Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Amateur Astronomy

Re: Amateur Astronomy
October 18, 2007, 04:13:12 PM
Funnily enough, even though I study all of this, I never did any real stargazing. I'm just too much of a theorist to go through all the hassle of actually doing any of the more experimental or  observational work.  

Heh, I actually detracted from the astrophysics path because I felt it wasn't hands-on enough for me. Go figure.

October 19, 2007, 03:39:07 AM
Great responses, I enjoyed them!!! I like amatauer astronomy. It is really, really fun once you know how to operate your telescope and  how to map the heavens!!!!! (allthough i must admit, it was really hard to get used to in the begining!!!). my first tip to all those who would want to buy a telescope is that it is an investment. spend about 400 us dollars for a really cool beginer's one. reason being, money talks in this field!!! more bang for your buck you can say.

I was at one point two years ago, thinking about going into planetary science but...i found out that it is not very practical since there are no jobs for people with astronomy degrees. (physics degrees? okay maybe for those guys). . so i got really bummed out and decided to make it just a hobby.

October 19, 2007, 03:50:30 AM
Heh, I actually detracted from the astrophysics path because I felt it wasn't hands-on enough for me. Go figure.

yes, i know. you are at the grace of computers/technology. that is why people get so turned off by our latest cosmological theories. i remember speaking to one english man here on this board who was persuing a degree in astro-physics? are you here...??!!

October 19, 2007, 03:54:13 AM
this is kind of off the topic, yet related; i find the theories about the multiverse and zero-point energy to be quite fascinating. quantum physics/mechanics is pretty cool shit.

you place a cat in a box and close it. how can you predict the movement and behavior of the cat without seeing inside?? blahahaha that is quantum mechanics for you!!!

yes, i agree cool stuff. a lot of physicists and mathematicians are teaming up to try create a "grand unified theory of everything".  i believe the physics for it is there but they just need help with the math part of it. that is where the mathematicians come in...

October 19, 2007, 07:52:22 PM

yes, i know. you are at the grace of computers/technology. that is why people get so turned off by our latest cosmological theories. i remember speaking to one english man here on this board who was persuing a degree in astro-physics? are you here...??!!

Oh, I don't feel I'm turned off by theoretical astronomy, but rather I'd rather not be limited to just theoretical work.

Regardless, I am involved in a research project dealing with extrasolar planets. Obviously this is theoretical astronomy and not experimental/observational, although it is clearly based on observational data. I wish I could expound on the subject further, but I'll wait until I'm done with the project :)

October 19, 2007, 08:19:37 PM
16 and no cashflow here. Might need to get a part time job and perhaps invest in a telescope with 2 other local anus members here that I know in real life. But we'd have to go out to the country to reap the benefit of a good telescope and avoid light pollution.

The stars amaze me, so interesting and so much variety.