Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Slow Paced Black-Metal

K

Slow Paced Black-Metal
September 19, 2007, 11:37:00 AM
I have heard a lot about the creative freedom of death metal, about how you can play as fast or slow as you wish. I find that it is not found as often in black metal. I was thinking this could be a thread to suggest really good low paced albums or songs; my examples;

Gorgoroth- Everything from antichrist (The percussive is fast, but there is a very slow feeling to the album with the exception of the first track) and Virginborn from destroyer

Von- Von, lamb,(not entirely slow paced but unusual drumming. )

Darkthrone- Hordes of Nebula, Quintessence,

Judas Iscariot- Reign, Cold Earth Slept Below

Burzum- Decrepitude, Det Som En Gang Var, Dominus Sathanas

Necromantia- Evil Prayers

The Covenant- Dark Conquest, Night of the Blackwinds.

Tha-Norr- Calling Forth the Spirits of the Elements, The Fortress will Fall,

Re: Slow Paced Black-Metal
September 19, 2007, 02:16:02 PM
I have heard a lot about the creative freedom of death metal, about how you can play as fast or slow as you wish. I find that it is not found as often in black metal.

I think black metal is pretty dynamic in terms of creativity and acts like Burzum and Summoning prove it. i don't think pace is an isse because there is a good amount of black metal (albums or songs)which isn't particularly fast.
In fact this "slow feeling" that you mention is more abundant in black metal than death metal.

September 20, 2007, 01:26:47 AM
Quintessence

I thought of this song the second I read the title of the thread.

Dunkelheit is a good example though.  

TC

September 20, 2007, 10:59:08 AM
Khold - all
Samael - first three

September 20, 2007, 07:48:09 PM
Enslaved (at least on the albums that actually mattered) were exceptionally skilled at slow/fast dynamics. Particularly, "Lifandi Lif Undir Hamri" has a very dramatic fast-slow-fast transition in the middle of the song.

September 21, 2007, 02:18:41 AM
I Shalt Become does some good slow black metal, even though it's set up more like ambient music than metal.

September 21, 2007, 03:11:21 PM
Necromantia definitely were masters of slow, haunting BM on the split with Varathron.

Nortt must be included in such a topic; they craft excellent Funeral Doom/Black Metal with a crawling tempo.

Others:
Beherit - "Sadomatic Rites." Very doomy.

Bathory - "Enter The Eternal Fire" was probably the first time Quorthon wrote a completely slow song and it has great atmosphere.

Bathory - "Call From The Grave" is quite adept at using a slower tempo to achieve tension.

Ildjarn - "Fjerde Dag" [track 8 on DFN] has similar strengths.

Blut Aus Nord's Ultima Thulee has its slow, dreamy ambient moments as well.

K

September 22, 2007, 06:01:20 PM
Not familiar  with Nortt.
I find that Ildjarn have a very similar quality to Von. At face level, there is the simplicity, but it also has the very basic drum progression that remains almost static. I haven't listened to Ildjarn until recently, and I find it almost halfway between Von and Darkthrone. It has Von's simplicity and singularly one directional drum progression, and the riff styling of TransHungr/Panzefaust era Darkthrone minus the tremolo picking.

Thanks for taking the thread seriously.

September 23, 2007, 03:25:27 PM
Not familiar  with Nortt.

Check out the release Gudsforladt.

I haven't listened to Ildjarn until recently, and I find it almost halfway between Von and Darkthrone. It has Von's simplicity and singularly one directional drum progression, and the riff styling of TransHungr/Panzefaust era Darkthrone minus the tremolo picking.

This assertion seems about right. I hear a lot of ambient influence as well. He just has a certain way of layering his Guitar and Bass the perfect way to create something truly refreshing.

September 23, 2007, 08:15:47 PM
It doesn't get better than Ras Algethi.

shadowmystic

September 24, 2007, 04:55:32 AM
^Technically a doom album, I can see what you're getting at though.

September 24, 2007, 08:34:13 PM
Von- Von, lamb,(not entirely slow paced but unusual drumming. )

Judas Iscariot- Reign, Cold Earth Slept Below

Necromantia- Evil Prayers

The Covenant- Dark Conquest, Night of the Blackwinds.

Tha-Norr- Calling Forth the Spirits of the Elements, The Fortress will Fall,

Speaking honestly from within your soul, how long is anyone going to really listen to this stuff? It's the simplistic candy of black metal, but slowed down to be different like hipsters at a science museum.

K

September 24, 2007, 11:38:17 PM

Speaking honestly from within your soul, how long is anyone going to really listen to this stuff? It's the simplistic candy of black metal, but slowed down to be different like hipsters at a science museum.

Speaking from the brain, where all the thinking happens, I posted that list in order to find more music to listen too, perhaps find some that isn't 'candy' (like how you left out darkthrone).  Some of what you quoted isn't that simplistic either. Tha-norr, while not the most complex or technical, are definitely not even near the level of von or blasphemy in terms of simplicity. I am exploring the music, and I will most likely be listening to von for years to come but maybe not always in a constant fashion.
  Slowed down to be different? From what? their other work? None of the bands I listed use its pace as a gimmick like you have implied. They have all had fast paced songs, and do not have that kvlt, false elite influence. when these came out, the blast beat trend, as far as I know, had not become the standard.
  'hipsters at a science museum'? You've got me stumped on that one.

September 25, 2007, 02:32:19 AM
Do we really need to categorize metal on such superficial terms, or spend time compiling pointless lists about it, for that matter?  Worthwhile metal is an art form to which either mediation or celebration ought to be directed toward - not a multitude of crude flavors from which a neurotic whim can be satisfied by.

Hard and fast rules are generally for failures, but it seems that making broad-sweeping (and not to mention meaningless) categorizations with regards to metal tend to lead to a dead end unless either inductive or deductive reasoning is involved.

This isnít to imply that slow, brooding black metal isnít without its fair share of intrigue: I personally havenít put much thought toward what makes some of it effective, especially in the face of a fairly unyielding status quo.  But Iím not really seeing the point in randomly listing off groups that happen to play slower than some of their contemporaries.

Maybe we could discuss what it is that makes some of their output worthwhile in either the absence or replacement of certain techniques and approaches?  Anything but tedious listsÖ

September 25, 2007, 07:24:01 AM

What - you don't like Necromantia? Hipster.