Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Chuck Schuldiner: The Pity Party Never Ends

What you have just stated was infact exactly what I meant, however I see now what I wrote was somewhat ambiguous. I was myself thinking of polyphony, counterpoint and contrapuntal interaction between the voice and guitar.

What you're describing reminds more of the early Absurd demos. Although their style was a bit simpler than most folk and death metal, i think they layed a foundation and never got the chance to really develop this approach.
In a state of permanent Abyss

I'm pretty sick of the "Chuck is God" faggoty videos on youtube. It's time someone made a video that summarizes this thread.

I'm pretty sick of the "Chuck is God" faggoty videos on youtube. It's time someone made a video that summarizes this thread.
Well, Chuck did invent and perfect death metal, so he kind of is a god.  People just don't like this being mentioned because he was Jewish.  If you disagree you're a racist!

Despite the failings, I saw Morbid Angel and Death on their Leprosy tour at a tiny little Jamaican reggae club in some slums. It was a great show for each band in a particularly gritty, sultry setting.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

I have been banned from several forums for even mentioning that Chuck died of AIDS. Metalheads are very touching about this, because they want their own Jesus. They feel justified if they have a martyr to cry over, and many of them claim to enjoy his "music."

Most recent bans:

* Ultimate metal
* SMN news
* Relapse

I don't hate the Schuldiner or his band by any means, but I don't think all the handshaking and butt-touching I see over it all is very necessary. Death's most "popular" albums are my least liked albums, and it seems like many of the people that have just recently caught onto Symbolic and on are AIDS patients bent on the conquest to collect "extreme" metal written in the stadium-style heavy metal.

Death Metal has more dimensions than that, like NOT adhering to simplistic structures written primarily on the major scale and harmonized for easy listening effect.

I think Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel is an exercise/ study in musical and conceptual greatness more than a mere album, and I can't say that about any of Death's releases.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

I've tried to find something good in this band. I can't when I read the comments on this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dStxI7zk4

Do your part for metal and enlighten these lost souls.

Death was actually the band that got me into "real" metal with the Human album. I do hate how they view him as a god though. Usually just loser guitarists.

I do hate how they view him as a god though. Usually just loser guitarists.

What I find even stranger (funnier), is that THE FIRST UNDERMAN CHURCH OF CHUCK exploded amongst the undesirables somewhere in the 2002-2007 period. I found it strange as Death really never struck me as something special at all. Their heavy/death metal albums were sorry excuses for superior Death Metal that was coming out of Sweden at the time. When I was first getting into "real" metal, it was right after he had died, and I watched THE FIRST UNDERMAN CHURCH OF CHUCK get bigger with each year among ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, Pink Frothy AIDS and Children of Bodom fans.

I listened to group of friends of mine explain to me last month about how they're really starting to appreciate the later works of THE FIRST UNDERMAN CHURCH OF CHUCK. I treated the infection quickly with a dose of Necrophobic and it hasn't been a problem since :)

I declare this post as a nomination for THE FIRST UNDERMAN CHURCH OF CHUCK as the law of the land.

Edit: I realize this will be quite difficult as we write the word "Death" so much, As in Death Metal. Maybe some of the ANUS higher-ups can use that for "Chuck Schuldiner" then.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

What I find even stranger (funnier), is that THE FIRST UNDERMAN CHURCH OF CHUCK exploded amongst the undesirables somewhere in the 2002-2007 period.

Right after he died, Sherlock.

What I find even stranger (funnier), is that THE FIRST UNDERMAN CHURCH OF CHUCK exploded amongst the undesirables somewhere in the 2002-2007 period.

Right after he died, Sherlock.

Reading whole posts might do you some good before you start playing the Hessian version of the game telephone.

When I was first getting into "real" metal, it was right after he had died, and I watched THE FIRST UNDERMAN CHURCH OF CHUCK get bigger with each year among ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?, Pink Frothy AIDS and Children of Bodom fans.

The very same post. I think we all contract a little AIDS when remarking on this thread.

The very same post. I think we all contract a little AIDS when remarking on this thread.

It's all good brother. I agree about the HIV-positive nature of THE FIRST UNDERMAN CHURCH OF CHUCK. There's so much better Metal than that shitty act.

People love martyrs and false heroes because they can project themselves into those icons.

Chuck didn't invent death metal; he came in really the second wave (after Bathory, Hellhammer and Slayer) and with the help of Kam Lee and Chris Reifert, made a great album. After that, it got more blockheaded, so he started making fast heavy metal.

I like early Death, but I hate the way people have:

(a) Made Chuck into a martyr. Chuck himself would hate this thoroughly Christian, pandering, whorish, crowd of idiots behavior.
(b) Claimed he invented death metal or was the father of it. Unlikely, says history.

Otherwise, I'm kind of sick of hearing about Chuck either way. The mooning over his martyrdom (from AIDS) happened in the early 2000s and was among the first wave of the indie shitheads who later infested metal. Now it's almost over, although his harridan of a sister is trying to resurrect it for cash, since her day jobs as stripper and teacher's aide didn't work out.