Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Games for the metal community.

Games for the metal community.
September 30, 2007, 06:37:30 AM
I listen to alot of metal,its one of the things i enjoy.
But i also like to play alot of games, but im really selective in what I play.

I really enjoy old rpg games, really old ones before the creation of graphics, where the character is like a symbol like a @. i really like these old games because their not trying to impress you with there graphics and they have very little story line normally you just adventure into the wild and have so much freedom.
A game i enjoy in this was is called "The UnReal world" where your character is a part of a finish clan and would have to survive in the wild by improving your skills and catching fish and building shelters ect.
Other newer games are the Elder scrolls series.

I was just wondering if anyone else in the metal communtiy loves to play games and if their as selective as i am in their choices.

chb

Re: Games for the metal community.
September 30, 2007, 03:57:40 PM
I play some card games from time to time (mostly Skat and Doppelkopf, which you probably won't know if you aren't German). It's fun and it requires intelligence and concentration.

As for computer games, I sometimes play them if I have nothing else to do. I try to avoid it, though. There are lots of better things you can do with your time.

chrstphrbnntt

September 30, 2007, 04:16:35 PM
I play some card games from time to time (mostly Skat and Doppelkopf, which you probably won't know if you aren't German). It's fun and it requires intelligence and concentration.

Good games, not many people to play them with around here though. I bought a few German decks just for those games. I also enjoy poker, blackjack, et cetera. Sleight of hand is quite fun to practice also, especially card throwing.

For computer games, I enjoy first-person shooters. Namely Red Orchestra. I like Red Orchestra because it's very realistic and hard as fuck. Very mentally taxing. I used to be into RPGs when I was younger, but they're just too fucking easy.

September 30, 2007, 05:12:29 PM
I think we should go back to traditionnal games. Most of the European country had (and still have) some very good intellectual and logical game. Chess is one of them (and I know they're is a more complex version for the Nordic and British people).

Those game are generally fun, simple to use and explain, and good for the spirit and mind.

Video games in itself are like most of the modern things : some good things exist, but it does have some problem in itself. If you want to aim at good video games, try to aim at games that are rather a media that tells us a story (old RPG) then a media for pure entertainment (name 99% of the game).

September 30, 2007, 05:24:00 PM
Console RPGs of the highest caliber.

Cards are typically boring unless socializing.

September 30, 2007, 06:14:07 PM
Interesting topic.

I enjoy old school games like KING'S QUEST and DIABLO

Also, ICEWIND DALE and BAULDER'S GATE I enjoy very much.

chrstphrbnntt

September 30, 2007, 06:46:10 PM
I think we should go back to traditionnal games. Most of the European country had (and still have) some very good intellectual and logical game. Chess is one of them (and I know they're is a more complex version for the Nordic and British people).

Those game are generally fun, simple to use and explain, and good for the spirit and mind.

Video games in itself are like most of the modern things : some good things exist, but it does have some problem in itself. If you want to aim at good video games, try to aim at games that are rather a media that tells us a story (old RPG) then a media for pure entertainment (name 99% of the game).

Chess is a very fun game, yes. It's hard to find people to play it with here, though. When I play a game, I want it to be a mental or physical exercise first, and a means of socialization or fun second.

Getting a story told to me is dead last. If I wanted that, I'd be reading a book.

September 30, 2007, 06:54:35 PM
I like all form of media to tell me a story if the said story is good, may it be books, movie, storyteller (mostly for folkloric tales), games, or anything else.

They all have their own way of telling a story, and to compare them is something fun when it's of equal quality.

September 30, 2007, 06:55:35 PM
I don't really play that much, but I did love the old Forgotten Realms games like Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale. Perhaps it's just me being nostalgic, but I think they're both inspiring and beautiful.

Especially the Baldur's Gate series are thoroughly well made games with a great plots, interesting characters, lots of choices and of course the consequences that follow.

