Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Life cycle of stars

Life cycle of stars
October 02, 2007, 03:54:29 PM
Newborn stars are expanding with something like joy.

I agree with your point, but your metaphor almost died here.

Re: Life cycle of stars
October 02, 2007, 04:00:04 PM
After a post discouraging petty squabbles, I didn't feel brave enough to point out a technicality.

Although to be precise, more often than not it is dying stars that expand. With something like furious and pointless hatred.

October 02, 2007, 04:34:27 PM
The whole metaphor was kind of insulting to begin with in all honesty.  As if we cannot understand simple concepts with out such a pretentious speech.

October 02, 2007, 05:25:33 PM
Well someone had to tell b4b to stop being a social retard.

Divus_de_Mortuus

October 02, 2007, 11:06:10 PM
The whole metaphor was kind of insulting to begin with in all honesty.  As if we cannot understand simple concepts with out such a pretentious speech.

Very true, but you know as well as I do that dealing with this is part of the agreement to be a user here...

October 03, 2007, 12:45:57 AM
Dying stars are not reaching outward. They have hit the limits of their expansion, and now all they have is their gravity, which makes them fall inward. The gravity gradually increases until they become black holes that eat all matter and light around them.

Where did you get this from? I can't take something seriously if it starts off with a fallacy. Stars expand as they grow old. As their core runs out of hydrogen and then helium, the core contacts and the outer layers expand, cool, and become less bright. This is a red giant or a red super giant (depending on the initial mass of the star). It will eventually collapse and explode.

I'm sure the OP knew this. Which means this post should be taken to mean the exact opposite of what it says ;) i.e.- don't give a damn about b4b if you don't have to.

October 03, 2007, 08:12:15 AM
After a post discouraging petty squabbles, I didn't feel brave enough to point out a technicality.

Although to be precise, more often than not it is dying stars that expand. With something like furious and pointless hatred.

Heh, was about to point out the same thing, but I suppose for all intents and purposes the analogy still works, as newborn starts, starting from scratch, do arise from dust particles and atoms clashing into each other and congregating in one spot, expanding as the mass becomes larger and attracts more matter.

October 03, 2007, 09:29:23 PM
How do black holes form?

Aside from the obvious allusion.