to some degree, 'acting'. A clever person will immediate recognize this as a medium for communicating GOOD IDEAS through narrative, character, etc.

Besides that, physical games are good as well. Paintball, and games like capture the flag are an excellent way to get in touch with your wits and instincts again. I played a game of capture the flag with 70+ people in the downtown area of my old city one friday night. People were climbing on the outside of parking garages, sprinting through department stores, and all kinds of stuff. Some of the most fun I've had in my life.

These are great activities, I might be a bit too old for the capture-the-flag stuff (surely a lot of fun though), but the "pen-and-paper" kind of RPG is a really creative model of gaming. A few friends used to play a game loosely based on Dungeons & Dragons back in high school but they usually just goofed around a lot, always including whores and gay goblins in their "sessions" = failure

Now if only had the imagination required to participate...damnit ;S