Icewind Dale is a bit more hack n' slash than the former but has an massively beautiful, cold, haunting atmosphere, and if I remember correctly Jeremy Soule's soundtrack was pretty awesome too.

I guess games are just like everything else (music, movies, people, literature) there's some really good one's (that can be challenging, thoughtful and well-written) and for each good one there's a mountain of crap.

Interesting fact: Burzum's self titled album and Det Som Engang Var both have drawings inspired from a D&D tabletop fantasy role-playing game called The Temple of Elemental Evil on their cover.

September 30, 2007, 06:57:12 PM
Tactical RPG's are an excellent format for a thinking mans pastime; the stat system depth and customization/battle options in Final fantasy tactics are seemingly infinite, not to mention a great storyline about heresy and heroics and all that good stuff, with very little melodrama. The game was just re-released for psp with improved interface options and a bunch of FMV's, along with a better Japanese-english translation, but it kind of has the same effect on the original FFT as when George Lucas went back and made star wars "better".

September 30, 2007, 07:10:32 PM
I've always loved RPG's, long before it became "cool"! I like the games cause of the stories... it's like reading a book, just that you can make more of decisions yourself and you kind of more involved with the characters and how the develop!

Very many people like to say games like Final Fantasy VII is the greatest RPG ever... I wouldn't really agree about that! I think for example Final Fantasy VI has a much better story and more ways to succeed in the game story! The experience of exploring, whatever it is to explore, is a good thing in these kinds of games! Because of this I also like puzzle games!

Platform games is more entertaining, but yet I like the way I train my reactions! If the platform game also contains a good story, a lot of secret stuff and a hell lot of real-time tactic making situations then it's really something for me! Entertainment and experience! (Examples on newer better games, Oddworld, Ico, Shadow Of The Colossus, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy with real-time battles, so your opponents can attack you, while you think! Make sure to make it as difficult for you as possible for the sake of the realness and doing a good job!)

(I could sure have explain these things better, if my English was better!)

BTW: To the post above, I've played the FFTA to GBA... That game was cool, but I heard FFT was better, so if they have made great remake!! Another good remake they did was Final Fantasy I, they made the graphics better, they fixed a little on the battle system and added 5 more dungeons! One 10 floor, one 20... and one 50 floors! In these you can find monsters from FFIV-FFVI! :D Some small extra stories down there, really out-of-story, but good! You can think of it as time holes and would fit into the story better!

September 30, 2007, 07:52:46 PM
I used to love FFVII. Playing that was like reading an incredibly interactive book.

I have no games now apart from Battlefield 2 and I enjoy firing that up once in a while. Will get a World War II modification for it when it comes out, soon.

I used to play games a lot more than I do now, until I realised they aren't that important (and cost a lot).

September 30, 2007, 09:00:39 PM
Necromancer.

Based on the book, it was made about 15 years ago and is much better than the garbage released today.

K

September 30, 2007, 09:49:12 PM
I play chess, or used to. Its hard to find someone who knows how to play now a days, let alone play a good round.

to abyssia: there is an old star trek game that ran like kings quest, it was pretty good if you like sci-fi. Can't run it on modern computers though, it was made when they used stuff called EMS memory. (think it stands for expandable memory system, but not sure).

chrstphrbnntt

September 30, 2007, 10:36:45 PM
FFVI was great for the first half, but the World of Ruin was really bad. Final Fantasy Tactics and Chrono Trigger are probably two of my favorite RPGs. Star Ocean 2 is a good one, also. Other great ones: Vagrant Story, Dark Cloud, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Skies of Arcadia, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, FFIV and FFVII.

Half-Life 2 is a very very good game that shouldn't be missed. Superb gameplay, graphics and story. I also enjoy competitive RTS games: Starcraft is always a good one—Starcraft 2 is coming out soon, actually—as are Warcraft, Command & Conquer, Civilization, Age of Empires, Total Annihilation, and especially Supreme Commander.